How updated are the cabins on Destiny?

betmar8694

Just wondering if all the cabins on the Destiny are updated. When I book hotel rooms, the first thing I look at are the bedspreads (to make sure they don't have the ugly floral ones) and the TV's (to see if they're flat screen). This way I know if a hotel has been updated. On the Carnival website, Destiny's cabins looked updated, but I've been reading that some of them aren't. Is that true? If so, can I request an updated cabin if my cabin isn't?

We just got off today, and we had the smaller suite. It seemed very updated (no florals!) and had a flat screen tv. We loved our room - one of the best parts of the cruise because it was so roomy and seemed more updated than the rest of the ship.

Just wondering if all the cabins on the Destiny are updated. When I book hotel rooms, the first thing I look at are the bedspreads (to make sure they don't have the ugly floral ones) and the TV's (to see if they're flat screen). This way I know if a hotel has been updated. On the Carnival website, Destiny's cabins looked updated, but I've been reading that some of them aren't. Is that true? If so, can I request an updated cabin if my cabin isn't?

If you haven't booked yet, just call Carnival and ask them which cabins have been updated. You can pick any cabin you want if it's available. We always chose which cabins we want. We have to pay more for doing it but to us it's worth it.

Same experience as Poundcake09. We had midship balcony cabins on the Destiny. DH & I were next door to our DD & SIL. We paid for their cruise and they had a flat screen tv :p while we had an old monster:confused:. Since we don't spend a lot of time actually watching ~ no big deal. We usually have it on to catch the news when we're getting around. My only complaint about the tv is the constant interruption of programming with all the Carnival commercials....we're already on a cruise!

By any intelligent figuring, Destiny has the oldest cabins in the fleet

all of the older ships (Fantasy class) have had their cabins totally totally redone and updated...new bathroom fixtures too...flat screen tvs

for someone to post about a suite is misleading IMHO>>> the average cabin on Destiny is not a suite....a suite may have the flat screen tv but the other cabins do not

My balcony cabin on destiny had a big tube tv plopped on the dresser, it made it very hard/impossible to use the wall phone which was mounted lower/behind the tv

I tried to have this fixed BUT they do NOT have brackets/mounts for most of the tv's on this ship so they plop them on the dresser

the bathroom does NOT have shelves.....my bathroom had some cracked tiles, some mildew....ratty looking. Just NOT as nice as the other ships

Imagination which is older has flat screen tvs, like new bathroom, everything very nice.

I agree with the above poster...We had an inside cabin with quads (upper bunk beds) the size of the room was great for us, but we had an awful tiny old TV and the Cabins were not upgraded or Updated and we sailed Dec 2010...I do know she is due to go into Dry Dock eventually as they have postponed the original date...

all of the older ships (Fantasy class) have had their cabins totally totally redone and updated...new bathroom fixtures too...flat screen tvs

The Paradise has not been refurbshed...just fyi.

Did a B2B2B on Destiny in Jan 11. Had 3 different cabins Suite was updated with a flat screen. On the other 2 cruises we had balconies on the Empress deck, one was updated with a flat screen and one had an older type of TV. The other rooms of people traveling with us was split about 50/50 being updated with a flat screen TV. I will say that on the change over days they were completely recarpeting several cabins each cruise. Sharecruises had a bad experience on the Destiny and takes every opportunity to bash the ship that she can.

Did a B2B2B on Destiny in Jan 11. Had 3 different cabins Suite was updated with a flat screen. On the other 2 cruises we had balconies on the Empress deck, one was updated with a flat screen and one had an older type of TV. The other rooms of people traveling with us was split about 50/50 being updated with a flat screen TV. I will say that on the change over days they were completely recarpeting several cabins each cruise. Sharecruises had a bad experience on the Destiny and takes every opportunity to bash the ship that she can.

