Considering driving to rum Point, any suggestions, experiences?

cedez

After checking out the rental costs I am considering renting a car and driving the island. Anyone know approx. how long to get to Rum Point and any sites to watch for on the drive? thanks!!

:p :p We will be on Grand Cayman on April 5th. This will be our fourth time on the island. Twice before we have rented a car and we are going to do the same this trip.

The drive to Rum Point is great. Lots to see. (If the hurricane didn't destroy it all). Be sure to stop by the blow holes. Walk down to see them (just a short distance from the road). It is an awesome experience. There are a few really nice homes along the water. Rum Point is beautiful. Restaurant and gift shop there on site. Beautiful water. Long pier to go out on. Hammocks. Friendly people.

It doesn't take long to drive the entire island. You'll have plenty of time to see everything and still catch the last shuttle back to the ship. Remember that the last tender will leave one hour before the ship actually departs. There is usually a long line to get back on the tenders.

I would suggest that you rent a car in advance. We had a little trouble finding one this time.

HAVE FUN!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

nhfamily,

I read that, too, and that they were considering sending divers down to remove the boulders and debris that had become wedged in the holes. To me, this sounds really dangerous. Swmming around the intake area to the blowholes....well, it would be easy to get trapped down there yourself. I wouldn't want to try it. So I'm thinking this isn't very likely....

-Pyedog

We rented from Andy's a few weeks ago. The damage we saw on our drive to Rum Point was hard to believe. Entire apartment complexes and homes are gone and there are people living on the foundations of their homes under tarps! The vegetation is dead (brown) from the tidal surge and there are few trees that have leaves left. When the guy from Andy's picked us up at the pier he told us that they lost over 2/3 of their fleet of cars and are just getting back up and running. It was a good experience for the family to see the impact the hurricane had. As for Rum Point, it was worth the trip! We had a very relaxing day, the water was calm, clear and beautiful! There were rays to be seen even if you weren't snorkling! I think the drive took us ABOUT 30 minutes from the airport where we took possession of the rental car, but we cut across the island; did not drive all the way around. Andy's picks you up at the pier and returns you there....you just need to factor that in your day.

Archived