Snorkel Day-Grand Turk or Nassau

DEBnGAB

Hi everyone,

Given the choice, would you rather snorkel in Grand Turk or in Nassau?

I may do both, but if I can only do one snorkel day, I'd like to choose the best port for it.

Any opinions?

Thanks!!!

PS-I posted this on the scuba/snorkel board but no responses.

Hi everyone,

I may do both, but if I can only do one snorkel day, I'd like to choose the best port for it.

Any opinions?

Thanks!!!

If it were me, I'd book Stuart Cove's 3 stop snorkel trip on the south side of New Providence Island (Nassau) and swim with the sharks. If that's not your speed, snorkel at Grand Turk. If you're new to snorkeling, try it right from the beach next to the ship. I'd book a boat ride to hit a few reefs, the cruise lines have locked up most of the boat operators on GT, so prepare to pay $$$ for that option.

If it were me, I'd book Stuart Cove's 3 stop snorkel trip on the south side of New Providence Island (Nassau) and swim with the sharks. If that's not your speed, snorkel at Grand Turk. If you're new to snorkeling, try it right from the beach next to the ship. I'd book a boat ride to hit a few reefs, the cruise lines have locked up most of the boat operators on GT, so prepare to pay $$$ for that option.

I was considering that one for Nassau and heard Stuart Cove was great. I have snokeling experience and have my own gear.

The shark swim sounds really cool!!!

Thanks for that suggestion!

I agree with Snorkel...we are big snorkelers, but we took all the kids (grown) on their first snorkel trip with Stuart Cove in Nassau and it was very good! They all loved it! Unfortunately (or fortunately;)) when we got to the third stop, the sharks weren't there (they feed the sharks about 40 feet below and you snorkel on the surface and watch:eek:). But it was a great time and they run a very good outfit. They pick you up outside the port and drive you over...it's about 25 minutes away so you get to see quite a bit of the island on the way.

We have also snorkeled in GT...had to take an excursion thru Carnival which was pretty good. Unfortunately they had just had a hurricane a couple of weeks before we got there and alot of the coral was dying:( Just a warning...I jumped into the water and came face to face with a barracuda! I've snorkeled around them before, but this was a little frightening. Later I found out that he hangs out with the snorkelers and is very mellow (I think they call him Jack). Personally when I'm in GT, I am very happy to walk up the beach to Jack's Shack and spend the day up there...that's the life:D

I agree with Snorkel...we are big snorkelers, but we took all the kids (grown) on their first snorkel trip with Stuart Cove in Nassau and it was very good!

Just a warning...I jumped into the water and came face to face with a barracuda! I've snorkeled around them before, but this was a little frightening. Later I found out that he hangs out with the snorkelers and is very mellow (I think they call him Jack). Personally when I'm in GT, I am very happy to walk up the beach to Jack's Shack and spend the day up there...that's the life:D

I had a Barracuda encounter in Puerto Rico lol! Same thing, he hung out in the area and didnt bother anyone. Neat, once you get over the initial shock!

In GT we may just grab a golf cart, tootle around the island a bit then come back to Jacks for drinks and lunch.

Thanks for the second on Stuart Cove.

• 2 weeks later...

Not related to snorkeling per se, but GT is a great port to just enjoy the pool and beach without spending extra $$. You jump off the ship and just have fun at the complex right there. I'd definitely spend my excursion $ at Nassau because a great day at GT is a given. ;)

Not related to snorkeling per se, but GT is a great port to just enjoy the pool and beach without spending extra $$. You jump off the ship and just have fun at the complex right there. I'd definitely spend my excursion $ at Nassau because a great day at GT is a given. ;)

Thanks! Yea this is our second time at GT and heard the snorkeling was great. Last time we went to Gibbs Cay.

I have not been to the Turks and Caicos, so I cant comment on snorkeling there.

I was not impressed with the snorkeling in Nassau at all (I am spoiled though having snorkeled on other great islands). The one trip in Nassau that sounds really fun is Stuarts 3-stop. Unfortunately I have not been able to do it because my arrival/departure times don't coincide with their schedule. (You have to arrive before 8am for the morning trip or leave after 5pm for the afternoon trip).

I just did the snorkel tour with Stuart's Cove. It was three stops. I was not impressed with the first two stops (except for a barracuda), but the last stop was the shark stop and it was awesome! There were about 9 reef sharks circling beneath us and it was quite the adrenaline rush. The tour was well worth it just for that stop.

Hi everyone,

Any opinions?

Thanks!!!

