Galveston...how many days pre cruise?

bobhsv

Hi,

Wondering what there is to do/see in Galveston. We are from Oz and have never been to the states before, but looking seriously at a cruise departing Galveston. Do you suggest to fly in a few days before, or just one day before? What is the transport like around the area? Anything outstanding that we should see or do?

Thanks in advance.

Jen

HI

Wish I could help you out with this one but I cant. I am cruising from Galveston in March 2012, and am flying in the day before (but I am only a 9 hour drive from there). From what I have gathered from other cruisers on this board...it is always best to fly in the day before you cruise...and perhaps...with your distance...2 days might be best. Which cruise are you considering?

It is on Crown Princess, April 2013, going to Costa Maya, Roatan, Belize City and Cozumel. Way off, but thought it best to begin planning. Also looking at cruising back home again from somewhere, maybe LA, but not sure yet re the timing. Or perhaps, while we are over there, doing a Hawaii one. Seems a waste to come all that way, just for a week, and not see/do anything else. This is why I am planning early....also wish to book the airfares well in advance, as they will be a lot cheaper. I would never consider flying in on the day....too risky.

Jen

We have been to Galveston many times (we live in Dallas), and have taken a number of cruises out of Galveston.

When we go, we usually arrive 2 days pre-cruise... but that includes a leisure drive from Dallas... drive down, a nice dinner.... spending the next day just driving up and down the coastline... then catching the cruise early the next morning.

But as you can see, we have a car. Flying in, you're most likely going to be coming from Houston. Depending upon your arrival time in Houston, by the time you get out of the airport and arrive in Galveston, most of your day is going to be pretty much shot.

If you have a rental car, I'd suggest 1 day for arrival and getting settled, then 1 day exploring Galveston and the coastline, then early the next morning for the cruise departure

If you don't have a rental car, then just arrive the day before the cruise.

I wouldn't say that Galveston necessarily offers a lot to see and do. Since all the destruction by the hurricane, they've done a good job of recovery... but don't feel bad if you just come in the day before and miss the sightseeing.

Don't get me wrong, we enjoy it... but it's not something you'll regret missing

Don't hesitate to come to Galveston several days before your cruise. There is so much to do here as well as all the history, that a few days won't cover everything. You will regret not seeing this old, great city that has recovered quite well from Ike just as our families did after the 1900 storm.

We have great restaurants from white table cloth to very casual, the 1894 Grand Opera House, Lone Star Flight Museum, Schlitterbahn, Moody Gardens, The Great Storm Theater, Texas Seaport Museum, Tall Ship Elissa, Ocean Star Drilling Rig Museum, Mosquito fishing fleet, Bishop's Palace, Moody Mansion, Railroad Museum, beautiful churches and historical homes dating from 1847 (ours dates from 1860) and more. The Strand is the original business/shopping area and Post Office Street has art galleries and restaurants.

The Seawall was built after the worst natural disaster is U.S. history, the great storm of 1900 where over 6000 were killed.

Galveston is known for the following FIRSTS in the State of Texas:

Post Office - 1836

Naval Base - 1836

Cotton Press - 1842

Parochial School (Ursuline Sisters) - 1847

Insurance Company - 1847

Gas Lights - 1856

Telephone - 1878

Electric lights - 1883

and more, too much to list.

Don't underestimate what Galveston has to offer, one just needs to look around and will find numerous things to see and do. Google "galveston" and check out galveston.com

I feel bad when cruisers dismiss us as only a means to get on a ship.

I totally agree with Galveston Cruiser. I have been going to Galveston all my life. There is so much to do and see. Also do not forget the Ferry. It is free and you almost always see dolphins.

Unfortunately most people do just come in the day before their cruise (like most cruise ports in the US) and do not get to see all that is offered.

Also I see you are thinking about cruising the Hawaiian Islands. I have done this and also been on land vacations of Hawaii. I would suggest a cruise to see more of Hawaii and maybe to stay in Ohau for two or three days.

So come to Galveston a few days early - you will not be disappointed. It is full of history.

