London City Airport to Southampton.... with a dog

MeiLoandSquirrel

Hi all, so I know the question regarding "the best way to get to Southampton" has been posted more than it's share of times, but I need some local advice. I am an expat living in Ireland and returning home to the U.S. with the family and a dog. We will be leaving on the Queen Mary 2 on a Monday afternoon. I have booked my wife and our son directly into Southampton, but could only fly with our dog into London City Airport.

I know everyone has an opinion regarding which airports to use, but the fact of the matter is that I had no other option than to fly into LCY and will arrive sometime around 9am on the crossover departure day. I would like to get to Southampton as quickly as possible and it seems that the train is the best option (open to suggestions).

I am very familiar with London and on any normal day would not hesitate to do the journey via the DLR to Canning Town Underground, taking the tube to Waterloo to then catch the train (scoring a Megatrain ticket) to Southampton.... but is this the best option with a dog? I'm not really wanting to spend to much on the journey so a transfer to Southampton really isn't what I am looking for. The dog is small and will be in a dog carry bag (basically a gym bag for dogs)

Would I do better taking a taxi to Waterloo?? And If I take a taxi to Waterloo, would it not be best to just buy a train fare from LCY to Southampton??

Please advise (preferable locals only)

Hello!

I live in central London, use public transport a lot, fly in and out of LCY a lot too...

Whilst I have not seen someone with a dog in a carrier on that specific combination of trains (of which I often do, and continue on the Jubilee to Baker Street), I would go for it. I presume that you will not also have a mountain of luggage?

If you arrive at 09:00, by the time you collect stuff, get out to the DLR and on to the Jubilee Line, the mass of rush hour will be over and would think it would be rather comfortable.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Hi all, so I know the question regarding "the best way to get to Southampton" has been posted more than it's share of times, but I need some local advice. I am an expat living in Ireland and returning home to the U.S. with the family and a dog. We will be leaving on the Queen Mary 2 on a Monday afternoon. I have booked my wife and our son directly into Southampton, but could only fly with our dog into London City Airport.

I know everyone has an opinion regarding which airports to use, but the fact of the matter is that I had no other option than to fly into LCY and will arrive sometime around 9am on the crossover departure day. I would like to get to Southampton as quickly as possible and it seems that the train is the best option (open to suggestions).

I am very familiar with London and on any normal day would not hesitate to do the journey via the DLR to Canning Town Underground, taking the tube to Waterloo to then catch the train (scoring a Megatrain ticket) to Southampton.... but is this the best option with a dog? I'm not really wanting to spend to much on the journey so a transfer to Southampton really isn't what I am looking for. The dog is small and will be in a dog carry bag (basically a gym bag for dogs)

Would I do better taking a taxi to Waterloo?? And If I take a taxi to Waterloo, would it not be best to just buy a train fare from LCY to Southampton??

Please advise (preferable locals only)

No contest here, just do what is in your opinion most comfortable and indeed less stressful for your dog....whatever the cost. You have the choice, your dog doesn't.

Best

Judy

Hello!

I live in central London, use public transport a lot, fly in and out of LCY a lot too...

Whilst I have not seen someone with a dog in a carrier on that specific combination of trains (of which I often do, and continue on the Jubilee to Baker Street), I would go for it. I presume that you will not also have a mountain of luggage?

If you arrive at 09:00, by the time you collect stuff, get out to the DLR and on to the Jubilee Line, the mass of rush hour will be over and would think it would be rather comfortable.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

No worries on the luggage LOL. I will have one lightweight rolling bag and the dog bag which is designed to ride on top of the suitcase which our little one is quite happy to do. (and it never leaves my hand to prevent a tumble with the pup.... figured I'd throw that in before all the dog lovers attack LOL)

No contest here, just do what is in your opinion most comfortable and indeed less stressful for your dog....whatever the cost. You have the choice, your dog doesn't.

Best

Judy

Thanks Judy!! I just keep thinking that the absolute quickest is the best for her! To be honest this whole mess is all for her lol. We could have easily flown back tot he states and shipped her, but when we heard about the QM2 and the kennels we just couldn't resist ;)

I have asked my dog.

He suggests a transfer in a Cayenne Turbo.

I apologise for his arrogance.

But I do think that a car transfer is the best one for the dog. But it doesn't need to be a Porsche.

WD

LOL!!:D But is the train not a quicker option than a transfer??:confused:

Archived