Solo Cruising on NCL - How's Dinner?

cv322

I have always cruised with a huge gang....family and friends. We always looked out for singles and couples who looked lost and "adopted" them into our gang. In a week and a half I am doing a solo cruise for the first time on the Pearl and am a little apprehensive, but keep reminding myself that there are lots of folks just like my "gang" on board and all I have to be is friendly.

Hope you have a great time and find a like-minded gang :D

• 2 weeks later...
I'm one of them. I went on the Norwegian Dawn in November of 2006 and was treated abominably in the dining rooms. I didn't know why, because the service charge was added automatically, so they couldn't have been afraid that I would stiff them.

I don't really know how you can insist on not sitting alone. If other people say that they don't want to sit with you, they won't be seated with you. One day at lunchtime, I waited on the side while the hostess. at my request, asked people who entered the dining room if they would like to sit with someone they didn't know. No one wanted to sit with a stranger. After a while of standing there and feeling humiliated, I finally sat down at a table by myself.

As for asking to be seated with other solos, it can be done if another solo enters the dining room within a minute of the time that you do. There were three dining rooms on the Dawn (i believe that nowadays, one of those three dining rooms is a surcharge restaurant), and it occurred to me that maybe at the same time I was asking to be seated with other people, there were solos at the other two dining rooms asking to be seated with other people, and there was absolutely no way to get us together.

I'm not sure if eating at the buffet is much better if you're alone. If you sit down and realize that you forgot a spoon or napkin, there is no way to go back and get one and be certain that your food will still be on the table when you get back.

I joined the roll call, and it was going to be someone's birthday during the cruise, and we all wrote down our names and cabin numbers so that we could be contacted to get together for the birthday dinner. No one ever contacted me.

I never even ran into anyone from the roll call on the ship again, with the exception of one woman and her husband. When I told them about waiting on the side in the dining room, hoping that someone would come in and be willing to sit with me, the woman said that there was a time that she and her husband went into the dining room, and they were asked if they would sit with a stranger, and she said no. NCL passengers don't like to sit with strangers!

I am starting to feel like I might have made a mistake!

I'm one of them. I went on the Norwegian Dawn in November of 2006 and was treated abominably in the dining rooms. I didn't know why, because the service charge was added automatically, so they couldn't have been afraid that I would stiff them.

I called NCL and asked about single diners being treated differently than groups in the MDR. She told me that single diners should NOT be treated any differently and there's a guest services desk onboard to report things like that. The dining staff - in all the restaurants - should be doing their best to make it as a good an experience for all the passengers, no matter how many people are at the table.

OTOH, she did mention (and I have no idea if this applies to what you experienced or not) that since the mostly-non-American waiters tend to be more reserved/formal than American waiters, some people take that to be rudeness and complain about that too.

Iv not had any problems with waiters that couldnt be worked out. Most problems were with the materdee who seats people at tables. Unless you give him $5 each time he seats you he seems to put solos in the worst locations and they dont really care about solos . A group means tips a solo means tip. They dont want to put solos at a table for 4 or more . They look for a table for 2 . Most couples grab the good tables for 2. 3 times I was put by doors going in and out dining room. Finally I told him stirnly no more . If they want to do something pick a table for 8 and just seat singles and solos at it. I thiink thats the best. When that fills start another table. CARL

Most problems were with the materdee who seats people at tables. Unless you give him $5 each time he seats you he seems to put solos in the worst locations and they dont really care about solos.

I've spent over 50 nights aboard 4 different NCL ships and have never experienced anything like that. They usually give me a 2-top, often by a window. I have never felt that couples got more desirable seating.

Iv been on quite a few more cruises than that . I started NCL in 86 on the SS Norway , Westward, Windward, Pearl , jewell and epic. Service has gone from great to so so as a solo traveler. . Im going by my experence . I just talked to my NCL rep about a jan cruise but I havent decieded. I proably wont go on any NCL but the Epic as a solo as they do go out of their way to acomidate solos. Traveling with my family I like Celebrity , HAL or princess . But I v tried most all of them . I try to do 2 to 3 cruises per year most 10 days or more . Some here have good luck some dont. Luck of draw mostly by who seats you where they put you.On my jan RCL Jewell cruise I didnt like my table so I ate all my meals in Chops grill. Had a great time and the lead singer also ate there so we sat together the whole cruise. It was her last cruise before going home. You never know who youll meet . CARL

Funny you should mention, but my PVP had originally suggested the Epic & I initially booked it, and then practically immediately transferred the booking to the Gem because I would rather leave from NY. But now, having read more about it, I would certainly be receptive to traveling to Florida to board the Epic. It's sooooo big though lol :eek:.

