How updated are the cabins on Destiny?

betmar8694

Just because some people have a good time on this ship doesn't mean that my experiences were not valid and truthful. I also have deliberately posted facts and stats about Destiny (such as the undeniable fact that it's buffet is the same size as Fantasy class ships but serves about 1000 more people)

I don't believe anyone is saying anything about the validity of your experience. I, for one, am simply saying that my experience was the complete opposite. I never had the issues you had in the room, nor with the buffet.

Everyone's opinion is valid and we are allowed to disagree - therefore, we can certainly state a different point of view for anyone who asks on these boards. It's just a ship afterall, no need to take it so personally.;)

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself

However....my experience was far different.

also...I never said that I had a problem with the bed/beddings/linens...

nor do I spend time watching tv, not that that particular tv was even watchable. I do use the tv on other Carnival ships to check my account, check menus, check time etc. But this tv was so much in the way I wanted it OUT of the room period.

In fact...I am not near as picky as so many on here....being single I don't care about balcony, I am not going to sit out there with my female roomate very much. I don't care what deck I am on or even bother or care to "pick" a cabin. I have liked all the decks.

I also never said that the bathroom was dirty...I said it was grungy and it was.....mildew...cracked tiles...a sort of "stain" in the toilet....

The phone was/is important to me....as I had a group with me and things to coordinate....people to call (like those who had volunteered to host our "cabin crawl", people to call....like a girl who has mobility issues and I was trying to find a tour for her, people to call who were having problems...

and yes, people had called me, and getting my messages was hard, and hard to return calls

Again, from the picture you show, my tv was bigger and/or the phone was mounted lower...it was simply impossible to use. and...I needed to use it. I instead spent time on the house phones to try to get my calls done, had to stand and try to make calls on the house phones

I am NOT the only person who has complained about the horrible lines on Destiny's Lido. Must have been a great week you chose...cause I have been on Destiny 2x....both times the buffet was very crowded.

I was not thrilled with my first sailing on her....but it was mostly ok...except for the crowded Lido. The first time our dining room experience and seating was pretty good

the last time?? The dining was awful...horrible seating, slow service, cold food...just horrible service. Horrible lines in buffet....lots of dirty dishes sitting around. Sloppy workers....grimy tables...I had to ask them to clean our table off as it was sticky. To me the management of the ship was to blame

Just because some people have a good time on this ship doesn't mean that my experiences were not valid and truthful. I also have deliberately posted facts and stats about Destiny (such as the undeniable fact that it's buffet is the same size as Fantasy class ships but serves about 1000 more people)

I apologize if my post came across as being snarky. I was in no way intending it to be, towards anyone. I have no doubt that what you say was your experience indeed happened. I am sure there are some that were on the same cruise as us that could say something opposite of what we experienced. Like you, I was just posting how I felt about our cruise. I mentioned the linens b/c the original poster asked about how updated the cabins were and others had mentioned the linens in their room.

I was noticing all of your future cruises coming up! I am jealous! If I were single, I would probably be doing the same thing. Cruising is addictive and I wish we had the money to go on another one soon!

Just wondering if all the cabins on the Destiny are updated. When I book hotel rooms, the first thing I look at are the bedspreads (to make sure they don't have the ugly floral ones) and the TV's (to see if they're flat screen). This way I know if a hotel has been updated. On the Carnival website, Destiny's cabins looked updated, but I've been reading that some of them aren't. Is that true? If so, can I request an updated cabin if my cabin isn't?

I was in an category 4E Interior Cabin on the upper deck in march. Cabin 6228 it had an updated flat screen TV. Linens were clean and comfortable, bathroom was spotless.. Great ship just needs a little work, carpets definitely need to be replaced throughout ship

Have a great cruise :D

Your 10th post ??

Uhh....no my issue was the hotel director who allowed the guy (stalker) to enter my group's private events....despite the efforts of myself, my travel agent beforehand to prevent this...and the efforts of his (ex) girlfriend and group member to keep him away....that was one of my main problems, the lack of safety and the lack of respect shown to her/me and my group

however....YOU are bringing this up, not me...

