Amakatarina Now

Kellie Poodle

Hi Janet, glad to hear that you had a great trip and that things have improved on the Katarina. Quick question: I've read that some of the cathedrals & palaces require you to pay a "fee" to take pictures inside the buildings. Did you encounter this? Thanks!!!

Tim

I'm not sure things "improved" I think the people who wrote the earlier reviews had unrealistic expectations.

Yes, one does have to pay to take photos in several places. Even with paying the fee, you may be limited to no flash. I paid and I'm not at all sorry.

The other thing to be aware of is "potty cash" There are many public WC's (washrooms to Canadians, toilets to Europeans and restrooms to Americans) that require a fee of 15 to 20 roubles. I got to calling it potty cash. The restrooms, however, are very clean.

Janet, did you use the laundry service? Was it expensive?

I did not use the laundry service. There is an ironing room on deck 2, towards the restaurant that is free for passengers. There are two ironing boards and two steam irons. There is a sink to fill the irons. The irons have English settings. You have to turn the big round switch on the wall counter-clockwise for the electricity to come on for the iron.

One of our fellow passengers experienced a water leak in her cabin. Some of her clothing was affected. She told me that one of her jackets had a huge dark stain from one garment bleeding onto another. She said that the laundress went onto the internet to learn how to remove the stain and she did. Of course there was no charge for the service as the ship did have a leak.

We had no leaks. We had about 15 minutes with no water during the entire cruise. When ever there was a mechanical problem it was addressed immediately.

hi there, FYI I did wear capris mostly and the one day it was warm enough I had on my zip-offs and I just zipped them off! By the end of the day, I was zipping them back on.

It will be later for you so you might want them. I have 2 daughters who live in Colorado and they wear shorts most of the winter, so-o-o it will be up to you. Moscow weather was similar to what we were having in Kansas, and St Pete was cooler. It will also depend on how much rain you get. I wore everything I took and had plenty of the right stuff, but I think I just must've been lucky!

Lynette

ps welcome back Janet

Archived