NCL Epic Excursions - Med

Thanks for all of your input. Thought I would jump on to say that we've decided to book private tours. Ultimately, we want to make sure that we get the most productive, enjoyable experience in each city and didn't want to risk missing things on a large-group ship sponsored excursion and losing time possibly by doing it on our own (getting lost, sidetracked).

Thought I would mention the great tour company we used for Rome:

www.througheternity.com

we took the train to Rome and our guide met us at the train and really maximized what we saw in a day, plus she provided detailed explanations of everything. We even had time for a nice sit-down lunch at a restaurant that is mostly frequented by residents of Rome - not tourists! Fabulous! She walked us to another train station at the end of the day and made sure we got back in plenty of time - allow at least 1 hour to walk to the port bus stop and queue for the port bus from the train station in Civitavecchia.

I'm really glad you are doing private tours- they are far better than the ship tours.

For the stop for Florence/Pisa, I recommend instead you go to Volturi, San Gimignano, Montepulciano and Sienna for the day - far more fun and in San Gimignano you can have the World's Best Gelato!

• 6 months later...

We had a private tour for just the 5 of us in Rome. It was the most amazing day ever. We saw more in one day than i thought possible. Our tour guide really knew his stuff and in the afternoon his wife took us personally through the Vatican. I still can't believe how lucky we were and at a price less than half of what NCL offered, we got to see so much more. I never once had a single concern that we would get back to the boat on time, our tour guide was so professional and made sure we left the city in plenty of time to get back to the boat.

Isabella could you please send details of where you found and booked this private tour. thanks

Terry.

• 1 year later...

I've read this whole thread and looked into some of the private touring companies a few of you have mentioned.

Most prices seem to be pretty fair if you are going in a grup of 6 or more.

I was wandering if anyone has any tips/info on shore excursions for 2 people? I will be going on this trip for my Honeymoon and I am still not sure what to do, DYI, private tour or NCL shoe excursions....

I feel like since it is just us 2 it is easier to move around anywhere we go, we wouldn't necessarily need our own private method of transportation.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

I've read this whole thread and looked into some of the private touring companies a few of you have mentioned.

Most prices seem to be pretty fair if you are going in a grup of 6 or more.

I was wandering if anyone has any tips/info on shore excursions for 2 people? I will be going on this trip for my Honeymoon and I am still not sure what to do, DYI, private tour or NCL shoe excursions....

I feel like since it is just us 2 it is easier to move around anywhere we go, we wouldn't necessarily need our own private method of transportation.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

NCL tours are usually much pricier than private alternatives (even on exact same tours) so I'd say that your best bet is to go and be active on your cruise's Roll Call and find others on the same cruise that could share private tours with you.

Of course if you feel that there is no need for a guided tour, you can just as well explore on your own by walking or by using public transports.

Has any one out there done (or heard of anyone who has done) the ships 4 x 4 Versuvius trip (Naples) ?

Never done ships tours before - always DIY, but just fancying this one and wouldnt mind finding out a bit more.

Thanks

Fig

We have cruised on the Epic twice.

Barcelona - Very easy to do on your own. Taxi's are pretty inexpensive and you can walk everywhere. Just plan out your day ahead of time.

Naples - We were very happy with NCL's Pompeii and Herculaneum tours. In fact, coincidentally, we had the same guide for both. It was nice to only tour for half of a day. We were able to walk in Naples the rest of the day.

Rome - If you only have one day, I would absolutely use Rome In Limo or some other private limo company. Our driver was able to drop us off right at the entrance to everything. Rome is a big city. It would be very difficult to see on your own or in a big bus.

Florence - We have used Rome In Limo two times. If you are just going to Florence, you may be able to use NCL's Florence on Your Own tour. Everything is very compact in Florence. However, we used Rome In Limo to go to Pisa. The driver also took us on top of some hills to see some beautiful views.

Cannes - easy to do on your own. Just tender and walk around the city.

Palma - We just walked around, saw the Cathedral, and had coffee. I did not see a lot of shops that were not chains. I think I would like to do a tour next time into the countryside.

Since there are only two of you, have you thought about using Rome In Limo's tour sharing? I have read good things about them on Cruise Critic.

http://www.romeinlimotoursharing.com/

• 8 months later...

Hi...I know you posted this a while back but I will be going on the NCL Med cruise in May and I've been doing a little bit of research.

Can you provide the name of the private company you used for your Rome excursion?

Thanks.

One thing that I keep hearing is the ship will not leave you if you are on one of their excursions. While this may be a selling point in the Caribbean, I don't see it as any huge advantage on a Western Med cruise.

I you miss the ship in Naples, Rome or Livorno what is the worst that happens. You buy a cheap train ticket and spend the night in the next port city.

I am DIY in Naples and Livorno and I have some pretty tight schedules in both cities and could easily miss the ship if don't get the right ferry or train back to port.

I think too many people get hung up on not being back in time and if you have a solid backup plan, you really can get the most out of your port days. I can always get anywhere I need to be with a credit card and a passport.

One thing that I keep hearing is the ship will not leave you if you are on one of their excursions. While this may be a selling point in the Caribbean, I don't see it as any huge advantage on a Western Med cruise.

I you miss the ship in Naples, Rome or Livorno what is the worst that happens. You buy a cheap train ticket and spend the night in the next port city.

True for Civitavecchia/Rome and Naples, not so much for Livorno I think:

http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Iivorno/Cannes