Boarding Day: What are the FIRST things we should accomplish when boarding?

hwfiv

To the Cunard "Veterans":

I know there are certain things that you should take care of as quickly as you can upon boarding: like Todd English reservations and Spa Appointments.

But I'd love to know from the "veterans" on here - what are the things that you arrange for, and take care of within the first hour or two upon boarding, that a newbie might not realize should have been taken care of.

I find with all travel situations (whether cruises or destination vacations), you find out about halfway through the trip, when you discover that there's something you won't be able to do because you didn't arrange for it quickly enough, that someone "in the know" will tell you "oh, you should have arranged for that right away".

So I'd LOVE to make sure I cross those t's and dot those i's (whatever they are) as quickly as I can upon boarding.

Thanks!

I know there are certain things that you should take care of as quickly as you can upon boarding: like Todd English reservations and Spa Appointments.

But I'd love to know from the "veterans" on here - what are the things that you arrange for, and take care of within the first hour or two upon boarding, that a newbie might not realize should have been taken care of.

I find with all travel situations (whether cruises or destination vacations), you find out about halfway through the trip, when you discover that there's something you won't be able to do because you didn't arrange for it quickly enough, that someone "in the know" will tell you "oh, you should have arranged for that right away".

So I'd LOVE to make sure I cross those t's and dot those i's (whatever they are) as quickly as I can upon boarding.

Thanks!

I have a feeling that this is one of those questions to which the number of different answers will be equal to the number of responders. I think it's very much a matter of personal choice but, two things that I always like to get out of the way rapidly are:

a. Check on our table assignment in the Britannia Restaurant and negotiate any alteration if required.

b. Get the unpacking done - we generally only unpack those items that need to be stored on hangers plus a few things like T shirts to fill up the shelf space. The socks and underwear and so on stay in the cases that ago under the bed.

Once those two tasks have been achieved I tend to get myself out on deck for a bit of rust bucket photography - there's usually something new and interesting on offer in Soton.

J

I have a feeling that this is one of those questions to which the number of different answers will be equal to the number of responders. I think it's very much a matter of personal choice but, two things that I always like to get out of the way rapidly are:

a. Check on our table assignment in the Britannia Restaurant and negotiate any alteration if required.

b. Get the unpacking done - we generally only unpack those items that need to be stored on hangers plus a few things like T shirts to fill up the shelf space. The socks and underwear and so on stay in the cases that ago under the bed.

Once those two tasks have been achieved I tend to get myself out on deck for a bit of rust bucket photography - there's usually something new and interesting on offer in Soton.

J

The only new thing you will find in Southamton is Rubbish bins not emptied and some rats due to the bin men strikes

The only new thing you will find in Southamton is Rubbish bins not emptied and some rats due to the bin men strikes

Well, if the bins are floating down Southampton Water, I'll photograph them anyway. My tastes in rust-buckets are pretty broad :D:D

J

J

Is that something you do by going directly to the Britannia? In terms of negotiating an alteration, what sort of alterations have you found that you needed to negotiate? Different table location? Any suggestions for what to ask for to make the dining experience a better one? Do you ever tell the Maitre D' about the type of dinner companions you'd prefer? I'm VERY much hoping for a lively and fun and interesting group of people (we requested a table for 6, as that's what the Cunard rep suggested). But I suppose we ALL hope that we won't be stuck at the table with several dull quiet people who have nothing much to say, except to comment on the weather. Or worse: being stuck with a complainer or two! I want my Dad to have the trip of a lifetime, and I know I won't put up with dinner companions that spend the whole time complaining about "Cunard isn't what it used to be" types. I'm not one to be confrontational in public situations, but I think in this situation, if confronted with someone like that at dinner, I think I will be very blunt and simply say "this is my first Cunard experience, which I FULLY intend to enjoy, so I'll kindly ask you to discontinue your complaints and stop making me feel like I missed "the good years"!!"

Thanks for your help and input! Very very helpful!!

