Wheelchair travel

lauriebird

We will be needing a wheelchair for out vacation and this is new for us. I have notified the airline ahead so I think getting through the airports and flying should be O.K.

When I made all of our cruise reservations the wheelchair was not in our world so I did not try for a handicapped cabin on our ship, The Zuiderdam, but I hope this will work. I will contact our travel agent tomorrow to see if there is anything I should know on that leg of our trip.

My unknown concern is the Vancouver part of our trip. I was going to buy passes for the Hop On Hop Off, but don't know if this is a good idea or if anyone more experienced in this regard has tips or suggestions.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Laurie

After seeing no one has come forward with any information regarding your question, I googled the various Vancover Hop On Hop Off tours sites . The photos shown in the websites don't appear to be equiped with a lift. In fact the website for Stanley Park Shuttle Hop-on, Hop-off Tours specfically state their vehicles are not wheelchair accessible. Suggest you contact the tour company you're considering to inquire as to whether or not it will be able to accomodate your needs.

I looked into HO-HO buses a few years ago for my mom. She is unable to climb stairs so we had problems finding a bus tour that she could do. A couple of the tours would allow a folded wheelchair onboard if the person could climb the steps to get onboard. I'm not sure what your ability level is. Some people who use wheelchairs are able to walk short distances or climb a couple of stairs but others cannot walk at all.

At the airport, if you are unable to walk onto the plane, make sure that you let the person at the gate know that you will need an aisle chair to board. I always note on my airline booking that my mom needs an aisle chair to board, but it seems like that information never gets to the gate agents. It sometimes takes a while to get one to the gate so the agents seem to appreciate having some advance notice.

Will you need a wheelchair on the ship? If so, you need to bring your own, as they will not supply one full time on the ship. You can rent one from CareVacations and it will be waiting for you in your cabin. If you're not able to handle any steps, you may have a problem with using the bathroom, as the step into it can be very high.

Archived