9 posts and you worry about what I post about?? Wow I am flattered :)

Facts are facts.....they ONLY built one ship like Destiny....a ship that has the same size lido buffet area as the Fantasy ships....and about 1000 more people on it

Destiny has the worst lines on the lido buffet of any ship I have ever been on. The worst. Do the math....the buffet is 1/2 the size of the Conquest ships and does NOT have any restaurant (fish chips or pasta) "upstairs"

the ship is the ONLY one with the "night owl" cabins...so poorly designed that they do have some cabins that are sold cheaper for people who agree to the fact they will have music/noise until wee hours of the morning

More bad planning : the overhang bar on the aft pool

No serenity deck as of yet

the ONLY Carnival ship I ever saw with grungy bathroom...NOT dirty, not the fault of the steward....just grungy

The cabins on the other ships are much nicer. MY cabin had an old flat screen tv plopped on the dresser. I don't care if 50% had something else

I do see a future for Destiny...for the smokers. Destiny has smoking problems anyhow....a staff that doesn't enforce the rules

with the great new smoking rules coming in the "short" cruises will be less appealing to the smokers....the lovely Imagination has ONLY about 60 balconies!

Destiny with it's balconies will appeal to the smokers who want a short cruise :) All the more reason for me to never set foot on that ship again. Twice was more than enough

This is called Cruise Critic...not cruise cheerleader. I am posting about very specific things that are easily proven

Look at what class ship it is "Destiny" class

Destiny stands "alone">>> it's mistakes were corrected on the ships they built afterwards

and.....another thing NOT up for debate...is the sorry history of problems associated with this ship.....from the smell/s to air cond problems to various propulsion problems.

Imagination for instance has been happily sailing out of Miami for years with out a peep of problems , much loved ship, and thus if the question comes up I always will tell people to check it out instead of Destiny, they both do a 4 night KW and Cozumel run

If you read I was not cheerleading just stating facts that differed from yours. And you have to admit that you take every opportunity to bash the Destiny. As I recall your biggest issue was the individual who was not part of your group kept entering the events uninvited. Hope you have a good weekend.

Honestly, I wish I could remember what type of TV I had on the Destiny. I'm thinking it was an old type on the dresser but I know for a fact it didn't interfere with the phone in my room (as someone else suggested). I used my phone daily and never had issues with it or the tv being in the way.

I do remember the bedding though - WOW, it was the most comfortable bed with a lovely white duvet and white sheets. I honestly looked into buying it all when I got home, it was that great. Definitely no florals:eek:

I loved the Destiny. There are some who don't like her but that is OK with me. I always go into something new with an open mind ready to make up my own mind. I had a great cruise on a great ship with great staff. What more could I ask:D

We just cruised the Destiny in April. We were midship Empress deck with a balcony. We had the nice bedding but had the old tv. It was sitting on the counter which was not wonderful but the tv certainly didn't spoil our cruise. We did watch tv at times but was never an issues. :)

Honestly, I wish I could remember what type of TV I had on the Destiny. I'm thinking it was an old type on the dresser but I know for a fact it didn't interfere with the phone in my room (as someone else suggested). I used my phone daily and never had issues with it or the tv being in the way.

I do remember the bedding though - WOW, it was the most comfortable bed with a lovely white duvet and white sheets. I honestly looked into buying it all when I got home, it was that great. Definitely no florals:eek:

I loved the Destiny. There are some who don't like her but that is OK with me. I always go into something new with an open mind ready to make up my own mind. I had a great cruise on a great ship with great staff. What more could I ask:D

Now the Bedding The most comfortable we have ever slept on :) and We too loved the Destiny...

the ship is the ONLY one with the "night owl" cabins...so poorly designed that they do have some cabins that are sold cheaper for people who agree to the fact they will have music/noise until wee hours of the morning

So they have to sign or agree to something that they are ok with the noise? I saw on another thread you posted that whomever stays in the cabins had to "agree not to complain". How does that work?

Also, which cabins are these?

Thanks

If you read I was not cheerleading just stating facts that differed from yours. And you have to admit that you take every opportunity to bash the Destiny. As I recall your biggest issue was the individual who was not part of your group kept entering the events uninvited. Hope you have a good weekend.

