Can I leave teenagers onboard?

Leviosa

Hi, first timer so still getting my head around all of this.

Am off on my first cruise in 4 weeks - planning trips out etc - we are planning on doing most of them DIY but there is one that my husband and I fancy but our boys don't.

So my question is - what are the ship regulations about leaving teenagers onboard alone? They are 16 1/2 and 14 1/2

Thanks

Hi, first timer so still getting my head around all of this.

Am off on my first cruise in 4 weeks - planning trips out etc - we are planning on doing most of them DIY but there is one that my husband and I fancy but our boys don't.

So my question is - what are the ship regulations about leaving teenagers onboard alone? They are 16 1/2 and 14 1/2

Thanks

I (eventually!) found this on the P&O website https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/on-shore/leave_children

We ask parents and guardians to note that children under 16 must not be left unaccompanied on the ship whilst the ship is in port. There is no facility offered on board to look after your children if you go ashore.

Not having been with kids on board a ship, I don't know how this is enforced.

you may also be interested to know

When is my child classed as an adult on a shore excursion?

Child prices are applicable to children aged 3 to 12 inclusively. There may be some exceptions to this and if so, this will be advised in the shore excursion description.

Children under the age of three are carried free of charge, providing they do not take up a seat. If this is the case you do not need reserve a space for them, please advise the Tours Desk on board that you will be taking an infant(s) on the tour with you.

All minors (those under 18) must be accompanied by an adult on all shore excursions.

(https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/on-shore/adultage_shorex)

hope that is some help

Karen

Thanks for that Karen,

I had seen the one about the trips - lol typical double standards with kids ages and when they are classed as adults. Can charge them adult prices for trips but not class them as adults to leave them alone.

Sooo I can leave the 16 year old but not the sensible mature younger brother who has the common sense the eldest one doesn't. Looks like they will be dragge don the trip then unless me and grandma go and they can have some boy time with their dad.

Thanks again

It is for their protection. What if one of the adults on the trip was taken ill, had a fall or something which meant they had to go to hospital.... leaving the boys on their own for the rest of the cruise? Unlikely I know but these things do happen. It seems you have several adults in your party but the rules are there for everyone.

(And yes I do know some of the American cruise lines allow it, which has always seemed a bit odd to me.)

We have had to pay adult prices for our 13 yr old's excursions too, slightly annoying...!

In practice it isn't policed at all so yes, you can leave your teenagers onboard and leave the ship and nobody will stop you. They may well be very unhappy if your teenagers cause any trouble when you're not onboard and they can't find you but what are the chances of that happening?

Mine are older now but a couple of years ago P&O allowed my 15 year old and some friends (of the same age) to leave the ship on their own. Allow they were only shopping in the cruise terminal and I didn't have a problem with that at all I was a bit surprised they were allowed off on their own. No idea if this is standard policy or whether someone made a mistake - I don't know what the minimum age is for going ashore on your own. I do know that my 17 year old and friends the same year were allowed to come and go as they pleased throughout the cruise and my 15 year old was allowed to go off the ship with him on a number of occasions.

I would have thought that you could leave the 14 year old with the 16 year old if you can trust them both. It does not say what age of adult needs to supervise children. Just my opinion. All depends how mature your teenagers are.

P&O state

"We ask parents and guardians to note that children under 16 must not be left unaccompanied on the ship whilst the ship is in port. There is no facility offered on board to look after your children if you go ashore."

Therefore following the rules you can leave your 16 year old on the ship, your 16 year old would be technically responsible for your 14 year old. As the 16 year old is classed as an adult there should be no problems.

In reality provided your kids behave and don't draw attention to themselves while aboard no one will know or be bothered that you are ashore. :)

"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."

It might also have something to do with insurance, lets face it they must have rules to refer to, so the risk is yours.

I'm glad you brought this up as I have a trip booked for three teenagers who I am satisfied will be safe - it is a rafting thing - as they are all well versed in boating activities. It now looks as if I am going to have to fork out £60 and go along with them.

The reality is they will be looking after me rather than the other way around, clambering in and out of a rubber dinghy!

Hi Leviosa,

As you know, we are on the same cruise and I also have 14 and 16-year-olds. My two would rather not get off the ship AT ALL:rolleyes: So I've only actually dared to book one excursion for La Rochelle (Beach break) as it's about the only thing they will quite enjoy!

Anyway, the rest of the time I'm planning to either not get off, ie, Guernsey and Brest, or just get off for an hour or two, ie, Bilbao and La Coruna.

Like you, I personally wouldn't have a problem leaving my two on the ship whilst I get off. We were on IOS last year and I left my daughter, who was only 13 at the time, on the ship for a few hours as she was severely sunburnt. When we returned, she was happily sitting on a computer Facebooking and racking up a big internet bill:(:rolleyes:.

I agree with Rosebaskets, technically, you could probably leave your 14-year-old under the care of his older brother. If I'm staying on board that particular day, I don't mind acting as temporary guardian whilst you are on your excursion.

hahah you clearly don't know my children - When he was astill at school I used to give the 16 year old's dinner money, notes for the office, basically anything with any responsibility to the 14 year old as I knew it would be sorted that way!

Evelyn that's very sweet of you to offer thanks very much.

Not really sure what we're planning yet - was just wondering and weighing my options up. Think we will probably get the shuttle bus and go and explore -possibly do a tour when in Brest.

I need to start sorting holiday stuff out but I don't know wehn - last couple of weeks of term are mad busy and then I am on a week's summer school - got 5 days to wash and pack and decide what we're doing when I get back. Help! I need J and Rob'sguide to the week to check out what I need and what to do!

Well if you get stuck, give us a shout!

You can't miss us - my kids have got reddish/auburn hair and are called Dan (16) and Katie (14). They are planning on going to the first 'teen meet and greet' session, so tell your boys to look out for them:)

Couple of years ago, we returned to Grand Princess in Monaco at lunchtime and my 11 year old daughter didnt want to come back out.

She went up to the childrens club and we left the ship. What we failed to remember is that you had to book children in 24 hours in advance and they refused her entry.

She met another friend whose parents had done the same and spend the afternoon on the ship/in the cabin etc... safe but obviously as a parent we should have checked she got in etc etc ect.. bad parents!!

the only good thing, looking back, is I guess we could be pretty sure that she would not try and get off the ship and I would expect ship security to notice she was on her own (albeit its fully not their responsibility).

However, luckily no harm came of the episode but I guess you have to remember that there are all sorts of people in life and cruise ships arent exempt from them

Archived