Group Booking Tips

Im starting the quest of the group booking for our wedding cruise celebration. We will be sailing on the oasis of the seas in December 1st 2012. I was wondering if anyone has any tips/advice for the group booking. We will prob have between 20-25+ people cruising with us.

(I don't know if you need this info but we will be getting Married in St. Thomas)

We have 84 coming on ours - my best advice would be to use a travel agent who is familiar with the cruise line and who has done group bookings before. Our TA is the mom of one of our groomsmen, and had limited knowledge of Carnival. She also had never done a group booking. There have been many MANY bumps and frustrations along the way and I feel as though I have been doing the bulk of the work. If I wasn't so organized and involved, it would have been a nightmare.

Otherwise I'd suggest not planning too many group activities so that people have their alone time. With a group the size of yours you probably won't have any issues but I'm sure the people coming on mine don't want to be hanging out in such large groups 24/7 during their vacation!

I also have been checking kayak.com daily from March until even now watching for seat sales, and text messaged & emailed everyone when a big one occured ($240 return from Seattle to Miami!). It helps decrease the financial burden for everyone.

We are using a TA also - and it has helped. It has minimized our "questions and concerns" from our guests and she was able to extend our booking time with the discounted rates. Once the booking window is closed, she can then apply any discounts that the cruise line will give you towards your wedding and/or guests. Its better to get a group booking than not...more rewards! :O)

I booked NCL and used a personal cruise consultant, it work out so well for me because I was not being asked all of the information. I even put his contact information on the save the dates so they could contact him about pricing, availability etc.

Also I would encourage you to create a wedding website (many free sites out there) or even a facebook group. It really helped us in making sure everyone was on the same page. People were free to ask questions and we could see what events most peple wanted to do as well as share excursions anyone had planned. Also we printed an list of the different events on board and on the back was a room list so people could get a hold of one another.

Happy Planning!

Firstly congratulations- Im getting married in St Thomas too, 4 months after you!!

We've booked our cruise through a travel agent and currently have 7 guests booked with more to come. Me and my fiancee went to the TA ourselves (the same one we've booked our 2 previous cruises through) and got quotes for different cabins, flights etc (although the flights arent available to book until a year before). Once I had all of the information I put an info booklet together with the ship details, itinerary, cabin prices, whats included in the price, our wedding day ideas, and some excoursions for each port (except the ones in St Thomas as thats the wedding day haha).

Anyone who asked about our wedding plans Ive given this to and they've been really impressed- it gives everyone the info without pressuring them to book.

When we booked we all went in together and I thought it was unorganised and confusing with everyone giving in details and choosing cabins but the TA handled it perfectly and there were no problems or issues!! More people to book on and I would go in with them once they're ready.

One tip is not to book everyone on yourself as you're then responsible for paying the balance! By all means go with them and ensure the TA knows its part of your wedding party but ensure you're not responsible!

Archived