El Palace Hotel vs Hotel 1898 in Barcelona

I am considering the El Palace Hotel in Barcelona for a couple of nights pre-cruise. Does anyone have any experience with this hotel? It gets great reviews on TripAdvisor but would like to know how far it is from the port and how close it would be to La Rambla? The other hotel we are thinking of is Hotel 1898.

I realize both of these are somewhat priced but we have had a tough couple years with health issues and treating ourselves to a fabulous hotel and a suite on cruise back to the US. But I still want to get the most for my money.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

We've stayed at Hotel 1898 in 2007 and 2009. We loved it.The second time We splurged and got a Deluxe that had a huge private terrace that we used every morning and evening. The hotel has a beautiful rooftop pool and lounges with views of The Columbus Statue or that we could spend hours on or simply bring a bottle of wine up and enjoy.

Some people complain it can be noisy with hearing people at night since it is right on Las Ramblas but we found it quiet. Perhaps it is because we had upgraded rooms. There is a Starbucks right next door.

Check out the website and visit it on tripadvisor dot com. There are lots of pictures. I periodically check out the prices since someday we will go back and enjoy one of our favorite hotels in one of our favorite cities.

My vote is for Hotel 1898 as well. In addition to the fabulous rooftop terrace and the great rooms, I loved the grotto pool in the basement - great for a refreshing dip after a hot day of touring. There were dry and steam saunas as well for hotels guests and, of course, a spa. The Starbucks is nearby and inexpensive for breakfast, there are many restaurants nearby and it's a quick walk to the Bouqueteria market de St. Joseph.

Dear friends:

Greetings from Madrid.

The Palace Hotel is the former Ritz -- a legendary hotel in Barcelona. I don't remember the exact reason why, but a few years ago that hotel lost the legal right to name itself Ritz.

They closed the hotel a few years ago and completely redid it. It is now spectacular. The hotel holds a lot of history and is completely brand new at the same time.

Since it's not too long since the Palace reopened, there are lots of specials to be had at that hotel.

It's close enough to Las Ramblas, but technically speaking it's in a more upscale neighborhood. Contrary to what tourists usually believe, Las Ramblas is not considered to be a nice neighborhood.

The Hotel 1898 is also a beautiful hotel. However, if rates are comparable or you get a good rate at the Palace, my vote would be for the Palace because it is a five star grand luxury hotel. The 1898, as beautiful as it is, is just a 4-star tourist class hotel.

The Asian restaurant/bar that rents the ground floor of the Hotel 1898 is a marvelous place. Do try it if you end up going there.

Let us know what you decide.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived