How updated are the cabins on Destiny?

betmar8694

Uninformed peasant, here. (Thanks, dcruze, that was a great post!) LOL!

Just had to chime in on this thread because I don't want the OP to be scared away from the Destiny.

We spent two weeks (B2B2B) on the Destiny in January/February. The ship was great. Our cruise was great. Our cabin was wonderful. the bathroom was a little small, but it didn't ruin our trip. I couldn't tell you what kind of television we had. We never watched it. If we weren't out and about we were on our balcony. I couldn't tell you whether the lines at the Lido buffet were long or not. Then again, I don't care that much about food (I don't cruise for food). If the line was long, we'd wait until the line was shorter. We knew we wern't going to starve to death, so we simply came back.

As for group cruises, I have no idea how that works. However, did I miss that the OP was going on a group cruise? Not sure how the bad group experience would apply to him, otherwise?

While I don't discount the bad experiences, I can honestly state that we had a wonderful Destiny cruise. We had so much fun, we're actually going back with family in October!

Oh, and FWIW, I've never set foot in a Motel 6! :D

Please dont let the posts scare you. There are many good reviews as well, please see Froufies and Swimom. I will be on the Destiny in Sept and plan on writing a review too.

and I could say "don't let the positive posts sway you" ...same difference

Read the reviews on CC....lots of 1 and 2 star for Destiny....outlining the same problems I have written about. The 4/5 star reviews seem to mostly be from 1st time cruisers

Forget the "unique" problems I personally had (regarding a group cruise, bad seating, bad management etc)....the ship simply was NOT on a level with the other Carnival ships I have been on

I have been on 3 ships since my oct cruise of 2010...and all were heads above Destiny in so many ways (Imagination, Glory and Valor)

I am able to "accept" the fact that you had a "good" cruise on Destiny

however....some are unwilling to accept the fact that I had one totally mediocre cruise on this ship and one lousy cruise.

If you read my reviews you would see that the entertainment was actually pretty good and I stated that. I did have a problem with the tv and phone....again I do NOT watch tv much BUT this tv obscured the phone which I did NEED to use.

I also have a total problem with bad air conditioning.

I found the MDR staff unacceptable and rude. Being denied a 2nd lobster tail, being questioned when I wanted more than one appetizer, never getting things I asked for (lemons, worchester sauce)....and coup de grace : a clueless assistant picking up a USED ramekin of vanilla sauce from a dirty table and pouring it on my fast cooling bitter and blanc while I said NOOOOOOO

no dessert or coffee 2 out of 4 nights....."no time"

Just had to chime in on this thread because I don't want the OP to be scared away from the Destiny.

We spent two weeks (B2B2B) on the Destiny in January/February. The ship was great. Our cruise was great. Our cabin was wonderful. the bathroom was a little small, but it didn't ruin our trip. I couldn't tell you what kind of television we had. We never watched it. If we weren't out and about we were on our balcony. I couldn't tell you whether the lines at the Lido buffet were long or not. Then again, I don't care that much about food (I don't cruise for food). If the line was long, we'd wait until the line was shorter. We knew we wern't going to starve to death, so we simply came back.

As for group cruises, I have no idea how that works. However, did I miss that the OP was going on a group cruise? Not sure how the bad group experience would apply to him, otherwise?

While I don't discount the bad experiences, I can honestly state that we had a wonderful Destiny cruise. We had so much fun, we're actually going back with family in October!

Of, and FWIW, I've never set foot in a Motel 6! :D

Uh no...actually the OP asked if the cabins were updated on Destiny...so your post did not answer him cause you "didn't notice" LOL

My cabin was NOT updated. IF an updated cabin/ship is important to the OP, I would sure look elsewhere.....apparently the much touted "dry dock" for Destiny in Jan 2012 has been canceled

i'm not certain i understand? Are you saying that you did a 5 day, or that my cruise is a 5 day? Either way, it is good to hear it was quiet.....we heard that anything less than a 7 day that covers a weekend on carnival is a bunch of obnoxious drunks......this came from a TA, so we were a little uneasy booking it, but i'm sure we can find some fun, even if they are there.

