You guys owe me ...

cruiserguy11

I'm just finishing my coffee then I'm off.

Thanks Wendy, I had to laugh at your "computer with big numbers"...lol. One of the instructors yesterday was wearing his and I noticed him squinting at it a few times...and he's one of the middle agers.

I also have changed my idea of "they're waiting to pounce on you and fail you" theory. They just want to make certain you've learned it. I suspect everyone in the class will pass AND know what they're supposed to by the end of the class through their teaching. It's nice to have two instructors...they can one on one a lot.

Dunno about the paramilitary camp...200 yards isn't that far. It's just that I'm totally out of any condition to do it in a decent time. I had mentioned to my wife previous to the class I should be on the tread mill, just to get some conditioning. But stupidly didn't so I suffered.

I actually feel good this morning ... so am ready to go check out the fishes again. Haven't seen any in the pool YET but hope springs eternal.

You laugh but big numbers really are helpful. I'm approaching 50 and you'll catch me squinting at my computer. :)

You have a good attitude. Some instructors will just let you slide on the 20 skills because they really don't care or they think they aren't really necessary. Probably 99.9% of the time you'll not need all the skills but the one time you do it will probably save your life. Case in point, I've had to do a mask recovery (pulled off in a strong current), regulator recovery (kicked out of my mouth by another diver), remove gear underwater (got my tank valve hooked on a wreck; my insta-buddy just stood there and watched me struggle).

The most important piece of information, not in the training, it is not a race. Take your time. You have to swim 200 yards. This is really just to see that you are comfortable in the water. Let's say you mis-judge your air supply. You notice you are running low when you head back to the boat. You are forced to surface because you get down to 500 PSI. When you surface you see you are 200 yards from the boat. There is no rush. The boat isn't going to leave without you. Can you make it back to the boat? Doesn't matter how long so long as you can make it back.

Stick with it and it only gets better. I have moments I think back on that, no how bad a day I'm having, brings a smile to my face.

Just got home from the first class. Four hours in the classroom and then four hours in an 11 foot deep pool.

I died. Well, that's a slight exaggeration. I'm 65 years old, in lazy old guy condition and they made us swim 200 yards, then immediately afterwards tread water for 10 minutes. I started first of the seven students in the swim and finished last. :D Not from choice but necessity or I would have died if I'd tried to keep up with them damn young'uns. I did go to the washroom after completing the swim and threading water and threw up. This is true. The instructor followed me just to watch over me. Or he likes to look at puke.

And ya know what ... I was sweatin' over my not having the knowledge of the tables in my head...and two of the students hadn't even cracked the book and two others has only partially done the quizzes.

I'm too tired right now to decide if I like Scuba ... I do know I don't like the pain and complete exhaustion.

And guess what ... I get to do it all over tomorrow morning starting at 8 AM. Mmmmmmmm...more pain.

Cruiseguy

C O N G R A T S

You just completed the hardest part of getting certified for life, 200 yrd swim and float 10 minutes, its all down hill from here, you can put on your skates and coast down hill now, youve got it licked!

I'm home .. I left at 7:30 AM and got home at 8:10 PM. Long day.

We did 5 hours in the classroom, then moved to the pool. 4 hours there then the final test. And guess what ... out of the 50 questions I got only one wrong ... and on that question I simply wrote down the wrong figure. I wrote the RNT and the question wanted the ABT.

So I'm happy. For now, since I am apprehensive about the open water dives next weekend. At least it's in fresh water ... I gag on salt water so during the mask and regulator recoveries I won't be gagging.

Scubadiver88...what you say "The most important piece of information, not in the training, it is not a race. Take your time." So true. We were doing some skill and the instructor came over to us once we'd finished and said exactly what you said ...."Take your time. You guys were racing."

Thanks for your kind words everyone. Oh, and I can now do the tables ... piece of cake ... hahahahaha.

Cruiseguy

C O N G R A T S

You just completed the hardest part of getting certified for life, 200 yrd swim and float 10 minutes, its all down hill from here, you can put on your skates and coast down hill now, youve got it licked!

You're right. It was easier today. Just a very long day.

Thanks to you diver's on here, and your great stories and pics, I've signed up for a scuba course.

$295. PADI certification. All equipment supplied. Mid July.

If I die 50 feet under, I'll come back and haunt you all. :eek:

What scares me the most is my wife is now taking out life insurance on me ...

Just wait until you are diving Palancar Reef in Cozumel or Grand Turk or St Lucia or Aruba, you will be thanking everyone.:D Those are our four favorite dive spots in the Caribbean so far.

