how much money your wife spends pre-cruise

jlm41

There's only one reasonable solution for this problem: Book more cruises! That way, you can amortize the cost of the items as she reuses them. :D Seriously, she is obviously excited about your vacation so taking this as a hint that she would like more vacations seems reasonable. Once you take this cruise, you may get the "cruise bug" and be ready to take this form of vacation on a regular basis. Hope you have a great time!

I just love this answer! Book more cruises, so you can amortize the cost of the items.:D LOL Sounds perfect to me!

We are taking our first cruise on destiny July 7th.

Wife is going all crazy reading all the packing list on this site.

So far she has spent $1000 buying stuff for the cruise.

over hundred dollar on medicine/lotions etc.

Clothes, Flash light, Alarm clock, shoes, bungee cord, and bunch of other stuff. Some of the big ticket items are dresses for her for dinner etc.

all kinds of stuff from the packing list on this board.

How much do you guys typically spend before the cruise? Is $1000 excessive or is it normal?

Buying new clothes is half the fun!

We took our first Cruise last year and I wanted to pack it all too, listening to what the suggestions were on cruise critic (which are helpful) and I went overboard packing in excitment.... We are going on our 2nd Cruise in January on the Victory and I so overpacked our first trip-we didnt wear 1/2 of it. He wore shorts and t-shirts most days and I wore my swimsuits with skirts (cover-up) most days. We each had slacks/mens dress pants and 2 different tops for the formal nights. We were on the Splendor and they had shampoo, conditioner and body soap dispensers in the showers, they provided two razors, lotion, bandaids, pepto and something else in a dish on the bathroom sink and the hair dryer, so all those things I would have not had to pack. it is easy to do. have a great cruise

I booked Fantasy two weeks before sailing. I couldn't afford to buy new clothes. I looked around in my closet to see what was approrpriate to wear for the weather in October 2010. I packed little by little each day. Didn't buy anything except Advils, small bottles of shampoo and conditioner, and few small things. It worked out great for me. A vacation is stress free and worry free! Had a grand time going alone!

Have a great trip!

I think the keyword here is FIRST. Last year our family went on our FIRST cruise and I did have to go out and buy the things that we don't ordinarily have in our closets and drawers on an everday basis. New sportscoat for my hubby, and new dress shirts for him and our sons. What?...new shirts and jackets?.. well you can't wear any of your old ties with those new shirts. And you might as well get new dress socks instead of the old ones.. i'm mean the shirts, ties and jackets are new.. toss in some socks. Who needs bathingsuits?... everyone! And you need more than one.. can't be seen wearing the same one! :eek: Not to mention dresses for me.. we have 8 dinners.. we need 8 dresses and 2 of them should be alittle fancier than the other 6. New sandals to go with the new dresses... and so on and so on. It can add up to your quote very easily. Now I didn't do this all in one shopping trip; I made purchases over the course of many months leading up our cruise. Now hopefully we'll just re-use alot of these things for the next time. Well maybe not ME.. I can't be seen in pictures wearing the SAME dresses!! ;)

I could have written this same post verbatim!

Tooo funny! (But I think I know him.)

Military? or lawyer?

Just curious: Do you ever travel with the same group twice? or do you have to keep finding new travel companions?:D

Just kidding. I'm sure he's a wonderful man.

Kathy

LOL! Actually, he's a software engineer, but I think he's a wannabe writer also. I think he should use his writing skills someplace other than on travel briefings for his family....agreed?

Yes, he actually refers to "the car" rather than saying "we" and really uses the words ingress and egress. Who does that?

A teacher? Sounds like using SAT words so that the kids will learn them...

Or "Just your husband." :)

Good guess, but I'm actually the teacher in the family (perhaps that's why I understand him.) He's a software engineer and also "just my husband." :p

These jobs must be accomplished prior to heading to the gift shop in search of biological relief, tasty snacks or irreplaceable souvenirs."

If my dad were only this clever - or if only he did not have pit stops on the side of the road - yes ONE of those guys.:rolleyes:

I think my husband had a father like yours, which is why he always is willing to stop for pit stops. Here's a related item from the travel briefing: "When in need of biological relief, inform the DIC as soon as the urge is felt. Do not attempt to be iron-(wo)man. Informing the DIC early allows the DIC to plan a pit-stop for maximal efficiency. Emergency pit-stops ("Gotta go now!!!") are inefficient and detract from the overall average."

Oh, and he included the definition of "overall averages," as follows: "The overall objective is to put as many miles down as quickly as possible thus maximizing Gertie the Garmin's "Overall averages." Gertie will be reset at onset of both ingress and regress legs."

Yes, he calls his GPS by name (Gertie) but the rest of us are, at best, "occupants of the car." :eek:

I think my husband had a father like yours, which is why he always is willing to stop for pit stops. Here's a related item from the travel briefing: "When in need of biological relief, inform the DIC as soon as the urge is felt. Do not attempt to be iron-(wo)man. Informing the DIC early allows the DIC to plan a pit-stop for maximal efficiency. Emergency pit-stops ("Gotta go now!!!") are inefficient and detract from the overall average."

Oh, and he included the definition of "overall averages," as follows: "The overall objective is to put as many miles down as quickly as possible thus maximizing Gertie the Garmin's "Overall averages." Gertie will be reset at onset of both ingress and regress legs."

Yes, he calls his GPS by name (Gertie) but the rest of us are, at best, "occupants of the car." :eek:

Love the travel snippets!! :D

Archived