Hi CV, i thought about this today- as quite a few of my coworkers are taking cruises (not solo) but they tend to go on RCCL for the most part and one is going on Disney.

In hindsight, I would have flown from PHL to Miami and done the Epic- it would have made for a better week.

If its not too late, I would recommend reconsidering. From all of the reviews I read, the Epic would have been a better choice for me.

I was so hung up on getting a good rate on the Jewel (only had a 25% single supplement) that I missed out on the good studio rates

I just returned from a solo cruise on the NCL Jade (my second cruise). They didn't have this last year, that I remember anyway, but there was a Solo's Luncheon on the first Sea Day of the week. A staff member will act as host, and once a small group is formed, he/she will lead you to the main dining-room for lunch. It's a nice way to meet people, and if you connect, you can make meal times a shared event.

They also have a Solo's Mixer hour every evening. I went one night but no one attended.

I hope that helps.

April

I called NCL and asked about single diners being treated differently than groups in the MDR. She told me that single diners should NOT be treated any differently and there's a guest services desk onboard to report things like that. The dining staff - in all the restaurants - should be doing their best to make it as a good an experience for all the passengers, no matter how many people are at the table.

OTOH, she did mention (and I have no idea if this applies to what you experienced or not) that since the mostly-non-American waiters tend to be more reserved/formal than American waiters, some people take that to be rudeness and complain about that too.

One way that I was treated differently was that when I shared a meal with strangers (it happened a few times), the waiter would always tell us what kinds of bread were in the bread basket. When I ate alone, he would just slap the bread basket down on the table and walk away. I asked another solo passenger if he experienced the same treatment, and he agreed that the waiter always told them about the break when he ate with someone, but when he was alone, it was "slap it down and walk away."

I would have felt funny reporting to guest services that my waiter was guilty of "slap it down and walk away." But when I ate by myself, I brought a book to the table, and after making my selection, I would put the closed menu down on the table, which I thought was a signal that I had decided what I wanted to order, and then read. And sometimes I would get lost in my book, and I would realize that 20 minutes had gone by. And I would ask someone to get my waiter/waitress. Invariably, the waiter/waitress said, "I didn't know you came in here to eat! I thought you came in here to read!"

I have a feeling that when couples or groups decided on what they wanted to order, put their closed menus down on the table, and started talking to each other, they were never ignored by their waiters/waitresses saying "I don't know you came in here to eat! I thought you came in here to talk to each other!"

So much for treating all passengers the same. And it had nothing to do with how formal the waiters/waitresses were.

There were also times that a busboy took my order for something and never brought it to me, and I had to send someone to look for him, and he told me that he COMPLETELY forgot about it. When I asked if he had forgotten everyone else's orders, too, or just mine, he assured me that he remembered everyone else's orders. Mine was the only one forgotten.

I had no problem getting a decent table, but whenever I told the hostess that if someone came in and asked to be seated with a stranger, she could seat him/her with me, she always looked at me as if I had three heads and very cautiously said okay. But when I sat down, the waitstaff immediately cleared the table of the other place setting, despite my protests that someone else might be seated with me. I guess they knew that the hostess wasn't going to bother asking anyone to sit with me.

I am starting to feel like I might have made a mistake!

That's how I felt about doing the Jewel. At least if you go on the Epic there will be others in the same boat as you (no punt intended!!!)

I do pretty well meeting people at concerts, alumni dinners, baseball games but to be 100% honest i was out of sync the whole week.

I would encourage you to see about switching to the Epic.

One way that I was treated differently was that when I shared a meal with strangers (it happened a few times), the waiter would always tell us what kinds of bread were in the bread basket. When I ate alone, he would just slap the bread basket down on the table and walk away. I asked another solo passenger if he experienced the same treatment, and he agreed that the waiter always told them about the break when he ate with someone, but when he was alone, it was "slap it down and walk away."

I would have felt funny reporting to guest services that my waiter was guilty of "slap it down and walk away." But when I ate by myself, I brought a book to the table, and after making my selection, I would put the closed menu down on the table, which I thought was a signal that I had decided what I wanted to order, and then read. And sometimes I would get lost in my book, and I would realize that 20 minutes had gone by. And I would ask someone to get my waiter/waitress. Invariably, the waiter/waitress said, "I didn't know you came in here to eat! I thought you came in here to read!"