Thanks so much for your answers. Glad to hear Galveston has more to offer than I had read, particularly re the historic places. Also good to hear that Ohau is the place to go. Thankyou too for the web sites....exactly what we needed to see. Will plan for some time in these areas.

Jen

There is alot to do in Houston too. Since you will be there in April, you can catch a Baseball game if you like that, go shoping, get some Texas BBQ, NASA there in Houston as well. So your not just stuck on the Island the whole time.

If you're on the Qantas flight to DFW, you have a larger number of options. If you have the time, I'd consider renting a car in Dallas and spending a day or two in the North Texas area then taking back roads to Austin, San Antonio then over to Houstin and Galveston.

There is a lot to do in Galveston

Main areas to stay

On the Gulf (seawall)(many motels and hotels)

On the Bay (Moody Gardens Hotel))

Downtown Old Town Historic District by Port - (Harbor House and Tremont)

On highway coming into town(few)

----------------------

see INTERNET maps for visual

of Greater Houston Metro

and to get bearings of island

galveston.com ....interact and discover.... maps

Houston Map PDF

Download Houston-area map in PDF Format:

Houston Metro

Galveston Island Map PDF

Download Galveston-area map in PDF Format (note: this is a large, 11' wide, print-quality map, so please be patient):

Galveston (B&W)

Galveston (Color Hi-Resolution)

----------------------------

In my opinion

San Luis, Hilton, Moody Gardens, Tremont, Galvez and Harbor House

are the better hotels.

Many other nice ones obviously!

Hotel pricing in Galveston is relative to seasonal and special events happening!

It is certainly a supply and demand situation!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

With a couple of days only

There is plenty to do in Galveston/Kemah/Nasa area

There are special events in Galveston

area almost every weekend

See

galveston.com (what to do)(calendar of events) your vacation calendar dates

galvestonhistory.org ---------Galveston Historical Foundation !!!!!!

moodygardens.com ------ just look at site !!!!!!

www.thegrand.com/calendar – 1894 Grand Opera House !!!!!!

If you are willing to expand yourselves

I would have you consider the following:

Fly into San Antonio ....

Stay on Riverwalk .......

Rent Car

Drive to Gruene 1/2 hour.......

then to Houston to museum district …….

then to Clearlake ---- Kemah/Nasa

on the way to Galveston

Clearlake

Nasa Space Center

Kemah board walk - kemahboardwalk.com

Galveston:

beaches beaches beaches

old town Galveston *- on strand and post office streets

(lots of shops and ice cream, old army surplus store, fine restaurants)

wineries and wine festivals

restaurants overlooking gulf and on port

two first class convention centers

many live theater venues

many live music venues

free concert nights - old town Galveston *- on strand

free film nights -old town Galveston *- on strand

free band nights-“family/kids” oriented-summer outdoor Tuesdays 24th & Sealy

1894 grand opera house * (a must seetour, and/or performances of many types)

chess park

artist festivals

museums

antique stores and art Galleries

horse drawn carriage rides

swimming in Gulf

fine restaurants

night scene

Galveston Historical Foundation properties*

many Historical and Victorian homes

galveston has second largest preservation membership in United States

bishops palace (wonderful)

moody mansion(wonderful)

ashton villa (wonderful)

moody gardens *(lots and lots and lots to do) (massive, fun and family oriented)

schlitterbahn water park

restored tall ship schooner Elissa www.tsm-elissa.org (wonderful)

