get to Ambergris Caye from Belize City/TV

theampres

We're taking the Carnival Dream in December, and we'd like to shoot over to Ambergris Caye. Definitely want to fly rather than take the boat. We've taken enough cruises now that we usually like to "do our own thing." We were looking at TropicAir for a flight over, but we like the idea of using a tour company, since it seems more likely that they'll be able to work around things like changes in ship's schedule, port cancellation, etc., vice buying airline tickets, which we assume would be non-refundable. Not so much interested in doing a snorkeling trip though, we've already snorkeled the whole Caribbean and would really just like a chill day exploring some beach front bars and shops, and drinking a little too much beer and rum, while leaving the driving (and flying) to someone else. Anyone have any recommendations besides Ecotoursbelize?

This is the one we're looking at for next June:

https://secure.shoretrips.com/common/search4.asp?tcode=022316

We are looking at booking the Fly and Dive but I am a little nervous about the times to try for.... There are several options (8:45 and 9:45) but I'm hesitant because if the ship gets into port behind schedule or we have a hard time being one of the first people off the ship then we might run into an issue. Anyone experience this?

We are looking at booking the Fly and Dive but I am a little nervous about the times to try for.... There are several options (8:45 and 9:45) but I'm hesitant because if the ship gets into port behind schedule or we have a hard time being one of the first people off the ship then we might run into an issue. Anyone experience this?

That's why we booked with Ecotoursbelize. Just in case one of these problems arose. They offer a fly and dive package. We are both divers but we wanted to be able to check out Ambergris so we snorkeled to give us more time in San Pedro.

The Ecotoursbelize person explained that there are flights to San Pedro every 30 minutes or so. You don't necessarily have to be on the exact flight you booked. So if the ship is a little late getting in. No worries.

We actually experienced this when staying OI (on island) for a week last Sept. A tropical storm chased us off a day early. Changed our flight (no fee), arrived at the airport a little early and got directly on the flight leaving. Our flight wasn't scheduled to leave for an hour.

Have fun!!!

A package might be better for cruise pasengers. If you book your self. Make sure to book from the Belize airstrip (TZA) and not the Airport (BZE).

Also for both airlines flights are scheduled every hour...They may have to send more than one plane. That might cause a plane to depart early if it is full due to people checking in early.

• 2 weeks later...
We're actually going to be there next June, cruising on the Carnival Liberty. We'll be in Belize for 9 hours, so since it's only a 6.5 hr. tour we think we'll be safe on time! It's only a 15 minute flight from Belize City to Ambergris, & we plan to rent a golf cart when we get there to explore the island. I think we'll be able to see about everything in 6 hours! :)

You will be able to see everything in in 6 hours as far as San Pedro. I was there 4 years ago though and the bridge going north to the newer resorts wasn't complete. Maybe it is now. Can somone let me know?

Wait till you fly in to the airport. Very quiant and a dirt runway, baggage claim on the grass. Don't worry, I felt completly safe.

You will be able to see everything in in 6 hours as far as San Pedro. I was there 4 years ago though and the bridge going north to the newer resorts wasn't complete. Maybe it is now. Can somone let me know?

Wait till you fly in to the airport. Very quiant and a dirt runway, baggage claim on the grass. Don't worry, I felt completly safe.

Four years is a lot of time for San Pedro. Much has changed...

Yes the bridge is done. No dirt runways and a state of the art terminal for Tropic..

2499914550100107089S500x500Q85.jpg

Xmas 2010

More picture here...

http://travel.webshots.com/album/575988960FWpzxI?vhost=travel

Archived