NCL Epic 14 apr 2012 Transatlantic MIA-BCN

jeroenn27

Craig, the 4 of us are from Atlanta also and will be spending time in Barcelona and Sitges. Hope to see you on board, if not sooner.

David,

Looking forward to meeting up with your gang. I sailed from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale on the RCI Liberty of the Seas last November and there were also four guys from Atlanta. Should be a great crossing from the way things are shaping up!

Hey guys,

Getting excited for the trip and about ready to book a few reservations. Last trip on the Epic I skipped the steakhouse, french bistro and italian restaurant. Pretty sure I will book the Cirque show again as well as the Churrascaria at least... as well as the spa access package when I get on board.

Definitely looking forward to the friends of Dorothy gatherings. As I remember they were always timed either 7:30 or 8pm so I will try to make any reservations around that.

Still can't decide on definite Barcelona plans. My parents will be with us so seeing the city either by private or public tour bus is probably going to be much nicer than by subway... but that's as far as I've gotten. Looking for any suggestions on areas to stay and "must see" things to do for 1.5 days in Barcelona.

Thanks,

Marc

Hey guys,

cut cut cut

Still can't decide on definite Barcelona plans. My parents will be with us so seeing the city either by private or public tour bus is probably going to be much nicer than by subway... but that's as far as I've gotten. Looking for any suggestions on areas to stay and "must see" things to do for 1.5 days in Barcelona.

Thanks,

Marc

I have been considering a "Segway Glide" tour in Barcelona. I have always wanted to try riding a Segway. It looks like a lot of fun, saves the legs and feet for some serious street hiking later, and they get great rave reviews on Tripadvisor.

I have been considering a "Segway Glide" tour in Barcelona. I have always wanted to try riding a Segway. It looks like a lot of fun, saves the legs and feet for some serious street hiking later, and they get great rave reviews on Tripadvisor.

Segway tours are usually a lot of fun... especially if you have a great guide and avoid high traffic areas. The stop/go and maneuvering the segway can be more trouble and less fun in high traffic/crowded spaces... but overall I had a lot of fun riding them.

Today I am looking for a decent hotel in a good area to spend 2 nights and sight see around Barcelona. Probably gonna end up near Las Ramblas if possible and on a Hop On/Off tour bus to satisfy the parents. May hit a couple night life hotspots in the evening.

Finished reserving a few things onboard... Brazilian steakhouse, Japanese steakhouse and 2 entertainment options... think we will wing the rest of it. Definitely booking the spa access for the trip on Day 1 and looking forward to this trip being more of a nice retreat for ourselves.

Who is on board? Just booked a studio. 2nd time on the Epic for me. Curious or other guys are going!

Also booked second time for this cruise last year we had alot of guys !!! Many single some not as single as they said but it was a great time. The two cruise directors made special arrangements for us because the group was so big. Passengers hired a cirque dancer to stip for us in a private room was a bit much but whatever. Cant remember if the agua spa was great or not (been on too many cruisees since) But the whole cruise was a blast!!!! any body else repeating?? Al

Also booked second time for this cruise last year we had alot of guys !!! Many single some not as single as they said but it was a great time. The two cruise directors made special arrangements for us because the group was so big. Passengers hired a cirque dancer to stip for us in a private room was a bit much but whatever. Cant remember if the agua spa was great or not (been on too many cruisees since) But the whole cruise was a blast!!!! any body else repeating?? Al

Looking Soooo fwd to the sailing date. I did the weekly spa package on the last Epic cruise and was money very well spent. I thought the gym and spa were fantastic. Glad to know you've done this one before, enjoyed it so much and had a nice LGTB group. October cruise there were 20 or so guys and we hung out a lot onboard for the last 3-4 days when not in port. Still keep in touch with them a lot so we are looking fwd to making a new group of friends soon.

Just wanted to let readers know that there is a 4 hr Barcelona city tour available when we arrive Barcelona. It will drop us at our respective hotels with our luggage at finish and appears to have good reviews. Just thought I would let folks know. Just go to www.BarcelonaDayTours.com and refer to April 25th Epic City Tour from port. Maybe meet you on board soon.

Mark in Washington State

It is encouraging to see so many people on the Epic that have sailed on her before. With so many choices out there the Epic must be a special ship to have so many repeat cruisers.

I have also been wondering how to pack for the cruise. Anything I have found on the net suggests transatlantic weather in the springtime can vary drastically, from freezing cold and stormy to warm and nearly tropical. I normally tend to overpack, but this time I have serious luggage weight restrictions on my return flight and must show restraint. :mad:

Caddiemaw: I looked up your cabin on the deck plan. It looks like an amazing cabin. So far on the G&L thread there has been no discussion of a cabin crawl, but the general Epic roll call has a sign up for a cabin crawl, and I am sure they would love to add you to their list. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1325636

I was planning on a few cardigans and a pair of jeans (just in case) but am hoping for tropical temps. We were originally in a spa minisuite but recently upgraded to celebrate my sister's retirement. I will post on the cabin crawl link. Thanks.

