CRAFT BEER LOVERS - How do we get NCL to stock our beers?

rikatine

She visits from time to time and complains bitterly about the border controls amongst other things. I get the impression that visitors are generally tolerated rather than welcomed by the powers-that-be

You just need to come here illegally then you'll be welcomed with open arms, given welfare, food stamps, a place to live, electricity, heat, free health care.........:rolleyes:

One thing you must remember is the cruise lines are going to market beers based on their bottom line. DH and I have always said ads are ways of brainwashing people to a certain product, thus the popularity of Bud, Coors, etc. You see an ad enough and their jingle sticks in your head like krazy glue as much as you don't want it to.

As someone who over the years has come to enjoy all the wine offerings out there, my favorite winery is Hazlitt up in the finger lakes. I barely see NY wines in our liquor stores here much less expecting a cruise line to carry any.

What I hope for all you beer lovers is that NCL's public relations folks are reading the posts. You all seem to be open to trying crafted beers, not any one particular brand. It would be nice if they would bring on at each specific embarkation point a crafted beer from the surrounding areas. Like one poster said Brooklyn. That would work as well as brewers from surrounding states. Keep these beers at one specific bar (like with the Jewel in Maltings).

Personally something like this would be a win-win for both sides. You beer lovers get to tantalize your taste buds with new flavors, the cruise lines don't have to order a huge case count that they need to find room for and they're going to increase their bar revenue. People like yourselves who will not spend your hard earned dollars on the beer on board are a market the cruise lines are missing right now. They wound up with fosters, boddingtons, bass, etc. because somewhere along the line a lot of people wanted it. My goodness when we sailed the Crown Princess in 2007 they were in an area where Coors light sells like crazy and they didn't have it on on board. I can tell you they lost a lot of money on my husband. (yes, I know swill beer:D)

Just keep the posts coming, maybe someone at NCL is watching;)

You sum it up very nicely. Most of us don't even drink the beer on board, and would enjoy and BUY most any craft beer that was being offered, even if its not our favorite. Just to have an IPA or decent Pale Ale, much less a red, rye, stout etc.

Also, being able to bring a limited amount of our own favorites and like wine, pay a corkage fee.

Our bar bill on a cruise is so small it is laughable compared to what we would spend at a bar that has beer we can drink

Having craft beers on board also makes for the perfect beer tasting - -You try a little of this one and a little of that one. You find something you like and you'll be buying it your whole cruise. My SIL sat with me on one of my martini tastings. She's had that gastric bypass surgery so no way she could get past one martini. I let her sample from each of mine and she found one she really liked. She ordered it the whole cruise. NCL made money as a result of that tasting. Trickle down theory......... and not like our economy:eek:

Having craft beers on board also makes for the perfect beer tasting - -You try a little of this one and a little of that one. You find something you like and you'll be buying it your whole cruise. My SIL sat with me on one of my martini tastings. She's had that gastric bypass surgery so no way she could get past one martini. I let her sample from each of mine and she found one she really liked. She ordered it the whole cruise. NCL made money as a result of that tasting. Trickle down theory......... and not like our economy:eek:

We have not done the pub crawl because of this. A tasting clinic is an even better reason to carry the good stuff.

They're all trying to keep their fares in check despite rising costs of fuel, etc., so it's important to increase on board revenues. Here's one way and they can start it just a few craft beers at a time. NCL staff is very knowledgeable about cocktails, etc. Do a beer clinic. Education in how different beers are made and follow-up with a beer tasting. Do it on sea days. Make sure the CD announces it anytime they've got other announcements to make and advertise it in the dailies so past cruisers know it's something new.

Back in the day here beer was limited. I remember in the 60's my grandfather drank Shaefer (think I spelled wrong) beer. YUCK. Before that time period Ballantine, Pabst, Piels, Gennessee. Then in the 70's Miller was the popular beer in our area. Then Bud took over. Now a ton of Coors light drinkers. BUT-- the beer line is huge. Micro brews, old time beer makers like Yuengling in our area. Lots of choices. I love that beer is now being paired with food. While I don't care for Yuengling's ale I really enjoy their black and tan. There's so much to try out there.

Good luck beer lovers. I hope NCL is listening

I don't know if anyone else did this, but I did email this thread, and one from last month in the Cruise Foodies forum to ncl pr, with a plea to read them and pass on to the head f&b director.

Thank you. Wonder if you will hear back. Let us know!

STONE? Did you say STONE?? Aaaah, their IPA...ooooh.... Now all of you are really getting me thirsty for good beer. Not only am I going to be a week on NCL without it but I live in Utah!!! Well, at least I won't have the same withdrawals symptoms as most of you upon boarding.

