Western Caribbean Cruise

kenpyland

The island is beautiful - it's the people.

Many are so poor that they are beyond pushy!

I have seen locals walk along side some vacationers and try to be friendly by asking their name. All the while, carving their name into pieces of wood. When they're done, the shove the wood in the vacationers face and demand money.

I have also heard friends say they have had their hands grabbed by little kids and quickly had bracelets placed on their wrists. Once again, demanding money.

If Carnival would make a private pier where only approved vendors could come in, I would visit the island......but not in it's current condition.

We have had this also in Nassau...A Child put a bracelet on me and then when I said no thank you and returned it he started crying and beggiing.

Jamaica and Grand Cayman are two very different islands, Jamaica is a large island with wall to wall slums and pushy vendors, Grand Cayman is tiny (you can see the ocean on the other side from the Lido deck) and is wall to wall condo's with no slums. Sure there are some beautiful vistas in Jamaica, but there were also plenty of places where I was glad the tour van did not break down, but for the most part it was just depressing much like watching a "feed the children" telethon.

I agree with everything you said except your last statement. Beautiful island with lots of pushy trying to sell you anything including drugs people...kind of reminds me of Dominica which i also didn't care for.

Archived