Rum Point

hobbyhrs97

We are headed to Cayman Islands on our next cruise in Jan, we have been there once before and did the Hell, Turtle farm and Stingrays. I have seen pictures for Rum Point and would love to go there. Is there a tour operator that will just take you to Rum Point with doing the string rays?

Don't think so. We did a private tour a couple of years ago. The guy, Javia, has since moved back to Jamaica. I am going on Native Way Rays, Reef and Rum Point. As you probably know, a taxi costs too much and you are not sure he will come back for you. If you find another way, please post it. I would like to just to there for the day.

Rent a car or Jeep. It's an easy drive and you can come and go as you like. If you are planning on spending a good portion of the day there, this would be the way to go!

Thank you, do you know what the costs are to rent a car? There are 5 of going.

We just returned. I was going to rent a car for the 5 of us but decided to book with Native Way Watersports instead. It seemed like any way to get to Stingray City plus a car was almost the same cost as their tour. During the tour they were good about adapting to our interests. Email Sharon and ask her if you can have a personalized tour. Maybe they do something to accomodate your itinerary.

Thank you, do you know what the costs are to rent a car? There are 5 of going.

We rented a car when we were there in November. I think it was $60 ish for a small car. It would have fit 5 but it would be tight if they were all adults. I can't remember the name of the company but it was a local place, not someplace like avis.

We go back again in October and have booked a tour. While it was nice to come and go as we please I just found it a little stressful. When you get away from the main area the roads get a little confusing. They are no stop lights just roundabouts and not great signs. We actually ended up going the wrong way down a one way street. :eek:

We wanted to go to rum point but once we started driving I got nervous with the time so we ended up going somewhere else. In retrospect I would have planned the times out a little more i.e. how long it takes to get to certain areas and get back. But we started late because we had trouble finding the rental car place.

We rented from Avis last Feb. (We had also rented from them the last time we were in GC and had been pleased with them). We had reserved a midsize SUV, with righthand drive, for driving on the left. There were 4 of us. They didn't have the car we'd reserved, and wanted to give us a Ford Explorer, but it didn't have righthand drive, which was what my husband wanted, so we took a smaller car, which did have that feature. So, they would have a car that would fit your group, if you don't care about the righthand drive. They gave us a map and marked it well for driving out to Rum Point. We enjoyed our day there very much. I believe with the insurance, the car was about $70 for the day. Well worth it!

There are franchisees of several well known brands as well as a few local independent rental car agencies. You'll find familiar names like Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, and Budget as well as long time local agencies such as Coconut, Andy's, Marshall's, and Cayman Auto Rental.

Most have locations near the airport and a few will pick to you up near the port and take you to collect your vehicle. Cayman Auto Rentals' location is within walking distance of the tender docks.

Though we drive on the left side of the road, many of our vehicles are imported from the States and are left hand drive. The right hand drive vehicles sometimes have speedometers that only read in kilometers per hour though our speed limit signs are posted in miles per hour.

Our gas is pricey! Whoa! And that price is in CI$ per Imperial gallon. That CI$5.90 you see on the sign is really US$6.14 per US gallon.

Archived