I hated everything about the Destiny...ugly decor, grungy bathroom (no, the room steward was not bad, but the bathroom was)

I hated the huge lines at the buffet....on Key West day it was simply unreal...NO where to sit, lines out to the pool. I had ordered room service (put hangar on door)..but....??? as with many things on this ship it didn't work, was not delivered....and of course no way to call cause I could not reach the phone

I hated the horrible rotten service in the dining room

2 of 4 nights I had NO coffee after dinner, one night NO dessert

one night no coffee and they brought my yummy bitter and blanc to me without the vanilla creme...I asked and asked for the vanilla cream sauce...

finally an "assistant' picked up a USED RAMEKIN OF VANILLA SAUCE FROM A TABLE , A USED RAMEKIN, FROM DIRTY DISHES>...AND WHILE I PROTESTED HE POURED THE LITTLE BIT LEFTOVER ON MY DESSERT....YUCK

SO THEN I COULD NOT EAT IT...unsanitary and ridiculous

The lobster was the smallest ever seen....most at my table asked for 2nds...and they did get it....but the nasty waiter (*who never said his name) brought ONE tiny lobster tail for me and my roommate to share...plopped it down and said "that's all, you two share"

Horrible service..cold food....hours to eat....ridiculously bad "wine" group lady or whatever she was who could not deliver our (group perk) bottles of wine...she ruined our first night dinner

Horrible people in the dining room when the group tried to eat breakfast there together....refusing to honor our request to be seated as a group...

seating some people at other tables..making us wait...just ridiculous

I had 103 people on this ship and most of us say Never again to Destiny

my first cruise on it was not good and the 2nd was horrible

Mismanaged from the top down

Sitting at the aft pool...NON smoking area....a guy is smoking at the ugly bar that sticks out by the loungers....puffing away....I told him that the area is non smoking and he laughed and I then asked the little scaredy cat bartender why this guy was smoking in a NON smoking area and the wimp said "oh he is gonna be done soon and will put it out"

Oh...and the room was lukewarm...the last day /night it was hot...

requests for service went unanswered, then some guy came in and said the temp was ok...it was NOT ok...I live in Florida and I like air conditioning that works...this was not working, it was hot and stuffy

as for the phone.....I am NOT a liar....as I said, maybe the phone in the cabin pictured was up higher than ours or maybe our tv was bigger

but...

the phone in MY cabin was virtually unusable. I could answer it but I could not dial out

as I could not reach behind the big tv

they did tell me that the tv's used to be mounted but they are "out" of the brackets to mount them...therefore they are plopped on the desk

I am so sick of folks like you who do nothing but rant and rave about the negatives. Ok we heard you not drop it.

I get the feeling you would complain about anything. Probably trying to get money back. Get over it. It is past. A cruise is what you make of it. I bet you complain about everything in your life.

so you wanted to be seated as a group of 103 people??? Seriously???? I think it would be a tough job to accomodate this... as 103 others are not finishing their meals at the same time... Also, the maitre d has to work with other passengers as well... nuff said about that.

So, I had read that the Destiny did a recent drydock. Anyone know when that happened?

I am supposed to be on her later this year... all I ask for is a nice clean ship... been on her twice a long time ago when she was fairly new... loved it.

so you wanted to be seated as a group of 103 people??? Seriously???? I think it would be a tough job to accomodate this... as 103 others are not finishing their meals at the same time... Also, the maitre d has to work with other passengers as well... nuff said about that.

So, I had read that the Destiny did a recent drydock. Anyone know when that happened?

I am supposed to be on her later this year... all I ask for is a nice clean ship... been on her twice a long time ago when she was fairly new... loved it.

Nuff said??? You might want to know what you are saying before you say it

This was a group cruise....a singles cruise....as such we are seated together, assigned seats the first night, and then we can "mix and mingle" among the tables

the TA and I recieved a seating chart from Carnival group directior.. it was 12 or mostly 10/8 tops...

then right before we cruised we got another seating chart....NOT as good but still ok.....but when we boarded our seating was totally messed, lots of "banquet" seats. 4 tops....some booths not even near the other seats...

some "2 tops" around a corner....SUPER AWKWARD FOR SINGLES

and....as a group .....outsiders /other singles should NOT be seated with us. As a group we have perks...not to be shared with outsiders...especially a certain outsider that both ta and I let them know I wanted to be kept away....this was a horrible cruise for us...

very obvious YOU don't know anything about group seating and group cruises, you merely assume that we walked in 103 strong and "asked" to be seated together LOL

no...it doesn't work that way

I have done many grouip/singles cruises...and never had the problems that we had on the Destiny

BUT...besides the group problems....my cabin was the worst , with the tv plopped on the dresser, and also not cold enough, last day/s was actually warm/hot

and the lido was crowded. Horribly crowded

I am so sick of folks like you who do nothing but rant and rave about the negatives. Ok we heard you not drop it.

