Phone Question:

jlm41

Im speaking from iphone usuage but we just turn data off, as well as location services and push notifications. I also put it in airplane mode. This way i can use my ipod function. So far no problems with any charges the past 6 cruises.

Hi Gobucks! Are you Verison or AT&T? We have an iphone and when I called Verison they explained the unintentional data usage charges we could have, so we decided to just turn it off completely. The only problem is, we would like to use texting, rather than walkie talkies to reach our daughter and our friends on the ship. I was told by Verison the cost is $.50 to send and $.05 to receive. Are you able to text when you set up your phone as you do?

Hi Gobucks! Are you Verison or AT&T? We have an iphone and when I called Verison they explained the unintentional data usage charges we could have, so we decided to just turn it off completely. The only problem is, we would like to use texting, rather than walkie talkies to reach our daughter and our friends on the ship. I was told by Verison the cost is $.50 to send and $.05 to receive. Are you able to text when you set up your phone as you do?

I have it through ATT. We have never honestly tried to text one another on the ship but that rate sounds comparable to what we have been told in the past. We used a note system in our rooms but there were less of us so I can see your dilemma. I do know that when your phone is in airplane mode you can't send or receive texts or calls. If you turn off location services it won't continue to look for you....and...turn push notifications off you should be ok as far as it not charging you for every email that's delivered.

I have an Android phone with Sprint. There is a widget that I can turn off the Mobile Network completely. I plan to turn the Mobile Network off and turn data roaming off. Does anyone have experience just turning data off? Any unexpect charges? :confused:

I use my phone as my music player, camera, writing notes on it, watch video and read books, ship deck plan etc., so I will be carrying it around the whole cruise. I don't want to switch it to Airplane mode because I still want to be able to send and receive text. :(

I have it through ATT. We have never honestly tried to text one another on the ship but that rate sounds comparable to what we have been told in the past. We used a note system in our rooms but there were less of us so I can see your dilemma. I do know that when your phone is in airplane mode you can't send or receive texts or calls. If you turn off location services it won't continue to look for you....and...turn push notifications off you should be ok as far as it not charging you for every email that's delivered.

Thanks Gobucks. I'm going to look into turning notifications off. I will also call Version another couple of times because it seems that the information is not always the same. Perhaps I can get them to email specifics so that I have a record. I was going to get my iphone before the cruise but decided to wait. I'm glad I have an older Alias II. My teen daughter has the same phone. The Verison rep told me texts would not be a problem for us if we were willing to pay the 50, 5 cent costs. Sounds like a bargain! I won't allow my teen (safety reasons) to walk around the ship by herself, so she texts me when if she needs to go someplace and she does not have a friend with her.

One thing I read on a post was that you should always call the international service number when asking questions like ours. They are more knowledgable.

Archived