I have a feeling that when couples or groups decided on what they wanted to order, put their closed menus down on the table, and started talking to each other, they were never ignored by their waiters/waitresses saying "I don't know you came in here to eat! I thought you came in here to talk to each other!"

So much for treating all passengers the same. And it had nothing to do with how formal the waiters/waitresses were.

There were also times that a busboy took my order for something and never brought it to me, and I had to send someone to look for him, and he told me that he COMPLETELY forgot about it. When I asked if he had forgotten everyone else's orders, too, or just mine, he assured me that he remembered everyone else's orders. Mine was the only one forgotten.

if that kind of service happened to me in a 'real' restaurant, I'd be complaining to the manager (and I have, come to think of it). On the cruise, I'll be talking to the maitre d' / head waiter about it. And then guest services.

I am sailing solo on the Norwegian Sun in September. I chose that cruise because the ports were two of my must have places to see! And, I admit, the price .. since the other choices were longer cruises. I got a balcony at a reasonable rate (still 200% but reasonable)

I have sailed on NCL before but always with a partner. We ate at tables for 2 very often because he was not very social!

From what I am reading here I will have to be pro-active in finding ways to enjoy either my single-dom at dinner or creative ways to get the wait staff to help me find dinner companions! I do not tip until I have had service and I am not the type to suffer any kind of rudeness - but I have learned that humor usually works in lightening the mood!

I have some ideas and when I get back, if they work, I'll post for all!

Laurey

On the cruise, I'll be talking to the maitre d' / head waiter about it. And then guest services.

I did talk to the headwaiter about it, and all he said was that he was sorry, and that he would talk to the guilty parties. But who knows what he said, or what their reactions were?

NCL just doesn't care about solos. On that cruise (November 2006 on the Norwegian Dawn), there was a singles get-together on the first night, where we could sign up for the singles dinner, to be held on the third night. Eight of us attended the get-together and signed up for the singles dinner. I had dinner that night with two of the singles. The next night, there was another singles get-together, but only the two singles that I had dinner with showed up, in addition to me. The third night was the singles dinner, but there was a notice to that affect in the bulletin, and when I got to the table, it was full of people who hadn't signed up for the dinner. (We were told to meet at the dining room, not at a bar.) They just saw the notice and showed up. I was able to get a seat, but most of the people who had signed up for the dinner were turned away for lack of seats.

Very poor planninig. They should have said in their notice "If you haven't signed up already, please do so by X o'clock at wherever."

creative ways to get the wait staff to help me find dinner companions!

I have absolutely no idea how you can "creatively" get the waitstaff find dining companions, unless you instruct them to tell people that you'll pay people $100 or so each if they will eat with you.

For me probably the biggest drawback for cruising with NCL as this dining system does not seem to be geared for the solo cruiser. I have tried sailing with them and it just did not work for me.

I disagree. In my view NCL's system is perfectly geared to the solo passenger because there is never a problem obtaining a table by yourself.

A more accurate (in my opinion) statement would be that NCL does not go out of its way to make special accommodations for solos (or others, for that matter) who want to share tables, etc.

Edited by mtwingcpa

Im just back from Epic and found everything great if you make the effort to join up with the solo traveller group at 6pm each evening. I never dined alone once but if I wanted to I could have. Met a great group of other travellers and just asked if anyone wanted to go to dinner - a group of us went to Taste the first night and it never stopped from there.

Ok,

Gotta get in this discussion. I took my first solo cruise last year in November on the Spirit. It was not a planned single cruise, but turned out that way. I was so afraid of eating alone. I ended up having excellent experiences.

When I would go to the desk, I was asked if I wanted to eat by myself or share. I always said share. Each time I met wonderful people. Even met a woman who ate in the dining room while her husband ate at the buffet. One night another single joined our table. He told me he always cruises alone and has a great time.

My second experience was on the Star in May of this year. I had the same great experiences. One evening I walked up to the desk and was asked if I was willing to sit with another single person who did not want to eat alone. She was a riot.

I am going alone again in Feb. and have no fears. Sure you may meet some people who don't like singles, but in my two cruises, I had nothing but great experiences.

In May there was another single man in our cruise critic group. He was not sure about going by himself, but I could tell by the end of the cruise he enjoyed himself as well.