1900 storm and pirate jean lafite documentary films at port

maritime museum- www.tsm-elissa.org

airplane museum (Lone Star Flight Museum)- http://www.lsfm.org/

railroad museum - http://www.galvestonrrmuseum.com

oil drilling rig museum - www.oceanstaroec.com

sea wolf park – WWII submarine and destroyer - www.cavalla.org

large souvenir shop over gulf water - Murdochs

walks and shelling on the beach

cruise ships (RCCL, Carnival, Princess, Disney)

fishing (piers, wadefishing and charters-offshore & inshore))

golfing

large skate board park

kayaking trails

surfing and children surf camps

kite flying on beach

marine life and children marine care educational camps at moody gardens

marine life and children marine camps at Texas AM University - Sea Camp Programs

many running events with major Triathlon event

sand castle building event

shopping shoping shoping

dolphin watching and port tours

turtle rescue farm behind San Luis Resort

carved damaged trees tour from storm

free ferry ride and a short cruise

duck tour (amphibious boat)

galveston.com/ interact and discover/cams

many major weekly events and festivals not mentioned

as example :

Art Walk (every 5 or so weeks year around)

Dickens on Strand (Dec) ----LARGE - http://www.dickensonthestrand.com

Lone Star Motorcycle Rally (Nov) ---LARGE - www.lonestarrally.com

Mardi Gras Galveston (Feb) ----LARGE - whttp://www.mardigrasgalveston.com

October Fest

Beer Fest

Wine Fest

Greek Fest

Epicurean Evening of all restaurants

Shrimp Fest

Yega’s Wild Game Cook Off,

County Fair - LARGE

Children’s Fest

Feather Fest -

Old Timey Bathing Beauty Fest

and many many more !!

Trauma 1 Emergency Hospital on Island – Univ. Texas Medical Branch/Sealy Hospital

Better restaurants in Galveston in my opinion are

Sunday Brunch at Galvez Hotel

Rudi and Pacos...*white table cloths... no shorts.....

central american seafood, and steaks.... 20st Post Office Downtown

reservations recommended

Gaidos ...... *legendary and wonderful ..Seawall

Gaidos-Pelican Club-separate kitchen- if you are members

of your local club, it is reciprocal

Olympia Grill *views are great-

wonderful Greek food, seafood, and steaks - on Port

Original Mexican .....14th….Great and Oldest

Mosquito Cafe and their new bakery across Street....14th - The Best

The Spot ------food and cervezas, BEST PEOPLE WATCHING

(Family hamburger area and The Spot’s different bars are next door and above

--new level decks and bars with new and better views of gulf)

Fishermans Wharf ....Port

Willie G's ..... on Port

SeaSide Bistro - Seawall

Shearns - Moody Gardens views great....white table cloths..sunsets

Saltwater Grill .....Seafood assortments, soups, bisques, gumbos

20th Post Office St Downtown

Sky Bar ..... Sushi and Steaks........ 21st Post Office Downtown

Steak Restaurant in San Luis Hotel ....Seawall

Luigi's ......Italian .....Strand downtown

DiBellas....... Italian …..31st and O..... locals haunt and in old house

Le Croys Cajun... Strand

Sunflower Bakery and Cafe.... 14th

Clarys Seafood - Offitts Bayou

New York Pizza – Seawall - thin crust

Others:

Benos... Seawall

Shrimp and Stuff.....39 and O

Strand Street Café -Strand

Millers ....Seawall

Fish Tales ....Seawall

Joe's Crab Shack ....Seawall

Brickhouse……..Seawall

Landrys Seafood ....Seawall

Saltgrass Steakhouse ....Seawall

Rainforest Cafe ....Seawall

Gumbos....Post Office

M&M .....24th

Mod Coffeehouse (Postoffice St, downtown)

Lunchbox Cafe (23rd St, downtown, small eatery that serves locally grown food)

Murphy's Pub (22nd St, downtown, TONS of beer on tap, including Texas favorites; )

LaKings Confectionary and Factory(The Strand, downtown)

top 10 restaurants list in Galveston in the Houston Press:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating...n_galvesto.php

look on galveston.com/what to do/dining in galveston

IMHO, There is more to see in South East Texas than Galvenston. You can see alot of it in one day, its a old run down town and the streets are dirty. Im sorry I just have to put it out there just go one block off the SeaWall and its rough and run down. Even the far end of the Island just has empty lots were nothing was built. Moody Gardens was nice in 1995, it hasnt been updated since then. Go see the Houston Zoo its better. There is better shopping in Houston and nicer hotels. But one night there is ok to be close to the ship but the prices they ask for on the Island, for example the Hilton on the island you can get the Four Seasons in Downtown Houston for the same price.

