Champagne Reef Snorkeling - Dominica??

texkan

We have been there a few times. The first time was part of a ship tour that was a whale watch and snorkel, it was really nice to get out of a boat to snorkel here as the entry is a bit rough. The second time we did it as part of an island tour with levi (bumping tours? - I think). The beach is rocky and you have to be careful getting in but we really enjoyed the snorkeling there. There are the bubbles (kind of like snorkeling in a champagne glass) close to shore and stuff to see and then a bit out from shore is the more reef like area. It was very easy snorkeling and lots to see.

We have been there a few times. The first time was part of a ship tour that was a whale watch and snorkel, it was really nice to get out of a boat to snorkel here as the entry is a bit rough. The second time we did it as part of an island tour with levi (bumping tours? - I think). The beach is rocky and you have to be careful getting in but we really enjoyed the snorkeling there. There are the bubbles (kind of like snorkeling in a champagne glass) close to shore and stuff to see and then a bit out from shore is the more reef like area. It was very easy snorkeling and lots to see.

Please give me more info on the snorkel from boat. You said it was a bit rough (from boat or from rocky shore)?

Sorry that I wasn't clear. It is rough getting in from the rocky shore. It was really nice getting in from the boat, but I wouldn't recommend the boat tour we took, it was expensive and we didn't see any whales. I think that getting in from shore is fine, just be prepared to take it slow or if you have some kind of booties or water shoes that would be great (but I never know what to do with those after you put on your fins - I guess people have ones that fit in their fins).

Hopefully that is more clear, but feel free to ask more questions.

The pictures are from snorkeling only. I have never learned how to dive. The divers in the pictures are just people that went under us. We actually got there as part of the levi (bumpiing tours) island tour. We did a few stops, it was a great day, I would highly recommend him to anyone. Champagne wasn't that far from the ship though, so I'm guessing you could get a cab there pretty easy (??? I'm not sure on that though). It wasn't walking distance but I'm guessing it was about 20 minutes or less from the ship by car.

we snorkeled from shore with Levi Bumpiing. With water shoes the rocks aren't really a problem. He gives you as much time as you like, he gets in the water with you to show you things. Some people didn't snorkel and sat on the larger rocks on shore, but there really isn't a place to lay a towel and lay down. It was part of a great trip with him all day.

• 2 weeks later...
Any info and thoughts on Champagne Beach and Reef Snorkeling would be helpful.

I've done tons of snorkel excursions and this is my favorite!!! How many times can you say you've snorkeled over an active volcano...it is awesome!!! I've gone on this excursion twice cruising with Princess...HIGHLY recommend it!!!

i wouldn't go with anyone but levi-best day ever off a cruise ship bar none....i am mobility challenged and he and his guys treated me like their own grandmother. swam in the gorge from pirates of the c 2. the bubbles were very cool and while it's not hawaii it was a lovely snorkel.

I was there about a year ago and it was great. We went there on the Levi Bumpiing tours. The beach isn't really a beach because it is just a bunch of rocks, but under the water is great! It is also neat to see all of the bubbles floating up there!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Any info and thoughts on Champagne Beach and Reef Snorkeling would be helpful.

It all will depend on conditions the day you get there. Dec. 2010 it was too rough to enjoy.

Definitely need shoes for the rocks.

What to do with your beach/coral shoes after getting your fins on? I take a bungie cord that fits around my waist. I tuck my shoes under the elastic cord....select where it will be most comfortable for you to tuck the shoe in....I put one on each side of my back. It's great when you get in the water at one point and out at another....no worry about coral, rocks, shells, etc.

When we went there in Dec 2010 we took a boatride arranged by the ship. We had our kids with us (10 and 11 at the time) and it was a really easy trip. We scuba dive too, but I would not do that here, it is so shallow you can just freedive down. We had guides with us that showed us fish and let us feel the very warm water that comes out with the "champagne bubbles".

We saw people going from the shore into the water, but that is usually more difficult I feel when it is a little wavy.

I can recoomend going there!!:)

• 5 weeks later...

We took the Princess Champagne Reef snorkel excursion in March and really enjoyed it. The boat ride gives you a nice coastal view and if your really lucky - some dolphin action as well. There were several of the crew in the water with us to make sure all was well, with one providing commentary about the various critters we were seeing. When seeing some people making their way from the shore we were glad to have taken the boat because access was much simpler, with no wave action/lava rock to contend with. It also provided us with much faster access to the snorkel site so we were able to spend more time in the water. I'd happily do this trip again! The one real danger is that you'll have such an amazing time here and at some of the other beautiful Caribbean sites that you'll want to proceed with SCUBA certification. Really - it happened to us! ;)

Archived