Is that something you do by going directly to the Britannia? In terms of negotiating an alteration, what sort of alterations have you found that you needed to negotiate? Different table location? Any suggestions for what to ask for to make the dining experience a better one? Do you ever tell the Maitre D' about the type of dinner companions you'd prefer? I'm VERY much hoping for a lively and fun and interesting group of people (we requested a table for 6, as that's what the Cunard rep suggested). But I suppose we ALL hope that we won't be stuck at the table with several dull quiet people who have nothing much to say, except to comment on the weather. Or worse: being stuck with a complainer or two! I want my Dad to have the trip of a lifetime, and I know I won't put up with dinner companions that spend the whole time complaining about "Cunard isn't what it used to be" types. I'm not one to be confrontational in public situations, but I think in this situation, if confronted with someone like that at dinner, I think I will be very blunt and simply say "this is my first Cunard experience, which I FULLY intend to enjoy, so I'll kindly ask you to discontinue your complaints and stop making me feel like I missed "the good years"!!"

Well, we absolutely have to have a table for two because there's no way on earth that a total stranger would be prepared to suffer me at their table for the duration of a cruise. So I go down to the Britannia Restaurant where is usually quite a lengthy queue already and I check with Maitre D' (or whoever is dealing with the queries) that we have definitely got a 2. If we haven't then I ask very nicely if there's any chance of being moved to one.

I also need to check the location of the table in the restaurant as my wife has limited mobility and uses one of those scooter thingies to get around the ship so it's better for us to have a table near the entrance. As you can see, it's very rare for me that table companions are an issue - if there were any complaints they would be made about me, not by me! :D:D

J

We tend to board early so our ritual begins with checking our table in the Britannia. The maitre'd will be there and if you are not satisied with your table a kind word usually goes a long way. Then we will go to Kings Court for a quick lunch followed by a visit to the Terrace Bar (Deck 8) which will be the only open bar when you board. Usually by this time our luggage will have arrived so we head to our cabin to unpack and, if time allows, walk the deck with cameras in hand until the safety drill.

A couple of other things we learned over time: The spa usually starts running specials after a day or so into your voyage. You may arrange for a galley tour by talking with the Purser's Office. If you enjoy your time onboard and think you would like to take another Cunard cruise it may be beneficial to visit the cruise office and put down a $300 (fully refundable but must be used within 4 years) deposit for a future cruise. This buys you a future onboard credit (usually $200 to $300 pp for the cruise you subsequently book) as well as a greatly reduced deposit. If there is an author onboard and you would like to purchase a signed copy of his/her book but don't like to stand in lines you may ask the nice folks at the bookstore to have one signed for you. If you have any issues that need to be resolved your cabin steward most likely will bend over backwards to help you. The enrichment programs tend to be good to excellent and the Julliard Jazz folks are excellent. You may order off the menu. We almost always have a Ceaser salad with dinner. I have heard that you may also have shrimp cocktail as well as steak, salmon or chicken entrees at dinner. One negative, when leaving the ship during port visits we tend to take a long & leisurely breakfast until most folks have left. The lines can be ver long. At some of the ports the ship will provide a complimentary bus into town. Lastly, on the cruises we have been on there is usually a Cruise Critic get together on the first sea day. On QM2 it usually is in the Commodore's Club at 2:00. It is a great opportunity to meet enthusiasts that have lots of knowledge. Have a great time!

The Maitre D' does not know the passengers and what they're like. The only "negotiating" that needs to be done on the first day is if you didn't get any table assignment or if you wanted something specific and didn't get it. Most often this would be people who wanted a table for 2 and didn't get it, or friends who got assigned to different tables. Don't go to the MD and ask for a different table or "table with nice people." He's busy enough on the first day sorting out passengers who have problems. If it turns out that you have a problem with someone at your table, you can go to the MD later and ask to be moved elsewhere. (In all of our cruises we have never had to do this)