Sharecruises is always "passionate" of her dislike of the destiny....or any other of her dislikes. Take her comments with a grain of salt. It's a shame because she gets so worked up and starts attacking. She apparently lives somewhere in south florida as do I.....Whenever i'm out and see someone verbally attacking another....i always wonder if it's her.:rolleyes:

That is a really crappy thing to say. I don't attack people verbally.

I don't attack other posters. People simply attack me cause they don't want to hear MY truth. I am not going to sugar coat things

I have done fair and balanced reviews of all my (fairly recent) cruises.

Sorry, OP. Sharecruises is right, I neglected to answer your question.

I have no idea if our cabin was updated. I'm really not sure how one would know if it was updated, anyway. I can state that our cabin looked exactly like the cabins on every other Carnival ship I've ever been on. Right down to the orange/pink naugahyde sofa. The bed linens? White, like every other Carnival ship I've been on. The bathroom? Ugly pink, small, but clean. The television? I didn't notice it. We tend to not watch t.v. while on vacation. There are too many other interesting things to do.

So, there you have it. I really don't know if our cabin was updated. Like I said, it looked just like every other cabin we've had on every other Carnival ship.

Oh, and FWIW, I've never set foot in a Motel 6! :D

Thanks for that info! good post!

That is a really crappy thing to say. I don't attack people verbally.

I don't attack other posters. People simply attack me cause they don't want to hear MY truth. I am not going to sugar coat things

I have done fair and balanced reviews of all my (fairly recent) cruises.

you may want to take another look at your posts......look at them another way. You come across as a know it all and a bully. When you put things in caps....you are yelling. I have never seen anyone on here disagree so much on a topic and beat it to death. It's sad.....you take a topic of discussion......and it seems like the discussion ends with your lack of social skills.....the common denominator is you hon.

you may want to take another look at your posts......look at them another way. You come across as a know it all and a bully. When you put things in caps....you are yelling. I have never seen anyone on here disagree so much on a topic and beat it to death. It's sad.....you take a topic of discussion......and it seems like the discussion ends with your lack of social skills.....the common denominator is you hon.

Hon??? Calling people "Hon" is a lack of social skills IMHO

Hey I see bad reviews on MSC but I don't challenge them or belittle those who write them. I do plan to sail them in Nov. I will post an honest review about MY experiences after I sail

I don't have a "stake" in Carnival (or other) cruiselines...I don't know why some people feel "obliged" to convince others to cheer for Carnival or even for cruising in general. An example : a guy says he had a good time on the Miracle and yet doesn't feel cruising is for him...why try to change his mind?? IF you like the Destiny....great....I didn't. Your posts won't change that.

The topic here was "how updated are the cabins on Destiny">> well they are not updated, and it looks like the ship won't have the "drydock" that was planned

"We make our own fun"...."any day at sea is better than a day at work"...and so on and so on. Whatever floats your boat....the fact remains that Destiny is about the least updated of all the ships ...no Serenity area....and my bathroom was NOT nice. Horrible big tube tv plopped on the dresser. Yes, Valor had tube tv...but it was MOUNTED high up so out of the way. The "mounts" on Destiny are out of stock, broken and they no longer have more mounts to put them up. So they are plopped on the desk...MINE obscured the phone. Can you understand that ???

Beyond the horrible service and "unique" problems I personally had, the ship itself needs some work IMHO. I have been on Imagination a lot of times and it is much nicer (again, IMHO) than the Destiny

Hey I see bad reviews on MSC but I don't challenge them or belittle those who write them. I do plan to sail them in Nov. I will post an honest review about MY experiences after I sail

I don't have a "stake" in Carnival (or other) cruiselines...I don't know why some people feel "obliged" to convince others to cheer for Carnival or even for cruising in general. An example : a guy says he had a good time on the Miracle and yet doesn't feel cruising is for him...why try to change his mind?? IF you like the Destiny....great....I didn't. Your posts won't change that.

