alcohol on fred olsen

yes there are formal nights,we are shortly going on a 12 night Baltic cruise and there are 3 formal nights. From past experience most people do dress up on those nights. Unlike pando I do not think Fred likes/lets you take drinks on board. I may be wrong on that . however the prices via the room stewart are so reasonable why bother. People have said about putting wine boxes in the suitcase, but having seen how they are dealt with I would not like to think of a wine box splitting in the case. red total utter disaster, white -well i guess you would be the one with a certain aroma around you !!!!!

hi,

does anyone know if we can take wine and drinks on boaaard fred olsens cruise. Also what is the dress code? Are there any formal nights

x

we were on boudicca last year, anyone taking wine on board had to give it to security and it was retuned at end ofcruise.

We were on a 14 nights canary islands and if i remember correctly there was 3 formal nights,informal nights and 3 theme nights.

Hope this helps.

As long as me and my wife can buy a tea and coffee through the day and lager on a night, i'm sure we can do without stashing booze in our cases. :D

You don't need to buy tea and coffee - it is freely available all day at various locations throughout the ship as well as your cabin. You do pay, however, for speciality coffees such as cappacinos etc,.:D

No, you should not take it on board unless you are willing to surrender it to security and collect it at the end of the cruise.

As far as dress code is concerned it's best to work on two formal nights each week, casual the first and last nights, informal most nights with a few "theme" nights.

The actual dress programme will be sent with your tickets.

You will find that there is a reasonable selection of wines and prices are very reasonable and other drinks are similar to pub prices in the UK.

My favourite wine is Faustino Rioja, do you know if they sell that, all other cruise lines I have used don't and I take my own and get charged a corkage fee, is thei something Fred Olsen does or not?

My favourite wine is Faustino Rioja, do you know if they sell that, all other cruise lines I have used don't and I take my own and get charged a corkage fee, is thei something Fred Olsen does or not?

I'm booked to sail with Fred at the end of the month. Their A-Z Guide states:

"Only alcohol purchased on our vessel may be consumed on board. Any alcohol brought from ashore will be placed in safe keeping...and returned at the end of the cruise."

I guess they won't allow you to drink you own wine even with a corkage fee.

Fred has a very good wine list - which you can read online on the Fred Olsen page. The prices are reasonable - and they will look after your bottles if you don't want to finish them on the evening. You can have a couple of bottles on the go to drink with different courses.

Balmoral does a very good Malbec which would be a good alternative to your Faustino Rioja if you can't find anything else on the list that appeals.

We enjoy trying different wines whilst onboard - and have made some good discoveries.

Fred has a very good wine list - which you can read online on the Fred Olsen page. The prices are reasonable - and they will look after your bottles if you don't want to finish them on the evening. You can have a couple of bottles on the go to drink with different courses.

Balmoral does a very good Malbec which would be a good alternative to your Faustino Rioja if you can't find anything else on the list that appeals.

We enjoy trying different wines whilst onboard - and have made some good discoveries.

Thanks for the tip on the Malbec, I will certainly give that a try. We are on Blackwatch next April, Peru to Southampton

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the tip on the Malbec, I will certainly give that a try. We are on Blackwatch next April, Peru to Southampton

Fred definatetly do have a Rijoca, I had a few bottles on my last cruise although I don't remember which one is was, they also do a nice Merlot:)

Archived