The Maitre D' does not know the passengers and what they're like. The only "negotiating" that needs to be done on the first day is if you didn't get any table assignment or if you wanted something specific and didn't get it. Most often this would be people who wanted a table for 2 and didn't get it, or friends who got assigned to different tables. Don't go to the MD and ask for a different table or "table with nice people." He's busy enough on the first day sorting out passengers who have problems. If it turns out that you have a problem with someone at your table, you can go to the MD later and ask to be moved elsewhere. (In all of our cruises we have never had to do this)

Yeah, common sense told me all of this already, but I figured it was worth asking, so I didn't hear back later that I should have stopped by and asked for something specific in terms of types of dinner companions. But, as I said, common sense told me that the LAST thing that a MD needs to worry about on embarkation day, are the personalities at the various table pairings. On the other hand, I've learned from experience, that even questions that seem stupid to ask, can often not be stupid at all. Better to ask the question and risk being chastised here on the board, than to not ask and find out you missed an opportunity. (Not that I took your response as chastisement - I felt it was a very good and helpful answer!)

We tend to board early so our ritual begins with checking our table in the Britannia. The maitre'd will be there and if you are not satisied with your table a kind word usually goes a long way. Then we will go to Kings Court for a quick lunch followed by a visit to the Terrace Bar (Deck 8) which will be the only open bar when you board. Usually by this time our luggage will have arrived so we head to our cabin to unpack and, if time allows, walk the deck with cameras in hand until the safety drill.

A couple of other things we learned over time: The spa usually starts running specials after a day or so into your voyage. You may arrange for a galley tour by talking with the Purser's Office. If you enjoy your time onboard and think you would like to take another Cunard cruise it may be beneficial to visit the cruise office and put down a $300 (fully refundable but must be used within 4 years) deposit for a future cruise. This buys you a future onboard credit (usually $200 to $300 pp for the cruise you subsequently book) as well as a greatly reduced deposit. If there is an author onboard and you would like to purchase a signed copy of his/her book but don't like to stand in lines you may ask the nice folks at the bookstore to have one signed for you. If you have any issues that need to be resolved your cabin steward most likely will bend over backwards to help you. The enrichment programs tend to be good to excellent and the Julliard Jazz folks are excellent. You may order off the menu. We almost always have a Ceaser salad with dinner. I have heard that you may also have shrimp cocktail as well as steak, salmon or chicken entrees at dinner. One negative, when leaving the ship during port visits we tend to take a long & leisurely breakfast until most folks have left. The lines can be ver long. At some of the ports the ship will provide a complimentary bus into town. Lastly, on the cruises we have been on there is usually a Cruise Critic get together on the first sea day. On QM2 it usually is in the Commodore's Club at 2:00. It is a great opportunity to meet enthusiasts that have lots of knowledge. Have a great time!

SOOOOO helpful!! Thank you!!

Thanks!

Do you mean veterans of Cunard or do you mean Cunard passengers who happen to be (military) veterans?

hwfiv, you have certainly done your homework. You are going to be one of the most prepared first time QM2 passengers!!! I agree with Classiccruiser777 about waiting to book the spa. When you return to your cabin the first night the programme for the next day should be in your cabin. It will list the spa specials for the next day. On port days, (and I believe you have several port days on your cruise), they offer great discounts. The only reason I would go to the spa on the first day would be to inquire about the cost of a spa pass for the full voyage if you are interested in that. You might be able to negotiate a good price. I also agree about purchasing the Future Cruise Deposit if you think you will sail on a Cunard ship in the next four years. When you get to your cabin, you should find a card with your table assignment. You can go to Britannia and find the location and size of your table. If for any reason, it is not what you requested, you can visit the Maitre d'. As others have said, the line will be long the first day. If you don't see any major problems with the table, I would give it a try the first night. I love your response to complainers!!!! If for any reason, you are not happy, I would visit the Maitre D' the next day when he is less busy. By this time, many will have moved tables and there will be more choices. Since your voyage is so short, you don't won't to wait very long if you decide to change tables. Hopefully, you will find yourself at a delightful table with fun and interesting table mates. After having lunch, I would tour the ship. On our first voyage on the QM2 (a 10 day voyage), we left the ship noting the parts of the ship that we never explored. Of course, that was an excellent reason to book another voyage and we have done that several times since that first one. I know you are going to have an excellent experience. Hopefully you will decide to book a longer voyage in the future. Come back and give us a full report. Bon Voyage!