The topic here was "how updated are the cabins on Destiny">> well they are not updated, and it looks like the ship won't have the "drydock" that was planned

"We make our own fun"...."any day at sea is better than a day at work"...and so on and so on. Whatever floats your boat....the fact remains that Destiny is about the least updated of all the ships ...no Serenity area....and my bathroom was NOT nice. Horrible big tube tv plopped on the dresser. Yes, Valor had tube tv...but it was MOUNTED high up so out of the way. The "mounts" on Destiny are out of stock, broken and they no longer have more mounts to put them up. So they are plopped on the desk...MINE obscured the phone. Can you understand that ???

Beyond the horrible service and "unique" problems I personally had, the ship itself needs some work IMHO. I have been on Imagination a lot of times and it is much nicer (again, IMHO) than the Destiny

the point is you have made your point how much you despise the Destiny and anything and everything about it...Yes the Destiny will be going into dry dock in 2012 and Im sure will be getting a nice makeover...But I agree with the poster above you really you should go back and look at some of the things you wrote, also when people write things on a message board they do not always come out the way someone is actually saying it...

I was on Destiny last year, and will be back on her in a couple of months. The ship is in decent shape, but her cabins need the same overhaul that the Fantasy class ships have gotten. The main part of the cabin wasn't too bad, but ours did have the old TV which wasn't even secured within the box. The bathroom was also fairly run down, with some mildew in the shower. One day our soap/shampoo dispenser fell off the wall. Our friends had bathroom issues as well. Their drain didn't work well, and flooded the floor during each shower.

These small issues certainly didn't ruin our cruise, but they do need to give her the same refresh that her siblings have had. There are cabin photos in my review, which is linked in my sig.

the point is you have made your point how much you despise the Destiny and anything and everything about it...Yes the Destiny will be going into dry dock in 2012 and Im sure will be getting a nice makeover...But I agree with the poster above you really you should go back and look at some of the things you wrote, also when people write things on a message board they do not always come out the way someone is actually saying it...

Umm..... do you mean things that come out like calling someone "Hon"??

the "news" is that Destiny's MUCH needed makerover/drydock is NOT happening....at least not when it was scheduled. How and why are you "sure" it will get a nice makeover?? The Drydock is apparently NOT happening

I was on Destiny last year, and will be back on her in a couple of months. The ship is in decent shape, but her cabins need the same overhaul that the Fantasy class ships have gotten. The main part of the cabin wasn't too bad, but ours did have the old TV which wasn't even secured within the box. The bathroom was also fairly run down, with some mildew in the shower. One day our soap/shampoo dispenser fell off the wall. Our friends had bathroom issues as well. Their drain didn't work well, and flooded the floor during each shower.

These small issues certainly didn't ruin our cruise, but they do need to give her the same refresh that her siblings have had. There are cabin photos in my review, which is linked in my sig.

Thanks Darth....I enjoy your reviews and pictures. I am sailing on the Poesia....in Nov.....and I KNOW it gets some bad reviews :) But it does look lovely and price is right for 4 nights

I read your Imagination review too....that is one of my all time favorites.

Did you read /hear that the Destiny's scheduled drydock is NOT happening now (apparently)...??? What do you think that means???

the Dry Dock will happen, yes they postponed it..and NO I wasnt referring to the Hon comment...who knows maybe they will be moving the Destiny to another Port? Who knows but in the meantime what is it to you? you wont be sailing on her anyway, and again We were on the Destiny in December and although she needs a makeover, my cabin was spotless, our MDR service was impeccable we loved the entertainment and we had a blast and it was our kids 1st cruise which was very memorable as they still talk about it...as a matter of fact quiet a few of my son's friends/family have sailed on the destiny and they were happy as well..We also went on a Full Ship in December and had no issues to complain about other than it was too short...

you are right, the topic was how updated are the cabins... not how was your service for your gigantic group cruise... how was your entertainment... how does this ship compare to your favorite ship, imagination??? And it is not the rule to get a second lobster... do you get that in a restaurant at home? It is just a courtesy that does not have to happen. Get over it already... let this thread be about what they want to know, not your constant complaining about anything and everything... good lord... does your head hurt much??

you are right, the topic was how updated are the cabins... not how was your service for your gigantic group cruise... how was your entertainment... how does this ship compare to your favorite ship, imagination??? And it is not the rule to get a second lobster... do you get that in a restaurant at home? It is just a courtesy that does not have to happen. Get over it already... let this thread be about what they want to know, not your constant complaining about anything and everything... good lord... does your head hurt much??