Your 10th post ??

Uhh....no my issue was the hotel director who allowed the guy (stalker) to enter my group's private events....despite the efforts of myself, my travel agent beforehand to prevent this...and the efforts of his (ex) girlfriend and group member to keep him away....that was one of my main problems, the lack of safety and the lack of respect shown to her/me and my group

however....YOU are bringing this up, not me...

I hated everything about the Destiny...ugly decor, grungy bathroom (no, the room steward was not bad, but the bathroom was)

I hated the huge lines at the buffet....on Key West day it was simply unreal...NO where to sit, lines out to the pool. I had ordered room service (put hangar on door)..but....??? as with many things on this ship it didn't work, was not delivered....and of course no way to call cause I could not reach the phone

I hated the horrible rotten service in the dining room

2 of 4 nights I had NO coffee after dinner, one night NO dessert

one night no coffee and they brought my yummy bitter and blanc to me without the vanilla creme...I asked and asked for the vanilla cream sauce...

finally an "assistant' picked up a USED RAMEKIN OF VANILLA SAUCE FROM A TABLE , A USED RAMEKIN, FROM DIRTY DISHES>...AND WHILE I PROTESTED HE POURED THE LITTLE BIT LEFTOVER ON MY DESSERT....YUCK

SO THEN I COULD NOT EAT IT...unsanitary and ridiculous

The lobster was the smallest ever seen....most at my table asked for 2nds...and they did get it....but the nasty waiter (*who never said his name) brought ONE tiny lobster tail for me and my roommate to share...plopped it down and said "that's all, you two share"

Horrible service..cold food....hours to eat....ridiculously bad "wine" group lady or whatever she was who could not deliver our (group perk) bottles of wine...she ruined our first night dinner

Horrible people in the dining room when the group tried to eat breakfast there together....refusing to honor our request to be seated as a group...

seating some people at other tables..making us wait...just ridiculous

I had 103 people on this ship and most of us say Never again to Destiny

my first cruise on it was not good and the 2nd was horrible

Mismanaged from the top down

Sitting at the aft pool...NON smoking area....a guy is smoking at the ugly bar that sticks out by the loungers....puffing away....I told him that the area is non smoking and he laughed and I then asked the little scaredy cat bartender why this guy was smoking in a NON smoking area and the wimp said "oh he is gonna be done soon and will put it out"

Oh...and the room was lukewarm...the last day /night it was hot...

requests for service went unanswered, then some guy came in and said the temp was ok...it was NOT ok...I live in Florida and I like air conditioning that works...this was not working, it was hot and stuffy

as for the phone.....I am NOT a liar....as I said, maybe the phone in the cabin pictured was up higher than ours or maybe our tv was bigger

but...

the phone in MY cabin was virtually unusable. I could answer it but I could not dial out

as I could not reach behind the big tv

they did tell me that the tv's used to be mounted but they are "out" of the brackets to mount them...therefore they are plopped on the desk

So they have to sign or agree to something that they are ok with the noise? I saw on another thread you posted that whomever stays in the cabins had to "agree not to complain". How does that work?

Also, which cabins are these?

Thanks

I don't know the exact numbers....I do know that travel agents in the know CAN book these for people, sometimes for solo cruisers, at a lower rate....they are booked as a "night owl" cabin, and yes somehow you have to agree that you won't mind the noise, etc. I think that they may also use them for the DJ, and/or other entertainers ...maybe the comedians?? I don't know for sure but I know they are ON the Destiny....when it was (poorly) designed they put cabins near the disco....

the space on the subsequent ships was changed to storage rooms or some other use??? but they are there (tho i do not think they are on the Carnival site and they are NOT given to people as "guarantee" cabin )

For anyone who doubts me....look at the Carnival website

look at the "classes" of ships...what ship "stands alone"?? The Destiny

when it was designed people complained...and the ships built after it they fixed the problems and improved upon the original

and this does NOT happen only with Carnival....

