Travel with a wheelchair

lauriebird

We most likely will need a wheelchair for 1 member of our family for our upcoming cruise. This is a situation that is new for us and I would appreciate any advice or suggestions that would make this a smooth sailing.We do not have a handicap room on our ship, when I planned for this vacation there was not a wheelchair in the picture but you know how life can throw it at you sometimes. Anyway we are less than 2 weeks away from travel and I have never been involved with travel with a wheelchair and trying to be able to sightsee etc. I don't think there will be a problem with the airports involved, I have already notified of our wheelchair use. I hope onboard things will work out. But, my concern is getting around Vancouver and enjoying the sights. I was thinking about hop on hop off since Vancouver is new for us but not sure if this is a good idea. My DH is able to walk short distances. Thank you for any ideas or suggestions.

Laurie

Vancouver is a very accessible City - all public transit can take wheelchairs etc - for the hop on hop off - they will take foldable chairs but you will need to be able to get on and off the bus by yourself - I would consider the $9.00 public transit day pass - as mentioned the entire system is completely accessible - we won great marks from the International community during the Paralympics Games for our ease of access and as a volunteer for those Games I got nothing but positive feedback about our great facilities.

Hope this helps somewhat

Cheers

Dennis

My wife uses a manual wheelchair that folds in the middle. It fits fine in the cabin. If the person can walk a short distance, that is better. There are some handicap restrooms on the ship, but not many, and some ships might not have any. And you really will need to walk some in the cabin just to use the bathroom there. There are some people who are completely wheelchair bound, but I think they usually get the handicap cabin where the wheelchair fits in the bathroom. When pushing the wheelchair, watch out for the metal bumps that are all over the ship. You will have priority checkin -- but usually just for the wheelchair person and one companion; others in the party will probably have to go through the full line, but this has varied some on different cruises I have taken. The theater usually has a section for wheelchairs in the back. Again, if the person can walk, you can get better seats. My wife has multiple sclerosis but can walk for short distances. Cruises work out really well for her.

Put 2 or 3 tags on the chair with name and cabin number. Masking tape works well for tagging. If you have an extra luggage tag, that works well too. If taking a cane or walker, tag those also.

My DW also has progressive MS and moves between a walker and a wheelchair depending upon the distance to be traveled. As mentioned above Vancouver is very accessible and you will find that the ports in Alaska are also very accessible. On the ship everything will be just fine, we sail mainly with Princess and DW has no problems at all...in fact the reason we cruise is that is just so easy for a disabled person.

Thank all of you so much. I want this vacation to be relaxing and fun for all of us not an experience that my husband will come home feeling worn out from struggling. He can walk but will need the wheelchair to get from point A to point B.

Sounds like a cruise (our first) may be the way to go.

Laurie

Have you asked if it is possible to switch to a handicap cabin? It may be too late but maybe it is possible. I would ask as you will appreciate the extra room in the cabin for the wheelchair and if needed in the cabin.

I traveled extensively with someone in a wheel chair and it is all doable, it just takes some extra planning.

For the plane, do you think he can make it from the door of the plane to the seat? If not, contact the airline and tell them you will need an aisle chair. It is a thin wheel chair that he will transfer to and then be wheeled to his seat. A regular wheel chair does not fit down an airline aisle.

As for Hop on Hop Off, contact them to make sure there is a place to stow the wheelchair. You could also rent a car and do your own tour in Vancouver, driving is city driving and not too bad. We usually rented a mini van or premium or luxury car with the wheel chair.

Jen in SoCal

We most likely will need a wheelchair for 1 member of our family for our upcoming cruise. This is a situation that is new for us and I would appreciate any advice or suggestions that would make this a smooth sailing.We do not have a handicap room on our ship, when I planned for this vacation there was not a wheelchair in the picture but you know how life can throw it at you sometimes. Anyway we are less than 2 weeks away from travel and I have never been involved with travel with a wheelchair and trying to be able to sightsee etc. I don't think there will be a problem with the airports involved, I have already notified of our wheelchair use. I hope onboard things will work out. But, my concern is getting around Vancouver and enjoying the sights. I was thinking about hop on hop off since Vancouver is new for us but not sure if this is a good idea. My DH is able to walk short distances. Thank you for any ideas or suggestions.

Laurie

Archived