My first posts were about the cruddy cabin conditions....

however we had to hear how a mom and her kids didn't even notice what sort of tv was there blah blah blah...

fair is fair...if you don't want my off topic posts why not mention the continuous posts about how much fun some kids had on Destiny?? Kids have fun anywhere....LOL

back to the cabins....they are NOT updated like the rest of the fleet

and I don't see anything that even says they are rescheduling the "drydock"

Maybe they will sell Destiny off, move her to one of their other lines like Pulmantur or maybe they will move her to another port?? I hope they do...it would be great to have a better ship take over the 4 and 5 night cruises out of Miami JMO

Thanks Darth....I enjoy your reviews and pictures. I am sailing on the Poesia....in Nov.....and I KNOW it gets some bad reviews :) But it does look lovely and price is right for 4 nights

I read your Imagination review too....that is one of my all time favorites.

Did you read /hear that the Destiny's scheduled drydock is NOT happening now (apparently)...??? What do you think that means???

Its unfortunate because it is needed. I think it's just more evidence of the constant malicious cost cutting on CCLs part. Its not just CCL though, many RCI fans are also complaining about cuts. They will continue to do so because they want to keep fares low and they know that is what drives most bookings. I think it will continue until they start seeing a loss of business due to their cutbacks.

Back on topic, I actually think she should have gotten the renovations right along with the Fantasy Class ships. Destiny is more likely to be kept in the fleet longer. She is the more modern ship when compared to the Fantasy Class. She has the greater number of balconies, three pools (compared to the Fantasy Class's one after EOF) and the big screen.

ummmm seriously LOL @ share cruises....get a life.....hon;) Clearly you are not from the south.

i just returned today. The tv was large, but in the box where it should be. The telephone.....mounted on the wall.....on the wall furthest from the tv. It looked like a carnival room to me.....very orange. The breeze rooms with all the blues look like heaven. The shower tile was pink and blue:eek: however the showers were huge! Really the only thing in the room that was worth complaining about is the toilet paper holder is behind the toilet.....what they were thinking of when they did that i would really like to know lol. So, we took it off the holder, and placed it on the counter of the very pink sink....everyday. The room steward....put it back, every day lol.

Now for the BEST part of the destiny rooms.....2 electrical outlets!!!!! It felt like we won the lottery :)

We were also in our friends cabin, and it was the same. To me, it looked like the valor cabin, just a little shorter....excpt for the bathroom! The cabins are clean, comfy.....don't worry.....from all the blustering on here.....i expected it to be horrible. It was average.

Sharecruises, if you just reported the facts then I would have 3 less posts for a total of 7 and you would have about 2400 less posts for a total of about 50. Just because others don't have the same experience as you does not mean that yours are facts and they are just uninformed peasants who don't know any better.

I 2nd that! The Destiny is a great but aging ship! She will be getting her overhaul nextyear sometime & the staff try thier best to keep her in tip top shape! The rooms have a great bed & clean shower, WHY all the complaining from CERTAIN people on here, I enjoyed my room & barely turned on my old tube T.V. I spent most of my time HAVING A BLAST AROUND THE SHIP, NOT FUSSING ABOUT LITTLE THINGS! She thinks cause she screams loudest on here that she is right! Also the buffet is the same as the VICTORY & TRIUMPH NOT the FANTASY CLASS ships! & their are two adult only spas in the back of the ship with a cool view BTW!!!