IMHO, There is more to see in South East Texas than Galvenston. You can see alot of it in one day, its a old run down town and the streets are dirty. Im sorry I just have to put it out there just go one block off the SeaWall and its rough and run down. Even the far end of the Island just has empty lots were nothing was built. Moody Gardens was nice in 1995, it hasnt been updated since then. Go see the Houston Zoo its better. There is better shopping in Houston and nicer hotels. But one night there is ok to be close to the ship but the prices they ask for on the Island, for example the Hilton on the island you can get the Four Seasons in Downtown Houston for the same price.

I have to put my 2 cents worth in on this...Moody Gardens was just redone and it is still very nice! I was just over there this week. The Rainforest Pyramid just reopened and has been completely refurbished since Hurricane Ike. Moody Gardens is far, far from being "run down." Many, many parts of the island have been refurbished since Ike. Yes, there are old parts of town that are run down as in any town, but the island is very rich in history. You can get the Hilton during the week for $99 and I don't think you will get the Four Seasons in downtown Houston for that price during the week. Yes, the prices jump higher on the weekends because it's a tourist destination and summer is high season. With all that said, you still can stay in Galveston and be close to the Kemah boardwalk, NASA, shopping in Friendswood, and if you want to make a trip to Houston and the Museum District and visit the Zoo you can do all those things. We live 40 min. from Galveston and have lived here for over 30 years. There are also many good restaurants...like it was said above, from white tablecloths to fast food! We still like to go spend the weekend in Galveston. I love The Galvez, Tremont House, and yes, we've stayed at the Hilton a few times too.

I am grateful for all your responses.......positive and 'negative'. A huge thankyou to ssb and others for your detailed info. Seems to me there is a lot to do/see around the area, and your info is priceless. I am aware that there are good and bad parts to every city in the world....and it is not like we are moving there...just visiting for a couple of days, and looking forward to seeing the highlights mentioned. Galveston sounds like a nice place to visit re sightseeing, and I am pleased that Houston is within easy reach. This is what travelling is all about, seeing different things with the added bonus of a cruise to relax on (maybe...lol).

Thanks again for all responses.

Jen

I am grateful for all your responses.......positive and 'negative'. A huge thankyou to ssb and others for your detailed info. Seems to me there is a lot to do/see around the area, and your info is priceless. I am aware that there are good and bad parts to every city in the world....and it is not like we are moving there...just visiting for a couple of days, and looking forward to seeing the highlights mentioned. Galveston sounds like a nice place to visit re sightseeing, and I am pleased that Houston is within easy reach. This is what travelling is all about, seeing different things with the added bonus of a cruise to relax on (maybe...lol).

Thanks again for all responses.

Jen

I hope you have a great time on your pre-cruise visit to Texas!

I have decided to just make the best of it. We already have the cruise partially paid so we are just staying with it. I am only sorry about not being about to rent a car and returning it on Sunday. We are coming in 2 days ahead so hopefully Friday and Sat, we will find things to do. We always rent a car and drive around and see everything. Any suggestions on what we can do. We are staying at San luis Resort which looks nice. We have 4 of us arriving from different areas. Still haven't worked on the shuttle. We need one from Bush and one from Hobby. Looked at different places but still haven't found any gluten free places yet.

I have decided to just make the best of it. We already have the cruise partially paid so we are just staying with it. I am only sorry about not being about to rent a car and returning it on Sunday. We are coming in 2 days ahead so hopefully Friday and Sat, we will find things to do. We always rent a car and drive around and see everything. Any suggestions on what we can do. We are staying at San luis Resort which looks nice. We have 4 of us arriving from different areas. Still haven't worked on the shuttle. We need one from Bush and one from Hobby. Looked at different places but still haven't found any gluten free places yet.

San Luis is wonderful!

I did see a sign in a restaurant for gluten free recently in Galveston!