• 2 weeks later...

ok cruiserguy itsall your fault!!

You gotme pumpedagain, and I just used my steelworkers neogiated education fund and signed up for the "Rescue Diver" training.

Have to finish 1st aid/cpr cert and the book and quizes before saturday morning.

We dive for two days at haighquarry.com to complete the certification.

Have you completed your OW,so you can think about the Advance OW and icreasing your depth to 110?

Good Luck

Dan

cruiserguy where did you go? Hope all is well.

I finished my Rescue Diver Training, your excitement rubbed off on me, so i signed up. I got 49 out of 50 correct on my final exam like you did. :D

We did two full days of in water also. The first 10 minutes of the first day were very exciting, :eek: not a set up, but very related to our training class. We had a near drowning event of divers in training, and everyone jumped in and the diver was revived and sent to the hospital for followup and observation, very ironic and surreal!!! :rolleyes:

SO are you set to go Cruiser guy ??

cruiserguy where did you go? Hope all is well.

I finished my Rescue Diver Training, your excitement rubbed off on me, so i signed up. I got 49 out of 50 correct on my final exam like you did. :D

We did two full days of in water also. The first 10 minutes of the first day were very exciting, :eek: not a set up, but very related to our training class. We had a near drowning event of divers in training, and everyone jumped in and the diver was revived and sent to the hospital for followup and observation, very ironic and surreal!!! :rolleyes:

SO are you set to go Cruiser guy ??

Still here ... well not ON here but still alive. And glad my lack of enthusiasm got you pumped up...:) Congrats on your completed class.

Still waiting on my card and waiting for our next cruise.

My back was real sore for one week after the final class. I mean REAL sore. At first I thought I had the bends ... lol....but harkening back to my training and remembering the antidote I drank some beer. It didn't help my back but I no longer cared.

And ya know what? I'm still not enthused by scruba diving. I've been snorkling since the class but I had no desire to go deep. Perhaps I'm just one of the few who isn't comfortable under the air layer.

Guess I'll have to wait 50 days till we go to Cabo to see if the wonderful warm water makes me crave being under the surface.

Hey, cruiserguy11, I'm a northwest beginning diver too. I have 1 more class to go and the ow dive to get certified - just in time for a September southern caribbean cruise. I've gone on a couple of intro dives on past trips to the tropics and what I remember is how beautiful it is when you're surrounded by colorful fish and coral and you stop worrying about the dive and enjoy the scenery. I have to keep that in mind during classes because in class it's cold, the pool is boring, and I'm having to do things that are hard and uncomfortable. But I keep thinking about how much I enjoyed even the little beginner dives I've done before and know that next time, I can do even more because now I know what I'm doing.

I'm really impressed that you've stuck with it. Keep it up so you can see what all the hard work leads to. ;)

Cruiser guy.... Don't worry about the swimming requirements.... They are there and they have been done.

Scuba diving is not a see how far you can swim deal or a see how fast you can swim there (until you get to instructor levels). Once you get by that, you can pretty much relax as you swim with your BCD, fins, and mask.... lazing around in the warm clear blue waters of the tropics... relaxing and gazing at fish, fans, and coral....

It's worth the effort, and if you relax and learn that SLOW is best when diving, you will conserve air, energy, and you will see a lot more in the critter world.

Have a good time. Remember, we dive for relaxation and fun. Never do anything diving that makes you uneasy, fearful, or that is done on a dare. If someone is trying to get you to dive over the capabilty and training that you have ... or beyond the safety of your equipment ... take a pass.

I am rescue certified ... (for my own peace of mind)... and I have passed up dives in Roatan and Aruba due to just not feeling comfortable with one dive and due to crappy rental gear on the other. Scuba is fun, but not worth your life....

• 4 weeks later...

OK, cruiserguy11 after reading your story I got off the fence and signed up for my OW course. Now I have the book to read and the swim which I'm worried about since I'm way out of shape. I hope I make. Class in two weeks and open water two weeks after that.

OK, cruiserguy11 after reading your story I got off the fence and signed up for my OW course. Now I have the book to read and the swim which I'm worried about since I'm way out of shape. I hope I make. Class in two weeks and open water two weeks after that.

The TURTLE wins the race not the jack wabbit, dang nabbit.

No time limit on the swim, just pace yourself, and keep moving formard, let the KIDS burn themselfs out. LOL

Good Luck, ..and most important, enjoy ;)

Archived