I enjoyed my room & barely turned on my old tube T.V. I spent most of my time HAVING A BLAST AROUND THE SHIP, NOT FUSSING ABOUT LITTLE THINGS! She thinks cause she screams loudest on here that she is right! Also the buffet is the same as the VICTORY & TRIUMPH NOT the FANTASY CLASS ships! & their are two adult only spas in the back of the ship with a cool view BTW!!!

No, I think you are all missing her point. You're being apologists for a ship that is in desperate need for an overhaul. Regardless of whether or not you had a good time, it doesn't negate the fact that the ship is out-moded. That's her point. We're all glad you had a great time, but you're dodging the initial question and making excuses or apologies for a ship.

And you really shouldn't complain about others screaming when you're typing in all caps.

No, I think you are all missing her point. You're being apologists for a ship that is in desperate need for an overhaul. Regardless of whether or not you had a good time, it doesn't negate the fact that the ship is out-moded. That's her point. We're all glad you had a great time, but you're dodging the initial question and making excuses or apologies for a ship.

And you really shouldn't complain about others screaming when you're typing in all caps.

HMM like I said the rooms are not updated but some facts stated by people were not facts thats my point!!!! I answered the OP's question but they are clean & comfy with updated bedspreads & great sheets/pillows that they have on the whole fleet no excuses here the ship is not a floating rust bucket & no ship is perfect no excuses were listed by me thank you! & have a a great week

Don't let what sharecruiser says disturb you. She had a bad cruise on Destiny a few years ago[seems like 10!!:rolleyes:] and has been ranting ever since. I've no doubt there were problems but the negativity that spews from her when the Destiny comes up is a little much.

Pat

I agree. It is too much. She had me worried about sailing on Destiny, but we had a great time over spring break. I would definitely sail Destiny again.

while they may not be right... it appears to me that she had a bad time because her phone couldnt be used , the big tv, which she could have moved if it was really that big of a problem, the big tv was in her way... how much would it have taken to scoot it over?

Actually it appears to me, that with all of her complaints about her cruise on the destiny, she didnt have good time. So, she probably called or emailed CCL , in hopes of a discount or credit on a future cruise... and they said no. Her response, she will make sure she does anything she can to keep people from booking on this ship. I could be wrong, but sounds a little like revenge....

while they may not be right... it appears to me that she had a bad time because her phone couldnt be used , the big tv, which she could have moved if it was really that big of a problem, the big tv was in her way... how much would it have taken to scoot it over?

Actually it appears to me, that with all of her complaints about her cruise on the destiny, she didnt have good time. So, she probably called or emailed CCL , in hopes of a discount or credit on a future cruise... and they said no. Her response, she will make sure she does anything she can to keep people from booking on this ship. I could be wrong, but sounds a little like revenge....

Uhhh....if you have read my posts...there was NO where to move the tv

I asked to have it removed totally (the picture was barely viewable)

No can do....the tv was huge. as I have stated it was bigger than the other tv I saw in someone's picture. It was so big it covered the phone...and there was NO where to move it. Get the picture???

They also TOLD me that the part to hold it on the wall is no longer manufactured and they no longer have them so they have apparently put the tv's on the dresser. This was IMMOVABLE

I think people should be made aware just how crappy some of the cabins are on the Destiny

The TOPIC OF THIS THREAD....HOW UPDATED ARE THE CABINS ON DESTINY....SIMPLE ANSWER .....NOT UPDATED....OLD BATHROOMS....NO SHELVES....MOLD.....OLD CABINENTS....OLD TUBE TV WITH NO MOUNTING BRACKET THAT IS PLOPPED ON THE COUNTER.....THAT IS THE ANSWER

I am able to "accept" the fact that you had a "good" cruise on Destiny[/b]

however....some are unwilling to accept the fact that I had one totally mediocre cruise on this ship and one lousy cruise.

I totally accept that you do not like Destiny, I just get tired of reading the same comments over and over and over. Anyone who searches for information on Destiny will find your comments, so you don't have to beat us to death with them.

Archived