I also need to check the location of the table in the restaurant as my wife has limited mobility and uses one of those scooter thingies to get around the ship so it's better for us to have a table near the entrance.

Jimmy - at Christmas we had a table that was about 2/3 of the way to the back or the restaurant and to the port side. My mi=other had no difficulty in getting her scooter in and out. At breakfast we sometimes got a table right at the stern by the windows - again we never had a problem with the scooter.

Two things that are worth noting is that often the waiters will move the scooter and park it for you. Firstly, make sure they bring you the key - otherwise there is a tendency for it to be left turned on and, secondly, they tend to park it right up by the entrance to the restaurant. When M wants it you might find it quicker to go and collect it rather than waiting for a waiter to find it and bring it back. :)

the first things i do are:

A: Cancel auto tipping 9yes i know how hard the staff work but i always leave a considerable amount before disembarkation)

B: Book the Spa & Alternative Dining venues if im going to use them

C: Find my stateroom (i normally have an idea on wher eit is but its amazing how many times ive booked a stateroom on deck 10 and been looking on deck 8 maybe thats just me :rolleyes:)

D: Head for a bit of lunch or relax with a bottle of bubbly in the room

LAST THING I DO IS UNPACK TO MUCH TO DO PEOPLE TO SEE THINGS TO BOOK :D but my way of things will be completely different to another passengers way

Jimmy - at Christmas we had a table that was about 2/3 of the way to the back or the restaurant and to the port side. My mi=other had no difficulty in getting her scooter in and out.

You haven't seen M driving the thing have you? The fewer tables she has to pass, with all the disaster potential that that involves, the better for all concerned. All she needs are scythe blades attached to the wheel hubs!!!

:D:D:D

J

A: Cancel auto tipping 9yes i know how hard the staff work but i always leave a considerable amount before disembarkation)

I think that very few will make this their first task. I'd hope (although I know better) that very few would do it at all.

WD

You haven't seen M driving the thing have you?

And you haven't seen mother :eek: We went to Long Marston Open Gardens last Sunday; she succeeded in running over my foot in the second place we visited. I spent the rest of the visit hobbling and ended up with a bruised foot :(

All she needs are scythe blades attached to the wheel hubs!

If M wants some blades then mother can recommend somewhere that sells them cheap!

Thanks!

---------------------------------

You already have received some great suggestions here. Here are some thoughts from me as well --

If you are in Britannia, and if you are boarding "early" and planning on lunch, I do recommend to head to your cabin, drop off any hand luggage, if you like, scout out your cabin (a couple of minutes), and maybe grab the small folding maps and the daily program and take those with you when you head up to King's Court for lunch before the crowd.

If you get there on the early side you will avoid long lines, and can get a table without problem, and also that will get this "out of the way" so you can then explore the ship, and do other errands. Look at the program for key activities that day, including that day's spa specials (if any), just in case you want to take advantage right away. There are often specials listed, but not always. Specials tend to be on port days, although that has changed a little bit recently. If this is your first time on board, you may want to stop by the spa sometime around 2 pm or thereafter, even if you do not want to book at that time. They do give short tours of the spa, and you will then have a better idea of the facility. (By the way, you can also book spa appointments by phone from the comfort of your own cabin, rather than wait in long lines, if you like). Likewise with Todd English. I do like to stop by, but the phone is also effective.

Don't get so tied up with these appointments that you miss just getting around and exploring the ship, inside and out. Most important

to enjoying your trip, for me at least, is getting familiar with the ship, finding "favorite places" (including where you want to be for sailing and the "sailaway party"), and just finding the various venues. Get familiar with Decks 2 & 3 when you can. Figure out which stairways and elevators make the most sense, depending upon your cabin location. If you have your camera with you, start taking pictures and memorializing your experience. Relax. You are on vacation.