Me and my partner we will be on Epic from MIA to BCN and celebrate my b-day.What a great present ! Hope Dorothy's friends meetings will be more popular than the ones on Jade in Feb.

See you all on board !

It now looks as though I will be making it to Miami in time to do this cruise because for awhile it looked as though I may not. I was due to fly from Heathrow to Miami via Madrid with Iberia but then one of Iberia's pilots' unions announced strikes every Monday and Friday from April 9th to the end of July! Yesterday I went to Iberia's website and saw the flight cancellation list for the 13th had been published and both my flights were cancelled. There was a UK number for Iberia to call to make alternative arrangements but because I had bought my flights using ‘AVIOS’ I had to phone a number in Madrid. I phoned this number from the UK and spoke to the most helpful lady by the name of Paula who spent most of the 40 minutes (yes 40 minutes to Madrid) apologising for the situation and the fact she was not allowed to call me back. The poor woman had so many problems finding alternative flights for me despite coming forward as far as the 9th. Cutting 40 minutes of phone call short, in the end she got permission from her superiors to book me onto a British Airways direct flight to Miami on the 12th with no additional expense to me! I have now booked the Hilton Miami Airport for the additional night, which cost me £110 for the one night but I can’t complain as that is significantly less than having to book another flight.

So see you all at the first FOD get together on the 14th aboard the Norwegian Epic:D

Nice to see you were able to work things out Dorothy Friend. You deserve to go on a cruise after going through that. :) My flight schedule has me getting into Miami on the 12th as well. I will be using that extra day to hit the outlet malls in Miami. Woohoo.

Welcome aboard Mikki72 and LeoNATO. Should be a great trip.

LeoNato: I have found the FOD meetings hit and miss. I was on the Majesty with a stop in Key West Florida, and on that cruise the FOD were so popular that NCL added more meetings through the week, and we had to use a bigger bar than originally planned.

Looks like we have enough people to secure our Barcelona city tour when we arrive with drop off at our hotels. Might still be room for others http://www.barcelonacitytours.com. Hurry up cruise, I'm so ready!

Hey Travelguy... I was hoping to book a sidecar tour but some in my group backed out... so my partner and I (and maybe mom/dad too) might be interested in your tour. Which tour did you choose and any other info inquire or prebook would be helpful. Feel free to reach me at marcgoohs at aol dot com.

Getting excited for a great, relaxing trip and meeting some new friends. Last time on the Epic in Oct we had at least 10-18 each night for FOD group. Also, the white party was a lot of fun to do together.

Booking the Spa Access package as soon as we get onboard. Definitely planning on a lot of spa time, relaxing and enjoying the thermal spas, quiet deck, etc. Seems a lot of the FOD group did the same which made it another great meeting place to hang out together.

BTW... Made a few reservations online for restaurants with the family... But wanted to extend my Entertainment bookings in case others wanted to hit Blue Man group together on Sunday April 15, 10pm show and The Second City on Sunday April 22, 9pm show.

We live in Tampa area and plan on renting a car one-way early Saturday morning to MIA airport and then cabbing it to the port.

See you all in 9 days :cool:

Hey Travelguy... I was hoping to book a sidecar tour but some in my group backed out... so my partner and I (and maybe mom/dad too) might be interested in your tour. Which tour did you choose and any other info inquire or prebook would be helpful. Feel free to reach me at marcgoohs at aol dot com.

Hi Marcgoohs. Just in case Travelguy doesn't see your posting I am quoting a posting he had made on the other G&L board for the cruise.

BARCELONA HIGHLIGHTS --- half day private tour

- Date: April 25, 2012

- Reservation name/code: Mark Garrett 0425

- Number of visitors in your party: 1 person

- Total number of visitors in the group: 4-12 persons

- Pick-up point: Barcelona Port

- Ship: Norwegian Epic

- Pick-up time: 8:30 am

- Drop-off location: Hotel Barcelona Universal

- Duration of tour: 4 hours

- Price: 59 Euros per person for a semi-private tour of 4-12 persons

They will pick us up with all our luggage and after the tour drop us at our individual hotels. Reviews for their service are very good so hope you will join our group.

With two G&L boards going for the same cruise I find I have been bouncing between the two boards, and it has been confusing trying to keep everyone straight. (pardon the pun)

I was trying to keep track of everyone and decided that I might as well make a list and share it, inspired by the general roll call for the sailing.

The list isn't final, and I can certainly add information to it such as precruise Miami hotels, post cruise Barcelona hotels, cabin numbers, port excursions, etc. Please let me know if you find this helpful, and if I need to add or change anything.

I saved the list in a PDF format and unfortunately I couldn't find a way to have it show on the posting without having to download the file. Anyone have any ideas? another thread on cruisecritic said to turn it into a jpg, which I tried and it didn't look right.

NCL Epic GL Roll Call 14 Apr 2012 Transatlantic - 05-04-2012.pdf

Archived