Mexican Independence Day - Sept 16

Delwine

Here's a post that I put on my Oceania Roll Call forum. However, I have gotten no response and am throwing out at large to anyone who's in the know:

"We will be in the port of Huatulco during the celebration of El Grito de Dolores on September 16, a big celebration in Mexico. Most of the drama of this day is celebrated the night before on Sep 15 with parties, fireworks, etc. However, it's my understanding that on the holiday, the shops close, and there is a lot of music, dancing and more parties.

Has anyone ever been in Mexico, or even more specifically, Huatulco, on this day? I'd like advice on whether to plan an excursion, i.e., snorkeling, boating, or just enjoy the local festivities around the port or La Crucecita."

Greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Here's a post that I put on my Oceania Roll Call forum. However, I have gotten no response and am throwing out at large to anyone who's in the know:

"We will be in the port of Huatulco during the celebration of El Grito de Dolores on September 16, a big celebration in Mexico. Most of the drama of this day is celebrated the night before on Sep 15 with parties, fireworks, etc. However, it's my understanding that on the holiday, the shops close, and there is a lot of music, dancing and more parties.

Has anyone ever been in Mexico, or even more specifically, Huatulco, on this day? I'd like advice on whether to plan an excursion, i.e., snorkeling, boating, or just enjoy the local festivities around the port or La Crucecita."

I do not know the answer first hand...but...I'll suggest that, maybe even better than this board, you should try asking on the "Mexican Riviera" Port of Call board...

Here's a thread that might be of interest:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1416744&highlight=independence+day

Here is a thread from 2004 regarding Independence day in Puerto Vallarta:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=78012&highlight=september+16

But...I would go to that board and pose the question there--more likely to attract the attention of frequent Mexican Riviera cruisers and of local residents...

Sept. 16 is a legal holiday in Mexico. All state, city offices, schools and banks will be closed. Resort communities shops stay open as do restaurants. You should be able to book a tour, excursion with no problem. This holiday is a festive one and you will enjoy being a party of the festivities.

Archived