ST. Thomas Jewerly

bigd09

"Diamonds Intern. is owned by Carnival and is a respectable company, buy from them if you wish but the big deals are no longer a common issue."

Not sure where lillian marie got this information, but with all due respect, she's wrong. Diamonds International and Tanzanite International are owned 100% by Almod Diamonds, Ltd. headquartered in New York City. It is a privately held entity and is not publicly traded.

Someone who claims to have lived in St. Thomas recommended Cardow Jewelers. Cardow has some exquisite pieces, but I found them to be grossly overpriced and they will not negotiate prices in my experience. Unless your budget is unlimited and you're extremely knowledgeable about jewelry, I'd keep my Cardow experience limited to window shopping.

Another poster also recommended Bernard K. Passman. If memory serves me right, Passman is the jeweler who specializes in black coral. In my experience, another jeweler to window shop at unless your budget can absorb any price cuz that's what you'll pay.

We have purchased jewelry throughout the Carribean for years.

But you MUST know what you are doing.

I got my Rolex in Grand Cayman and saved about $1,600. That was 9 years ago and I still love it today.

Hubby got his Breitling in Belize and got a very good deal.

I have purchased various rings, earrings and tennis bracelets over the years....not only to save money BUT because I loved the designs. They were designs I could not find in the US.

With our state sales tax rate being over 9%...we saved that amount of money right off the bat.

But again, you MUST be an educated consumer.

In St Thomas, we got hubby a wonderful neck chain (70 grams) solid gold at Cardow there in the Havensight Mall and he loves it. Again, while we did save money....it was the design that sold us.

Most of our jewelry is an investment. That being said, our purchase from Bernard Passman is viewed as "art" and it is guaranteed to escalate in value each year. It's value has climbed 700 dollars over 5 years. Plus the price of gold is going up and the ring is made with 18K. You are correct it comes with a premium price tag but it also has quality craftsmanship and parts. If I was more knowledgeable of the gem world, I would venture at times. For now I'll stay with big names and hold for investments. Either way it's enjoyable shopping and the free drinks. Maybe some day I'll have the dollars to waste and buy that 500K chess set:eek:

My husband and I decided to buy new wedding bands for our 8th anniversary in St Thomas. I like blue diamonds so we got matching wedding bands. We had a person with us that was very knowledgable about diamonds and she helped us. Got a great deal--came home had my band appraised appraised for 2x what paid then I added a little more bling to the band and now have a beautiful $12000. ring. Just know what you are looking for and do not take the price they first offer it for.

We have purchased quite a bit of jewelry over the years and have been happy with every purchase. As with anything, being an educated consumer is the key. I've found unique pieces and had stones changed out for me, etc. All of them - just lovely to wear and have held up very nicely.

I agree that Bernard Passman is just WONDERFUL. Their pieces are lovely. And, I have a fair amount (since I bought it years ago - even though it was very pricey - it all looks as lovely as the day I purchased each piece).

Just spend a bit of time to educate yourself on what you may be looking for. The research is worth it.

(This is not to say you cannot have great deals at local jewelers as well. I know mine probably all too well - according to DH. Even my local guy just loves some of the items I have worn. He offered to buy several of them if I get tired of them.)

Archived