Bubblebum Inflatable Booster seat

koalagurl

I have been going NUTS trying to figure out what to do about car seats for my 4 and 6 year olds for our travel / cruise in Europe. In Europe, kids up to 12 need to be in a booster (unlike here in the US.)

Now at home, my kids are still in harnessed seats, and I understand a harness is safer.

But I was so excited to find the Bubblebum booster. :) Mine should arrive in a few days, and I will report back. But I know this is a topic that is discussed often, and felt I had to share (sorry, I was just a little excited, especially after I saw the cost to add 2 booster seats to my rental car reservation.)

http://www.bubblebum.us/

• 5 years later...
I have been going NUTS trying to figure out what to do about car seats for my 4 and 6 year olds for our travel / cruise in Europe. In Europe, kids up to 12 need to be in a booster (unlike here in the US.)

Now at home, my kids are still in harnessed seats, and I understand a harness is safer.

But I was so excited to find the Bubblebum booster. :) Mine should arrive in a few days, and I will report back. But I know this is a topic that is discussed often, and felt I had to share (sorry, I was just a little excited, especially after I saw the cost to add 2 booster seats to my rental car reservation.)

http://www.bubblebum.us/

I know this was a LONG time ago, BUT how did it go? Did you feel it was safe for the kids?

We have used a bubblebum. If you use the straps properly that attached to the shoulder belt and lap belt it is supposed to be as safe as any other booster (even if flat). It was well worth it for our family and worked well for traveling. For longer trips, recommend this for maybe 5 or 6 yo old plus as the younger kids will not often sit up straight for longer trips.

my sister is a car seat tech- very car seat aware, her stepdaughter was harnessed until she was 7 or 8 I think. Anyway, she used a bubble bum, even while her daughter was still harnessed in her car, to carry to school in her backpack to use on the days when her mom was picking her up (my sis and her hubby have primary custody if his daughter). She felt it was a pretty good booster. If your kid is big enough to be in a low back booster (physically and emotionally, not just legally), it works as well as any other low back booster.

We've had one for DD since right before she turned 5. She's always been very tall for her age so she has been in a high back booster with seatbelt since that time too. We used the bubble bum in NYC last year and have used it when she's had to ride with a family member who doesn't have a seat. If we fly anywhere that might require car travel we'll take it with us. It takes very little room, weighs almost nothing and works great!

We have used the bubblebum multiple times on trips for shuttle vans & taxis. Agree with above, if your child is already approved/well adapted for a low back booster, this is a great travel alternative as it is easy to pack in the carryons

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We love our Bubblebum(s) for our 6 year old in travel and "in a pinch" situations! We recently used it when she had a friend come home for a sleepover and we needed to fit 3 across. It is one of the best inventions and I think it's be great for an already-boostered child :)

Sometimes you can find them on Zulily for a good deal. You've got to look for some discontinued patterns :)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the Mifold yet? My ODD is in a low back booster in our second car and does great, but I'm looking for options for travel/carpool. I did have her just take he lowback booster to school one day when our sitter had to pick her up, but something smaller would be ideal.

I was about to buy a bubblegum, but I am also intrigued by Mifold for these situations

Has anyone tried the Mifold yet? My ODD is in a low back booster in our second car and does great, but I'm looking for options for travel/carpool. I did have her just take he lowback booster to school one day when our sitter had to pick her up, but something smaller would be ideal.

I was about to buy a bubblegum, but I am also intrigued by Mifold for these situations

We just got the Mifold and it's so easy to travel with and so light. The only thing is you need to have a shoulder strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mifolds work quite well for some kids in some vehicles, and not well at all for different kids, or for those same kids in different vehicles. It is more likely to work for bigger kids than for smaller kids.