Just off Navigator- Changes we noticed

Just off Navigator yesterday! Great vacation, but did note some changes/differences from our previous trips on Explorer (2) and Adventure.

1.) The Adventure Ocean area was MUCH larger on Navigator. We have three girls 5, 7, and 12. The other difference is that they are no longer doing the Adventure Ocean "Bucks" for participation. These previously were collected throughout the week and then turned in for Adventure Ocean gear at the end of the week. Not a big deal for us adults, but for our daughters who have sailed three times before, this was VERY dissappointing. On the last day the youngest group (Aquanauts) were all given a little stuffed Inky, but nothing was done for the older groups. The youth staff was upset that they have discontinued this also and asked for us to be sure to indicate this issue on the comment card.

2.) While we LOVED the glass balconies on Navigator, but we found that the balconies on Navigator were so much less private than on the Explorer and Adventure. (We have only stayed in the JS's for reference) On Explorer and Adventure there are solid steel dividers between rooms. We could hear every conversation on both sides of us and we had a man on one side who I believe spent his whole vacation on his balcony smoking. I missed the balcony type of Explorer and Adventure.

We continue to love RCCl and have booked a trip on The Seranade for next March. Our service was outstanding and a good time was had by all. Thinking back to our first trip with RCCL four years ago though it does seem like there is a pattern of paying more and getting less every year. Not really important things right now, but it is a trend that I will keep an eye on.

Any questions about Navigator? This board has been SO helpful to us in planning our cruises. In fact, I am sure that we would have never tried RCCL without these boards and all of you that took the time to contribute!

Alwaysonvaction

Could you tell me a bit more about the larger children's area on the Navigator? We've only been on the Mariner with our two girls, 9 & 12. For instance, was there a pool area on the back of the ship, or just a big open deck?

Thanks for the Adventure Ocean info. Did your 12 year old daughter think there were enough activities for her age group? I have read other postings indicating that there are not many planned things for the 12-14's, and that it is more "hanging out". My 12 year old prefers to have lots of options, and I'm afraid that her younger sister's group might have much more fun!

Navigator is identical to the Mariner Nano, you won't notice any difference between those two. The first 3 Voyager class ships are the ones with the smaller indoor kids area and the kiddie pool on the back deck. The OP was referring to the larger indoor kids area on Navigator as opposed to the smaller indoor area and outdoor kiddie pool on the Explorer.

Welcome back!

What kind of soaps/lotions/etc were in the rooms? My parents (who have a junior suite booked in three weeks) asked me that and I could not remember what was there when we sailed Explorer a couple years ago.

What was the weather like this time of year?

When you said changes I was expecting you to talk about specific changes in what is offered or not, like have they stopped the one menu for lunch in the dining room? Is the dining room still closed for lunch on port days? Is sprinkles still gone because Ben and Jerrys was not making enough money? Are they still usuing the test menus?

Are you saying the balconies on the Navigator are glass on all sides? I was going to book this ship, but that will definitely make me change my mind ..... I'd appreciate any info you could give me.

Do you mean clear glass? So, no privacy?:eek:

The balcony sides on Navigator are frosted glass and no you can't see through them, you can see shadows etc. It was very easy to hear conversations on neighboring balconies. My only comparison that we have is to the style of the Explorer and Adventure. The sides of those balconies were made of steel from ceiling to floor. This was for the JS. I don't think that the other balcony rooms were this private. This wouldn't stop me from sailing Navigator again, but I really prefer the quiet and solitude that the Junior Suite balconies on the Explorer and Adventure provided.

BRAD1185- Sorry if my heading was confusing. The dining room was open everyday for lunch on our sailing. Sprinkles was still closed and Ben & Jerry's was busy. It looked like on our sailing that this is going to stick. Also, Johnny Rockets was extremely busy. Up to an hour wait on sea days. So, it looks like that extra charge may be working out for them too. Like I said, it seems every year we are paying more for less. If I had never cruised before I wouldn't know the difference.

jlajla- I hope that your parents love their Junior Suite as much as we did. The walk in closet and bath tub are the best. The Junior Suite on Navigator seemed more spacious than on the other ships. It was great! They left a large bottle of body lotion, shampoo and conditioner in the stateroom for us to use. They also had a lufa, cotton balls and Q-Tips there for you to use. The weather was great!!! We only had one partly cloudy day the rest were mostly sunny and just warm enough!

Riley13- You are correct when you say that the Adventure Ocean activites for the 12 years and older are less structured. My 12 year old daughter, who in the past attended every possible session of Adventure Ocean, didn't attend any of the sessions. Many of the sessions are not supervised and do just provide incentive for kids of the same age to hang out together in a cool part of the ship. I was concerned at first because she too loved all of the activities of the younger groups, but to be honest, she had a great time without the program. She spent a lot of time with us at the pool, exporing the ship, and reading on the balcony. We were lucky in that we traveled with a couple of other families that have kids her age and they all spent a lot of time together.

Nano- There is no kids pool on the back of this ship. The inside area is what was expanded and it is really nice. The back deck is now reserved for the older kids to hang out. It states that it is for teens only, no adults. The back of the boat was one of our favorite spots, so we missed that too on The Navigator.

Alwaysonvacation

I dont think I will ever get past the JR charge. Its almost as bad getting rid of the included softserve. When we were on the Nav I was also bothered by the Ben and Jerrys but at least the included stuff was right next to it. I knew it was only a matter of time until the included stuff was gone.

I dont think I will ever get past the JR charge. Its almost as bad getting rid of the included softserve. When we were on the Nav I was also bothered by the Ben and Jerrys but at least the included stuff was right next to it. I knew it was only a matter of time until the included stuff was gone.

Brad, the "free" softserve yogurt "stuff" is still available, just not on the Royal Promenade. You can get all of it you want up by the pool and in the Windjammer though.

Were there a lot of Spring Break kids/teenagers on board? Just curious. I'm thinking of taking the Navigator next (late) March, but have never travelled around spring break time before. Just wondering if this made any kind of a difference to your experience?

Archived