Just think of all the interesting people you will meet. Keep a positive attitude.

I sailed on the Epic in June as a solo traveler. While I am a new "solo" person, I found it sometimes lonely to eat dinner alone, but the staff was willing and able to seat me any way I wanted. I did meet great people at the solo get togethers and ate dinner with them sometimes.

Good idea to take a book or something if you eat alone. I used the time to type in my journal on my iPad. I suppose I will get more used to eating alone as time progresses. I think it really matters how comfortable you are with it.

The Epic had lots of activities for the solo traveler, but they were really just the same activities for everyone else- it just was advertised for the solo travelers to meet up there.

• 2 years later...
I'll try to re-open this discussion.

Anyone have recent experience going solo on NCL other than the Epic studios?

Do the posts here still describe it accurately? Were you treated fairly?

Have been on the Jade and Epic and can not think of any difference in regard of eating dinner solo. That said I am one of those who does not share a table but eat alone. I got some fantastic tables in the MDR. Some waitstaff was better than other but that is to be expected. I read all of the posts now and can only confirm one statement, I have never gotten an explanation of the bread ;)

Have been on the Jade and Epic and can not think of any difference in regard of eating dinner solo. That said I am one of those who does not share a table but eat alone. I got some fantastic tables in the MDR. Some waitstaff was better than other but that is to be expected. I read all of the posts now and can only confirm one statement, I have never gotten an explanation of the bread ;)

Left to fend for yourself to decipher the bread? That could ruin the whole cruise!

I don't mind being seated with others but am just as prepared to dine solo and enjoy everything and the extra reading or contemplation time. As long as I'm treated decently.

For me probably the biggest drawback for cruising with NCL as this dining system does not seem to be geared for the solo cruiser. I have tried sailing with them and it just did not work for me.

Seconded! Norwegian's Freestyle dining system was developed specifically for groups and families. It was never developed for solos; that's why they get shafted by it: getting bad tables, poor service, or "the look" from groups and couples around them. It'd be interesting to find out which solos are more hard-hit by this: men or women.

It's great that Epic, Breakaway, and Getaway have solo gatherings where people can find groups to eat dinner with. But that just screams "damage control" to me. They probably realized they alienated a sizable demographic of potential customers (read: bonuses for the CEO). It would be best if they reverted to the assigned dining they once had, but after years and years of screaming "Freestyle!!!" until they're blue in the face, that will probably never happen.

In the end, I'll be sticking to Carnival (already tried) and Royal Caribbean (yet to try) for my solo cruises, and save Norwegian for cruising with friends or a romantic partner.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Left to fend for yourself to decipher the bread? That could ruin the whole cruise!

I don't mind being seated with others but am just as prepared to dine solo and enjoy everything and the extra reading or contemplation time. As long as I'm treated decently.

I can't remember being asked if I would want to join a table. When I approach the hostess it is most of the time like "Good evening, table for myself please.". So I would not expect that they will be actively searching a dining partner for you. That will be your job if that is essential.

If you are nice to the staff and have a positive attitude you will be treated more than decently. I think for some solo cruisers when something not optimal happens they will immediatly connect it with because they are solo. I have been overlooked in O'sheehans on the Epic for 15 minutes until I decided to leave but I would never allege them they did it because I was traveling alone. Sometimes things just go wrong, keep smiling and enjoying your vacation.

I can't remember being asked if I would want to join a table. When I approach the hostess it is most of the time like "Good evening, table for myself please.". So I would not expect that they will be actively searching a dining partner for you. That will be your job if that is essential.

If you are nice to the staff and have a positive attitude you will be treated more than decently. I think for some solo cruisers when something not optimal happens they will immediatly connect it with because they are solo. I have been overlooked in O'sheehans on the Epic for 15 minutes until I decided to leave but I would never allege them they did it because I was traveling alone. Sometimes things just go wrong, keep smiling and enjoying your vacation.

Thanks. Same thing happened to me in O'Sheehan's. But I came away with a positive experience overall. Sometimes errors are made or some staff are better at customer service than others. That's just the way it is in the service industry. I completely agree that sometimes you have to let the miscues fall by the wayside rather than dwell on it. Those people work really hard and for most of us our vacation time is too short. I also completely agree that one of the essential things to bring with you every time is a positive attitude. Hope you did get to O'Sheehan's a couple of other times - their pub food was great!