Royal Caribbean built a couple ships with teeny tiny cabins (Majesty of the Seas is one of them)>>> the next "generation" of ships had larger cabins

look at the NCL Epic...people love the shows and fun but hate the bathrooms.....now NCL has put out the info that it's 2 new ships will NOT have the "epic bathroom"

I don't know the exact numbers....I do know that travel agents in the know CAN book these for people, sometimes for solo cruisers, at a lower rate....they are booked as a "night owl" cabin, and yes somehow you have to agree that you won't mind the noise, etc. I think that they may also use them for the DJ, and/or other entertainers ...maybe the comedians?? I don't know for sure but I know they are ON the Destiny....when it was (poorly) designed they put cabins near the disco....

I just looked at the Destiny deck plan and didnt see any cabins near the disco. What deck are the night owl cabins on?

I am friends with one of the Carnival Entertainers and he said they stay in crews quarters, just fyi.

Wow, I guess we just lucked out then. :) I consider myself a very picky person and I didn't have any problems with the Destiny when we were on there June 9. Never a bad smell, our room was comfy and bathroom was clean (I have major issues with dirty, grungy bathrooms), and we never saw any long buffet lines. We always walked right up to the plates. Our tv was one of the older ones, but I wasn't on the ship to watch tv, So, it didn't bother us. We still had plenty of counter space for the two of us. We weren't traveling with others, so we never even tried to use the phone. I almost didn't remember there even being one.

The beds were super comfortable and the linens weren't old or dated looking.

Wow, I guess we just lucked out then. :) I consider myself a very picky person and I didn't have any problems with the Destiny when we were on there June 9. Never a bad smell, our room was comfy and bathroom was clean (I have major issues with dirty, grungy bathrooms), and we never saw any long buffet lines. We always walked right up to the plates. Our tv was one of the older ones, but I wasn't on the ship to watch tv, So, it didn't bother us. We still had plenty of counter space for the two of us. We weren't traveling with others, so we never even tried to use the phone. I almost didn't remember there even being one.

The beds were super comfortable and the linens weren't old or dated looking.

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself

However....my experience was far different.

also...I never said that I had a problem with the bed/beddings/linens...

nor do I spend time watching tv, not that that particular tv was even watchable. I do use the tv on other Carnival ships to check my account, check menus, check time etc. But this tv was so much in the way I wanted it OUT of the room period.

In fact...I am not near as picky as so many on here....being single I don't care about balcony, I am not going to sit out there with my female roomate very much. I don't care what deck I am on or even bother or care to "pick" a cabin. I have liked all the decks.

I also never said that the bathroom was dirty...I said it was grungy and it was.....mildew...cracked tiles...a sort of "stain" in the toilet....

The phone was/is important to me....as I had a group with me and things to coordinate....people to call (like those who had volunteered to host our "cabin crawl", people to call....like a girl who has mobility issues and I was trying to find a tour for her, people to call who were having problems...

and yes, people had called me, and getting my messages was hard, and hard to return calls

Again, from the picture you show, my tv was bigger and/or the phone was mounted lower...it was simply impossible to use. and...I needed to use it. I instead spent time on the house phones to try to get my calls done, had to stand and try to make calls on the house phones

I am NOT the only person who has complained about the horrible lines on Destiny's Lido. Must have been a great week you chose...cause I have been on Destiny 2x....both times the buffet was very crowded.

I was not thrilled with my first sailing on her....but it was mostly ok...except for the crowded Lido. The first time our dining room experience and seating was pretty good

the last time?? The dining was awful...horrible seating, slow service, cold food...just horrible service. Horrible lines in buffet....lots of dirty dishes sitting around. Sloppy workers....grimy tables...I had to ask them to clean our table off as it was sticky. To me the management of the ship was to blame

Just because some people have a good time on this ship doesn't mean that my experiences were not valid and truthful. I also have deliberately posted facts and stats about Destiny (such as the undeniable fact that it's buffet is the same size as Fantasy class ships but serves about 1000 more people)

Archived