Luggage Allowance

I have been on a couple of thomson cruises recently and always pay for 5kg extra baggage. How do others take this as they would not let us have a case weighing over 23kg. Also because only one of us had hand luggage which weighed 9kg it has to go in the hold (although you are allowed 7kg each and can shop to your hearts content once you get into the departure area) We ended up having to pay even more excess baggage even though I had already paid.

It would appear that Thomsons just want to take your money as on Fred Olsen and P and O cruises they are much more accomodating and overlook the odd kilo or 2 extra and also did not count a lady's handbag as hand luggage!

Am shortly off on another Thomson - had already booked this before all the fuss last time and are wondering how other people have got on

Have any of you had the same experience?

Is the answer just to pack less?

I would pack less. Buy toiletries after and put handbag into hand luggage. My hand luggage only has magazines, tickets, sweeties etc and plenty room for my bag. You can take the bag out when you are through baggage control. It's not Thomson's fault as they are all the same. It was the same with Thomas Cook last year. We had a laugh as there were a group of teenage girls in front of us and they had to open their cases and remove stuff. The set of parents who dropped them off (fortunately they had stayed to see them through) ended up with shoes, jeans, books etc.

There was another ditzy lady who had to do the same and was giving away half her stuff to the check in girls!

I have a new kindle this year so won't be weighed down with books! ;)

We've tried to cut down a lot the last few times and not missed anything. I still feel guilty about the weight we take when we see the baggage handlers and coach drivers struggling to lift the cases.:) I don't want anyone to slip a disc lifting our luggage. We've just been on an 11 night holiday and only had 20kg so had to cut down and we had plenty of clothes to keep us going without washing anything.

We're not emigrating after all, lol, it's only for a week usually.

Jan

Thanks everyone

You are right - prob better to pack less - I do bring a lot of books!

What I was annoyed with was even though we only had 9kg of hand luggage as a couple we had to put it into the hold yet you can go through to duty free and buy loads of stuff and take it onto the plane - seemed a bit 'jobsworth' to me.

Anyway still lokking forward to next cruise

Thanks everyone

What I was annoyed with was even though we only had 9kg of hand luggage as a couple we had to put it into the hold yet you can go through to duty free and buy loads of stuff and take it onto the plane - seemed a bit 'jobsworth' to me.

It's because you had it all in 1 bag, so was to large, everyone is entitled to 1 bag of a set weight, you cannot add these together as a couple, otherwise the plane would be full of oversized bags all weighing 12KG.

In future, take something out of the bag (and make sure it is the right carry on size), and put the rest in a small rucksack for your partner to carry.

I remember reading somewhere a few years back that Thomson were going to take stricter measures with hand luggage as a trolly bag fell from a overhead compartment and seriously injured a 72 year old women on a flight to Alicante. This was because the passenger took a lot of hand luggage and the purchased loads of duty free too and made the bag nearly 18kg! I'll try and find the article to post on here!

My DH has just treated us both to Kindles so that should save quite a few kgs. Now I've just got to slip in some extra pairs of shoes when he's not looking. PLus the odd paperback I'd already bought. Can see us being back up to top weight when we go on Saturday.

Rosie:)

me & hubby are on a cruise next week and our liuggage weight is 23Kg each if this is spread over 2 suitcases and 1 suit carrier is that ok

And is each piece of hand luggage 7kg or 5kg ?

Thanks in advance

Thanks everyone

You need to buy a Kindle. Saves a fortune in weight compared to books. I just got mine before our latest cruise and loaded it up with books and it was great.

I agree with you about buying "duty free" after security, it makes a nonsense of the hand luggage allowance.

Berwyn

Archived