Nassau FleaMarket

wwwaters

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure which is the new building. Just got back from Nassua. the straw market was next to Senior Frogs in sort of a warehouse looking building. The isles were narrow & nothing was marked. didn't stay that long because I just wasn't in the mood to haggle over prices without knowing a basic start range.

I will say that I heard a number of people talking about their straw market experiences on the ship the next day.

One person said she bought a wood carving that when she looked at it more closely back on the ship, it had a crack in the wood in back. Another person said she went to buy earrings & realized that they were not a matched set (one of the shells was significantly larger than the other). Person selling tried to dismiss this but she held her ground.

Another guy bought some shells that you blow in only the ones they tried to pawn off on him didn't work. So beware. Seems like the front guy has the quality merchandise & the ones they pack up for you might not be of equal value.

Another man said he specifically asked if something he was looking at was made in the Bahamas. He was told vehemently yes, but then as he was looking over the piece he saw a "made in china" sticker.

Last we talked to a guy that accepted the "free necklace" that they try to give you & then had the kid telling him he needed to give him a $20 donation. They ended up haggling & he got the necklace for $5. He said he didn't really want the thing in the first place.

So I don't know if this is considered the new building or not, but beware when shopping. I'm sure deals can be found but look things over carefully.

Is the Straw Market the only place to buy souvenirs near the port? I have a couple of 19 yr olds that will probably want to pick up a few things and the straw market experience sounds like a real PITA!

Thanks!

Well, if memory serves there's a large t-shirt and souvenir shop on Woodes Rogers Walk that you might consider...ScubaGirrl can correct me on this if I'm wrong, or can give the name of it...but it's right close to the docks...and of course, there's Festival Place itself, which might have a few things of interest...

Is the Straw Market the only place to buy souvenirs near the port? I have a couple of 19 yr olds that will probably want to pick up a few things and the straw market experience sounds like a real PITA!

Thanks!

Well, if memory serves there's a large t-shirt and souvenir shop on Woodes Rogers Walk that you might consider...ScubaGirrl can correct me on this if I'm wrong, or can give the name of it...but it's right close to the docks...and of course, there's Festival Place itself, which might have a few things of interest...

Thanks Capn!

The new straw market building downtown is scheduled to be completed in the late Fall of 2011, but no guarantees.

In the meantime, they are in that ultra hot tented building which is sweltering in the summer. I don't know how the women who work there can stand the heat.

Browse around carefully before you make any decisions to purchase. Some of the items are better qualtity than others and don't give into the pressure to buy immediately. The vendors expect you to bargain so give it a shot.

They do have some very pretty and unique straw handbags, totes and baskets.

I have some hand made straw baskets I use for serving bread/rolls which I purchased several years ago and they are still in very good condition.

• 2 weeks later...

As of 2 weeks ago, My cousin was there and said the new building seemed done, but they are still in the tent.

We will be there in 3 weeks, and really doubt they will have moved by then.

But it would be nice if they were.

Thanks!

No!! There are several shops in the port building that you will exit & enter. Good prices, too.

Archived