I get the feeling you would complain about anything. Probably trying to get money back. Get over it. It is past. A cruise is what you make of it. I bet you complain about everything in your life.

I get sick of people like you who ASSume things

A cruise is NOT what you make of it when a big old nasty tv is plopped on your dresser and the air cond does not work, and singles are seated at 2 and 4 tops....and an assistant waiter takes a USED ramekin of vanilla sauce and pours it on a quickly cooling bitter and blanc

not getting dessert or coffee 2 nights....being told to "share" a 2nd lobster tail by an arrogant waiter

I get the feeling you don't know me and don't know what you are talking about

I'll be on Destiny,july 11th for 5 nights.Its our first cruise.Hope we don't get disappointed.

I highly doubt you will be disappointed. There have been some great reviews of the ship. I know I experienced none of the negative stuff that is being mentioned on this thread. That is the reason I'm speaking up - I have nothing but positive things to say about the ship and the staff.

Go and enjoy!

I just looked at the Destiny deck plan and didnt see any cabins near the disco. What deck are the night owl cabins on?

I am friends with one of the Carnival Entertainers and he said they stay in crews quarters, just fyi.

One set of the Night Owl cabins are on Deck 6, between the two set of stairs. They are positioned directly above the Point After Dance Club.

For a while, on some deck plans, they were not shown since they had to be sorta "force booked".

Carnival Destiny did offer some challenges, but it was only on one of the three sailings I did onboard that ship . . . and those challengers were numerous.

That being said, Carnival Destiny also presented me with one of the all-time-best dining room servers in many many sailing on this line. It also presented me with the single-best bar server on any CCL voyage. Plus numerous evening meals were memorable for all the right reasons.

As far as cabin design goes, it was very similar to many of the others I've done on Carnival, though with the old-style television. But there is one thing I absolutely hope they fix on at least two cabins, and that is the placement of the towel bar/racks in the bathroom. The hand towel ring is so low that the towel actually touches the floor when hanging . . . and the location of the bath towel rack in the shower stall is just sheer doofus planning. Someone was smoking something fun that day, for sure. Yet it has never been fixed. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Towels-In-Shower-L.jpg

And if you ever have this particular crew member, you are in store for a wonderful experience (and her repeated awards means other felt the same as I did). :)

989064164_UYVqY-L-1.jpg

I just looked at the Destiny deck plan and didnt see any cabins near the disco. What deck are the night owl cabins on?

I am friends with one of the Carnival Entertainers and he said they stay in crews quarters, just fyi.

If you look at the ship plans from the current on-line brochure for the Caribbean 2010-2012, you will see that Destiny has the category: NO (Night Owl). Only the 1As are lower in category. They are deck 6 interior rooms right above the Point After Dance Club.

I'll be on Destiny,july 11th for 5 nights.Its our first cruise.Hope we don't get disappointed.

There were a few things we didn't like on our cruise last week, but they were absolutely minor and definitely didn't ruin our week. For instance, it annoyed me that mini golf closed before sunset each night. Again, not anything that would make it a bad vacation.

We LOVED the food and all our wait staff and cabin stewards were great. The buffet in Lido was constantly being cleaned. Despite being at full capacity, we never had to wait in horrid lines for Lido buffet - even on sea day. Granted, there were times the lines were there, we just seemed to always miss the rush, so it is possible. We never saw a problem with chair hogs either. They were there, but you could always find a spot.

Like I said earlier, we were in a suite, but it was one of the most comfortable beds ever and was very roomy.

the OP asked about "updated cabins on Destiny">> I told MY experience with the worst cabin I ever had on a Carnival ship....on Destiny

I also pointed out some clear problems that were specific to the Destiny ship itself....it is, after all, the ONLY ship in the so called "Destiny" class

Destiny has some design flaws that are unique to Destiny.....the size of the lido...(size of a fantasy class ship with 1000 more people to crowd it)

the poorly designed aft pool bar

the poorly designed bathrooms....NO built in shelves...and yeah the towel bars are very awkward

"updated">> My cabin sure wasn't

Destiny is due...or overdue...for a drydock

IF you never were on other ships then maybe it would be acceptable or fun

and yeah you might get lucky and get a good waiter....I sure didn't

however, no matter how you slice it or dice it, Destiny has some of the oldest cabins in the fleet....it lacks many of the "upgrades" that most every other Carnival ship has....it has some unique design flaws (including the only NO cabins)....they never made another one like Destiny...that alone tells you something doesn't it

You might enjoy it...I didn't....and apparently a lot of others didn't either as it has had various bad or mediocre reviews

as for the person who wants to make this personal or put the blame on me....LOL....not true. I have been on many other Carnival cruises and enjoyed them, yes I do sail out of South Florida mostly...my choice. I have a cruise booked for next May on Carnival.