Looking forward to meeting you on board, perhaps at the CC meet and greet. It really is a great ship. :)

How does one go about making reservation on day of boarding (for an evening later in the cruise)? Last time we were on QM2 we had to phone the next morning and by the time we got someone on the phone, we were unable to secure a reservation. Any suggestions for arranging this on the afternoon of boarding?

---------------------------------

You already have received some great suggestions here. Here are some thoughts from me as well --

If you are in Britannia, and if you are boarding "early" and planning on lunch, I do recommend to head to your cabin, drop off any hand luggage, if you like, scout out your cabin (a couple of minutes), and maybe grab the small folding maps and the daily program and take those with you when you head up to King's Court for lunch before the crowd.

If you get there on the early side you will avoid long lines, and can get a table without problem, and also that will get this "out of the way" so you can then explore the ship, and do other errands. Look at the program for key activities that day, including that day's spa specials (if any), just in case you want to take advantage right away. There are often specials listed, but not always. Specials tend to be on port days, although that has changed a little bit recently. If this is your first time on board, you may want to stop by the spa sometime around 2 pm or thereafter, even if you do not want to book at that time. They do give short tours of the spa, and you will then have a better idea of the facility. (By the way, you can also book spa appointments by phone from the comfort of your own cabin, rather than wait in long lines, if you like). Likewise with Todd English. I do like to stop by, but the phone is also effective.

Don't get so tied up with these appointments that you miss just getting around and exploring the ship, inside and out. Most important

to enjoying your trip, for me at least, is getting familiar with the ship, finding "favorite places" (including where you want to be for sailing and the "sailaway party"), and just finding the various venues. Get familiar with Decks 2 & 3 when you can. Figure out which stairways and elevators make the most sense, depending upon your cabin location. If you have your camera with you, start taking pictures and memorializing your experience. Relax. You are on vacation.

Looking forward to meeting you on board, perhaps at the CC meet and greet. It really is a great ship. :)

All great suggestions!! Thanks. Yep, I'll be there at the CC meet and greet on the 2nd, if you're on our July 1st voyage. Will look forward to thanking you for this wonderful information in person!

And thanks to everyone else. I can't tell you how helpful all of this information is!! I'm a "planner", so it's nice to know these things prior to boarding!

I'm planning on treating my father and I to a spa manicure/pedicure on the last day of our trip (will be good for his aging feet, after I've walked him like crazy all over the ship, Halifax and Boston!). Since our last day is also an "at sea" day, I'm guessing it will be a popular day at the spa, and as manicures/pedicures are on the lower end of spa treatment prices, I'm also guessing that they'll get booked up.

I've hesitated on making the appointment ahead of time, because I understand there are interesting activities to do on board on "at sea" days, including potential workshops with RADA. As a working professional actor, I think a RADA workshop on the QM2 would be SO fun, so I wouldn't want to miss that chance because my spa appointment is booked at the same time.

I've called Cunard, and they said they have no way of knowing what activities will be offered on our "at sea" days, and couldn't give me any guidance as to whether I'd be better to book a morning spa appointment or afternoon spa appointment if I wanted to enjoy a workshop or other activities.

Now I also understand that they offer spa specials as well, which is also attractive, as I wouldn't mind taking advantage of a price reduction on our treatments! But since this is something that I DEFINITELY want to treat my father and myself to, I feel a bit uncomfortable waiting to book it til I'm on board.

What do to, what to do...

I think my inclination is to book our spa treatments ahead of time, for right after breakfast and hope the RADA workshop (or other activities that seem interesting) is an afternoon thing.

Suggestions?

(And my SECOND inclination is to book a longer trip next time!! But getting my lovebird parents to spend even 6 days apart is always a challenge!! If only she could tolerate the ocean... poor Mom suffers so badly from seasickness, so this 5 nighter is about all I could talk Dad into, and I can only imagine what it's going to cost me in the ship to shore calls he's going to make every day to tell her he misses her. We should all have those kinds of problems, right? haha)

Archived