A senior moment I don’t recall where!

Maybe Mosquito Cafe?

I will keep my eye out !

We live in Galveston

and I am not much help in transfers from

Hobby and Bush for we do not use them!

Ask any other questions if you like!

First cruise out of Galveston, we just spent the one night before the cruise...and in the cab ride to the boat we noticed a lot of interesting buildings, shops, etc ..and it made us wish we'd spent an extra day sightseeing. So on the next cruise, we spent an extra day & night...and liked it so much, we now always spend 3 nights pre-cruise. We like Galveston a lot, and look forward to spending time there this December before our next cruise!:)

First cruise out of Galveston, we just spent the one night before the cruise...and in the cab ride to the boat we noticed a lot of interesting buildings, shops, etc ..and it made us wish we'd spent an extra day sightseeing. So on the next cruise, we spent an extra day & night...and liked it so much, we now always spend 3 nights pre-cruise. We like Galveston a lot, and look forward to spending time there this December before our next cruise!:)

This first weekend in December is "Dickens on the Strand". A celebration of Charles Dickens and his writing of a Christmas Carol put on by the Galveston Historical Foundation. Lots of festivities downtown as well as a descendent of Charles Dickens as the highlight of the weekend. I believe we will have Lucinda Dickens Hawksley again this coming year, the great, great granddaughter of Charles. Absolutely lovely young women who is also a well know author and curator of the Museum in London.

This first weekend in December is "Dickens on the Strand". A celebration of Charles Dickens and his writing of a Christmas Carol put on by the Galveston Historical Foundation. Lots of festivities downtown as well as a descendent of Charles Dickens as the highlight of the weekend. I believe we will have Lucinda Dickens Hawksley again this coming year, the great, great granddaughter of Charles. Absolutely lovely young women who is also a well know author and curator of the Museum in London.

We missed last year, but was there for Dickens on the Strand in both 2008 and 2009...both pre-cruise. Had a good time...ate some very good street food...and got my wife's picture with a couple of pirates who tried to kidnap her. It was a good time, and we'll be there again for it this december. Mention street food...and I'm in!!!:)

We are doing two days pre-cruise as well as one day after the cruise...as our flight is not until 9pm! We have rental car for a week, which we got a screaming deal for and is only going to cost us about $150 more than if we took transportation to and from IAH to Galveston. We will be there for Dickens on the Strand so that will be fun.

We've lived down here for 32 years and 40 miles from Galveston and I've never been to Dickens on the Strand. I think that this year we'll go. I would love to see it. Seems we've always been too busy that time of year.

If you cruise out of Galveston, see if you can fly into Hobby Airport (in South Houston) versus IAH (North Houston). Hobby is a smaller airport but a shorter drive to Galveston about 20 miles or so. NASA Johnson Space Center is located in that area & is a great place to visit. We lived on Galveston Island for a while & when we did we visited so many fun places. On Pier 21 (by the cruise ships) there is a Dolphin Tour which is a small boat that takes you out into the bay looking at dolphins. We loved to do that & it was really cheap around $5 per person or so. The historic sites mentioned were great too! Also there is Moody Gardens on the island & that is a blast. Hotels on the island are pricey, so when we go back to visit we tend to stay on the mainland where you can find hotels for much less. Hope you enjoy your visit!

Galveston is not your typical ocean resort town. It has a very "funky" vibe. There are many places to go that just seem to "fit" in Galveston that would not anywhere else. The people are very friendly and accommadating. We love to go for the weekend and just veg. It is not "flashy" but kind of "new age" and definately different. It works for us, but we are just old hippies anyway!!!

Galveston is not your typical ocean resort town. It has a very "funky" vibe. There are many places to go that just seem to "fit" in Galveston that would not anywhere else. The people are very friendly and accommadating. We love to go for the weekend and just veg. It is not "flashy" but kind of "new age" and definately different. It works for us, but we are just old hippies anyway!!!

Nothing wrong with being an old hippie!!!:)

Archived