I have been on the Destiny 2x....1 mediocre....1 horrible....never again

I would always pick the Imagination over the Destiny

oh...and one more "fact">>> Destiny has had a history of problems and complaints. It had a LOT of "smell" problems , it had air cond problems when it sailed out of Puerto Rico....it has had propulsion problems...it had some other mechanical problem in the week or so before I was on her in Oct 2010, we at least were spared that. But we did have air cond problems

And yes I agree that some people have a good time on Destiny , and/or a good enough time, but there also seem to be some who don't.

Read the reviews and ratings...it is not just me

Read the reviews and ratings

I TOTALLY agree! They aren't all negative ... many more are positive. Just saying:D

And this is coming from someone who was on the infamous 'cruise to nowhere' that forced the ship into drydock to fix that pesky propulsion issue.

Like Sharecruises advises, read the reviews. I think there are probably more that are positive than than negative, especially as negative as she experienced.

Some of us liked the ship and some hated it. I get it. Seems to me that balance is needed here. That is why I will continue to state that I liked my time onboard this ship and experienced nothing negative (unless you consider a complete itinerary change negative ;) ).

. . . And yes I agree that some people have a good time on Destiny , and/or a good enough time, but there also seem to be some who don't.

Read the reviews and ratings...it is not just me

You are correct that it isn't just you, but even I (someone no longer a big fan of the brand) have to admit that the reviews increased dramatically once the ship left its former home port of San Juan.

So I think reviews should not be researched back too far.

You are correct that it isn't just you, but even I (someone no longer a big fan of the brand) have to admit the that reviews increased dramatically once the ship left its former home port of San Juan.

So I think reviews should not be researched back too far.

Let's just all become fans of the Epic instead in large part due to you:D

DH and I took a cruise on the Destiny last August and I loved it. We had a aft interior on the lowest deck. No floral comforter, the TV was a big ol' set but it was up in the corner so it was mostly out of the way. The bathroom was pretty nice, small, but no complaints. Yes, the Lido line was incredibly long, but DH and I made the best of it.... just make sure to start heading toward the line before you get too hungry, we got through the line in about 20-30 minutes. Despite all that, we were still able to find a table to ourselves each time. She's a beautiful ship, so enjoy :)

I agree we had all white linens. white awesome comforter..very very clean and loved the bedding...I was very surprised how much we liked the Destiny because after all the reviews I had read I said to my husband "honey" I think I made a mistake with this ship..then I figured well its our vacation we will make the best of it and it was our Kids 1st cruise and sure enough we had a blast...food was excellent, service was excellent and what else can I say..we werent in the cabin long enough to watch TV, Room service we had some issues with but they threw in something extra at no charge...Also remember she is going into Dry Dock sometime in 2012!! Im sure she will be spruced up real nice....

Nuff said??? You might want to know what you are saying before you say it

This was a group cruise....a singles cruise....as such we are seated together, assigned seats the first night, and then we can "mix and mingle" among the tables

the TA and I recieved a seating chart from Carnival group directior.. it was 12 or mostly 10/8 tops...

then right before we cruised we got another seating chart....NOT as good but still ok.....but when we boarded our seating was totally messed, lots of "banquet" seats. 4 tops....some booths not even near the other seats...

some "2 tops" around a corner....SUPER AWKWARD FOR SINGLES

and....as a group .....outsiders /other singles should NOT be seated with us. As a group we have perks...not to be shared with outsiders...especially a certain outsider that both ta and I let them know I wanted to be kept away....this was a horrible cruise for us...

very obvious YOU don't know anything about group seating and group cruises, you merely assume that we walked in 103 strong and "asked" to be seated together LOL

no...it doesn't work that way

I have done many grouip/singles cruises...and never had the problems that we had on the Destiny

