Stop in Colon, Panama

l2f

We are considering a CCL cruise that stops in Colon, Panama. We have never been to this port. I know there are cruises that cruise the canal.

This may be a stupid question. I'm researching possible tours and don't want to confuse a tour meant for a canal cruise vs. just a stop at Colon. How does one know the difference when reviewing the threads?

There is really no difference in the tours offered for a stop in Colon or for those on a Canal transit cruise. The only difference would be in the logistics in transportation, ie. where they pick you up or drop off the order in which the tour is run, all of which would be invisable to you. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Some of the popular tours are to the Embera Village, tours to Panama City and the Casco Viejo, a partial transit of the Pacific Locks/ Gaillard Cut and a trip on the Panama Railroad.

Because you have the same question lots of folks have I've got a page about the tours with some pics of the most popular . . .

http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/cruising/canal-cruise/

You want to be aware that Colon is NOT a city to wander around. Take a tour, either with the ship or on your own. The embera tour with Anne Gordon [http://www.emberavillagetours.com] is great, as is the one with Captain Carl on Lake Gatun and out to have lunch on his houseboat. There is a lot to see and the problem is choosing which tour you want to do. "Which tour is best?" Depends on you and your areas of interest, which is why I did a whole chapter just on tours.

Regards, Richard

I have read this isn't the best place to just wander. Also many have said this is a good place to do tours thru the cruise line. I have never done a cruise thru the cruise line. I was hoping to find a private tour here. I believe we would like to see the Locks. I have heard some good reviews of the CCL tour but it is a very long day. Seems to be quite crowded as well.

l2F, The best way to "see the locks" is to take the Ferry Boat Tour which I believe is offered by most ships. Yes, a lot of people will go . . . but the boat holds a lot of people. If you aren't actually transiting the Canal, the best way to see it is by the Ferry Boat Tour. You can book it independently, but then you have to arrange your own transportation which can be a hassle, and, yes, it takes as long as it takes. You're just not going to experience "the good stuff" unless you take pretty much a full day tour.

You could get a cab driver to take you to the observation gallery at Gatun Locks and you would get a view of Gatun, hopefully with a ship going through. Gatun is not far from Colon. There are some local operators. I don't know anything about Mario's outfit and have never met them so I'm not shilling for them, but I have noted a lot of CC folks have used and liked his tours.

If you do a search online I think you'll come up with a number of independent operators. Be aware that the Panama Railway and Ferry are usually totally tied up with ship tours when ships are in port, so even if you can book independently, generally if there's a big ship in they have locked in all the space. I'd say "read my book" but I don't want to be "advertising" or appear to be in competition with David Mc Cullough who gets lots of coverage on CC.

Regards, Richard

Our Equinox tour stopped in Colon as the port for tours of Panama. We opted for the ferry boat tour. Yes, it is a full day tour, but we thought it was very worthwhile. Our transportation to Gatun Lake was via a very comfortable motorcoach, and we then boarded a large ferry. The seating was just those resin-type chairs, so were somewhat moveable, and we were able to secure seats under cover, but near the rail. There was narration as we transited the locks, and water and sodas were provided all day, and a lunch was provided midway thru the tour. We were able to get up and move around and take photo's fairly easily. Yes, there were a lot of people, as we did have the large ferry, but people were considerate of others. We were there in the month of Feb., and we had great weather; sunny, but with a nice breeze as we cruised, so it never got too hot. We thoroughly enjoyed this tour. We did have time to browse the market at the pier in Colon when we arrived back, but didn't spend too much time there. It was a bit depressing.

We are considering a CCL cruise that stops in Colon, Panama. We have never been to this port. I know there are cruises that cruise the canal.

This may be a stupid question. I'm researching possible tours and don't want to confuse a tour meant for a canal cruise vs. just a stop at Colon. How does one know the difference when reviewing the threads?

Check out My Friend Mario. Just went on a the Canal/Jungle/Fort tour last week and it was excellent. I wrote up a short review in another one of the threads in this section. Well worth the $55.

We will also be on an Equinox cruise stopping in Colon.We are concerned about the heat and humidity for the ferry transit through the locks and wondered if we would have a good chance of seeing a ship go through the locks as part of another tour. Which is better ( higher chance of seeing ship transit) Mira Flores or Gatun locks? Our cruise is in early March 2012.

Under normal conditions there is almost always a ship in or very near Gatun Locks. Miraflores on the other hand is subject to a little different ship traffic constraints and there may be some shipless periods. Do reconsider the heat and humidity on the partial transit on the ferry. You usually can position yourself for some shade and there will be a breeze whenever you are moving, plus a good portion of the open air part of the tour will be in the morning, which is not a bad time of the day. Another thing to consider is you won't be doing anything strenuous when H&H can really be a problem. The ferry tour will give you a great look at the Canal!

I will be taking the 10 day Zuiederdam. Will I be able to go through the Gatun locks and then pick up the ferry cruise the canal through the Mariflores lock and return in time to catch the ship when schedule to leave? Read the blog but trying to figure out the logistics. Thanks for the info so far. Also does Holland still have a an expert that give several lectures on the history and transit of the canal.

I believe the Zuiederdam is doing partial Canal transit cruises, ie. locking through Gatun Locks and then docking in Colon. Going under this assumption the answer is yes, you will be able to take the tour to through Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut. Just one thing incase you are not aware of it... you must take this (and any other tour at the Canal ) tour through the cruise line. You begin your tour after the ship reaches the Gatun Lake Anchorage, tendering off the ship and travelling to the Pacific side by bus. While you are on your tour the ship will return through and dock in Colon where you will rejoin the ship.

There is a narration on the ship while going through Gatun Locks and the ferry explaining the operation and some history during your tour. In the past the Zuiederdam has provided port/destination lecturers, in fact one of the regular posters here, Richard in Panama was a lecturer on the Zuiederdam.

Hi Richard, or any other expert on Panama, can you recommend any canal / ferry boat tours in Panama? We stop in Colon and were trying not to go through the ship's excursion and it is a group of 14 adults.

I'm nort Richard and I don't play him on TV;)! As a practical matter usually when a cruise ship is in port most if not all of the ferry tours assets are devoted to the ship. On the other hand if for some reason you were able to book the partial transit indepently you really would be taking a risk in not being able to return to the ship on time. Canal operations are can be unpredictable when it comes to delays in ship traffic and this does not include the possibilty of vehicle traffic or other delays taking into consideration you are some distance from the port. I'm affraid this is one place the ship's tours maaybe your best choice... maybe the only choice!

I'm nort Richard and I don't play him on TV;)!

But, Bill, you'd do a great job!! Agree with Bill, as is usually the case . . . when ships are in port the tour companies pretty well lock up all the space they can get . . . on he ferry and the train. Don't decide NOT to do it only because you have to book it through the cruise line. Regards, Richard

But, Bill, you'd do a great job!! Agree with Bill, as is usually the case . . . when ships are in port the tour companies pretty well lock up all the space they can get . . . on he ferry and the train. Don't decide NOT to do it only because you have to book it through the cruise line. Regards, Richard

Agree with Richard. Although we usually book our tours independently, we did book this tour through the ship and were quite pleased that we did, especially as it was an all-day tour. That allowed us to relax and enjoy our day, rather than stress about getting back to the ship on time. Although the price of the tour was more than any excursion we've done in a long time, it was reasonably priced, once we understood the cost of transiting the locks. So, don't let the cost of the tour let you miss out on this if you can afford it. You'll be sorry you did. ;)

Archived