I live 10 miles from Stone. The food there is as good as the beer. :D:D:D

Stone_growler_parking-327x479.jpg

I live 10 miles from Stone. The food there is as good as the beer. :D:D:D

Stone_growler_parking-327x479.jpg

Omg I need one of those signs for my collection! This is the reason we have to do vacations besides cruising. Too many great beers to drink, not enough vacation time.

Omg I need one of those signs for my collection! This is the reason we have to do vacations besides cruising. Too many great beers to drink, not enough vacation time.

Next time I'm up there I'll see if they sell them in the gift shop. They don't sell them online

A beer vacation to San Diego would be cool. I'm spoiled living here, but here's a partial list of the breweries. Besides, you can also enjoy the weather & attractions if you sober up. :D

Stone

Ballast Point

Lost Abbey

Iron Fist

AleSmith

Mission

Coronado

etc.

http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=sandiego#

Next time I'm up there I'll see if they sell them in the gift shop. They don't sell them online

A beer vacation to San Diego would be cool. I'm spoiled living here, but here's a partial list of the breweries. Besides, you can also enjoy the weather & attractions if you sober up. :D

Stone

Ballast Point

Lost Abbey

Iron Fist

AleSmith

Mission

Coronado

etc.

http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=sandiego#

We have to get to San Diego, it is on our list of places we have to go. Friends of our go once a year. Our beer vacation was to Asheville NC this year. Portland OR last year. We do weekend trips here and there too.

Still look forward to our cruise this summer, just not with any good beer to drink.

• 4 months later...
How can we start an email campaign to let NCL know that there are more than just a few of us that would like to drink American Craft Beer on board.

I posted on another thread the proper way to register a suggestion or complaint to NCL. Reposted below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by wandrr viewpost.gif

I too am a beer aficionado and would absolutely love to have some different beers on board. Hopefully NCL reads these boards, but if they don't, all of us beer lovers need to take action. I suggest we simply call NCL and register a request. We should ask for some good beers, perhaps not specific brands, but some of the craft beers from home ports and ports of call. I would pay a premium for better beer. If NCL realizes that, they might improve their selection.

On the other hand, I bet they have some co-marketing agreement or large discount from the major beer brewers. Might be hard to break into that chummy relationship. Still, we have to try. I intend to call NCL. If enough of us do, maybe something will happen.

The NCL number is 1-866-234-7350.

As a follow-up, I did indeed call NCL. I was redirected to the Guest Relations part of the corporate office. The nice lady there listened sympathetically, and asked that I fax a complaint/request/suggestion to their office at 305-436-4108. She asked that I include a reservation number and a Latitudes number if possible. She said that a fax is the mechanism they use to route and consider such matters. My fax is on the way.

I suggest we bombard them with faxes and perhaps the situation will improve! We can continue to complain to ourselves on here, but the way to fix this is to fax NCL Guest Relations. :cool:

Endquote

I love a good beer and sure hope NCL does something about the thousands of faxes they will get!

Down with "making love in a rowboat" beer!;) BTW, if you have never heard that expression before, it means the beer is f***ing near water!:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Looky here what I saw!

This from a RCCL thread. This a beer list from a ship.

Duvel Belgian, Orval Belgian Ale, Dogfish Head IPA, Anchor Steam Lager, Hoegaarden Wheat, Magner's Irish Cider, Highland Oatmeal Porter, Fullers London Pride porter, Bellhaven Scottish Ale, Fuller's ESB, O'Hara's Irish Stout and more.

That is one list.

This list started the thread.

Chimney blue

Sam Adams imperial white

Sam Adams double bock

Red hook iPad

Leffe

New castle on draft

The chimney was a typo. Obviously, he meant Chimay Blue.

Hey NCL purchasers and marketers!!!! Are ya reading this!!!!?

Apparently it IS POSSIBLE to put a selection of non-swill beer on a ship.

They just go ahead and sell it.

BMC really cannot be bothered by the small breweries. remember, Samuel Adams is the largest American brewery and they have less than one percent of the American market. There would still be plenty of room for BMC swill on the ship.

That's an encouraging RCI list for sure, Lud! Plenty of Belgian goodness on there as well (although the Leffe isn't one of my favorites).

I just spent a bunch at my local beer barn, all of it on Belgian-types, including a yummy Goose Island Matilda that I didn't think got out west and a Pranqster and Brother Theloneous from North Coast

That's an encouraging RCI list for sure, Lud! Plenty of Belgian goodness on there as well (although the Leffe isn't one of my favorites).

I just spent a bunch at my local beer barn, all of it on Belgian-types, including a yummy Goose Island Matilda that I didn't think got out west and a Pranqster and Brother Theloneous from North Coast

Anything is step in a good direction when you're talking about NCL's beer list.

Scaldis and Scaldis Noel last night. Also a Goose Island Sofie.

Don't tell me they can't find buyers for this stuff on the ship.

Archived