BUT...besides the group problems....my cabin was the worst , with the tv plopped on the dresser, and also not cold enough, last day/s was actually warm/hot

and the lido was crowded. Horribly crowded

Still, it can be very hard to get that large of a group "together" without outsiders.. seems to me like you are jumping in on any thread regarding the Destiny to post your negatives. We all have a right to post our view... but for heavens sake... arent you running it into the ground ... just a little.... it appears your biggest problem was the person that chose to sail the same time your group did.. that , the tv, th phone, come on now... a cruise is a cruise... cant you just have a little fun without all the complaints?/ I am sure many that see when you are cruising next are thankful that you posted that... nuff said...:D

as we leave on her on thursday i will check it out and give a quick reply on how she looks and service. We have never done a 4 day, and it is the weekend, so we are expecting somewhat of a rowdy crowd.....but i can slyly point and laugh just as well as the next person so i'm not too worried :)

Still, it can be very hard to get that large of a group "together" without outsiders.. seems to me like you are jumping in on any thread regarding the Destiny to post your negatives. We all have a right to post our view... but for heavens sake... arent you running it into the ground ... just a little.... it appears your biggest problem was the person that chose to sail the same time your group did.. that , the tv, th phone, come on now... a cruise is a cruise... cant you just have a little fun without all the complaints?/ I am sure many that see when you are cruising next are thankful that you posted that... nuff said...:D

Oh please….

I don’t post on subjects where I don’t know “jack”>> such as scuba diving

Why do you ?? NUFF said??

If people obviously know nothing about group cruises why comment??

Groups are NOT seated with “outsiders”…ever

Doesn’t matter if it is an insurance convention, church group or singles group

Groups get large tables….they have a group coordinator. The one on Destiny was clueless

My travel agent and I were sent seating charts before the cruise…8 and 10 tops, fine for group

Then a few days before the cruise were sent another chart….not as good but still acceptable mostly 8 tops

Then ..when we boarded…we were seated at a couple 8 tops and mostly banquets, 2 tops, 4 tops and booths..some far from each other

This is extremely awkward for a singles group…..I don’t care what you and your “dear wife” do, this is not comfortable or acceptable for singles to be seated at a 2 top. I had one poor guy and gal who didn’t know each other seated at a table that was around the corner…perfect for a honeymoon couple LOL

We HAD to sit in these seats the first night while the incompetant wine lady grilled us…usually getting our free bottle of wine is not a huge deal but with 2 tops and 4 tops it was a freaking mess.

The “outsiders” is a whole other issue I won’t get into…but I will say that YOU know nothing about group cruises.

I was on another cruise on Destiny....where we did have large tables and better dining room service. I still found it the worst ship ...really mediocre.

The lines in the buffet are very long no matter what.

Running it into the ground?? NO I think I am doing a service to people who may not know why there is ONLY one "Destiny" class ship...it is a ship with many flaws that they never made another one. Statistics don't lie

Compare Destiny to the Imagination.....Imagination has gotten the monthly award so many times they probably lost count....many of the staff on Imagination has been there for years and from what I have heard it is a favorite choice of the workers...Imagination has never had any "issues" such as a "smell" or air cond or propulsion problems.

4 nights KW and Coz same route on both ....I would pick Imagination every time....such a better cruise

I also don't appreciate the personal attacks. I have been on a lot of Carnival ships...some were great, most were good...Destiny was the worst hands down

I am not a Carnival cheerleader but I like Carnival in general. I just don't like the Destiny. IF you have never been on a cruise it might be fun. Otherwise....so many better choices

Now we see the much talked about "redo" and drydock may not be happening. I am sure that Carnival knows this is their worst ship and who knows?? Maybe they will sell it off or put it on the spanish line or whatever. I would love to see that happen...it would be nice to have any of the other ships do the 4 and 5 night runs out of Miami.

Don't let what sharecruiser says disturb you. She had a bad cruise on Destiny a few years ago[seems like 10!!:rolleyes:] and has been ranting ever since. I've no doubt there were problems but the negativity that spews from her when the Destiny comes up is a little much.

Pat

Don't let what sharecruiser says disturb you. She had a bad cruise on Destiny a few years ago[seems like 10!!:rolleyes:] and has been ranting ever since. I've no doubt there were problems but the negativity that spews from her when the Destiny comes up is a little much.

Pat

Not a few years ago...last October, Oct 28 2010

why do you care what I post?? I see a lot of bad reviews about Destiny

some people put down Carnival as a whole....some call it "Walmart of the Seas" or whatever...I don't do that. I do post facts about what I consider to be Carnival's worst ship.

and you can't argue the stats.....the size of the lido buffet vs the amount of passengers

I am posting facts.

Archived