Hey fellow party people DEBnGAB! I will never forget my sharpie:D:eek: But snorkeling wise Grand Turk is very highly rated as well with scuba diving! I did it & had a blast & also snorkeled of cable beach in Nassau & Grand Turk wins hands down! & a CHEAP & simple beach resort day in Nassau is the Sheraton Cable Beach! $29 a person gets you a wristband for beach-chair use with umbrella, snorkeling equip, kayaks & beach water toys, 3 huge resort pools & 4 hot tubs, towels, clean restrooms! Thats the jist of it, if you go down that route, email them is best they respond fast!

I have not been to the Turks and Caicos, so I cant comment on snorkeling there.

I was not impressed with the snorkeling in Nassau at all (I am spoiled though having snorkeled on other great islands). The one trip in Nassau that sounds really fun is Stuarts 3-stop. Unfortunately I have not been able to do it because my arrival/departure times don't coincide with their schedule. (You have to arrive before 8am for the morning trip or leave after 5pm for the afternoon trip).

Oh that would prob be a problem then since we arrive at 8 and leave at 5. I had been seriously considering Stuarts too..darn. I was also getting mixed reviews about Nassau snorkleing.

I just did the snorkel tour with Stuart's Cove. It was three stops. I was not impressed with the first two stops (except for a barracuda), but the last stop was the shark stop and it was awesome! There were about 9 reef sharks circling beneath us and it was quite the adrenaline rush. The tour was well worth it just for that stop.

Id do Stuarts simply for the shark snorkel!

But doesnt look like our port schedule will accomodate it.

Was the visibility any good at the first 2 stops?

Hey fellow party people! I will never forget my sharpie:D:eek: But snorkling wise Grand Turk is very highly rated as well with scuba diving! I did it & had a blast & also snorkled of cable beach in Nassau & Grand Turk wins hands down!

Hey hey! Always bring a sharpie!

I am hearing about the Wall in Grand Turk. Problem is we are only in port from 7am-2:30pm that day...meaning I would need to get up at the crack of dawn for snorkeling...no way I can do the afternoon trip after hanging on the beach at Jacks.

Hey hey! Always bring a sharpie!

I am hearing about the Wall in Grand Turk. Problem is we are only in port from 7am-2:30pm that day...meaning I would need to get up at the crack of dawn for snorkeling...no way I can do the afternoon trip after hanging on the beach at Jacks.

HECK NO, no afternoon snorkeling!!!! JACK'S SHACK IS REQUIRED!!!! You just need to go to bed early(i know hard to do) the night before, have an express B-fast & do a AM snorkeling tour(the island isnt that big) & JACK'S SHACK is within walking/stumbling distance to the ship PLUS FYI go on Jack's SHACK website & print the COUPON for a FREE SHOT OF LOCAL RUM EACH:eek::eek::D:D! Me & my homegirl stumbled back to the Destiny, me 2 fisting my drinks!

HECK NO, no afternoon snorkeling!!!! JACK'S SHACK IS REQUIRED!!!! You just need to go to bed early(i know hard to do) the night before, have an express B-fast & do a AM snorkeling tour(the island isnt that big) & JACK'S SHACK is within walking/stumbling distance to the ship PLUS FYI go on Jack's SHACK website & print the COUPON for a FREE SHOT OF LOCAL RUM EACH:eek::eek::D:D! Me & my homegirl stumbled back to the Destiny, me 2 fisting my drinks!

Yes, all of the above sounds good! Yea, maybe we will just try to get up in time to catch the AM snorkeling..so we can party it up at Jacks afterwards! And we have HMC the next day so we can sleep at the beach!

Oh I definitely have my free rum coupon all ready to go! I was at GT last Aug and didnt have a chance to hit Jacks.

Yes, all of the above sounds good! Yea, maybe we will just try to get up in time to catch the AM snorkeling..so we can party it up at Jacks afterwards! And we have HMC the next day so we can sleep at the beach!

Oh I definitely have my free rum coupon all ready to go! I was at GT last Aug and didnt have a chance to hit Jacks.

& seeing the ship in the background to the left of the shimmering brilliant blue water from Jack's Shack is amazing, then walk across the beach back to the ship, def. a good memory to me

& seeing the ship in the background to the left of the shimmering brilliant blue water from Jack's Shack is amazing, then walk across the beach back to the ship, def. a good memory to me

yes me too! I need some R&R time! I was thinking of getting a beach massage at Spa Anani there are the cruise center, but no way to fit in a massage, snorkeling and Jacks! lol! What a problem to have right? I may just snorkel/Jacks in GT and then make it a shorter day in Nassau and get a massage on the ship since they have in port specials.

Last year we took a cab to Bohio Divers...they took us out and the guide dove for conch, we went to Gibbs Cay and he made fresh conch salad right on the beach. It was amazing!

Another vote for Nassau and Stuart Cove's Ultimate Snorkeling excursion. We just went last month and saw a ton of fish and the sharks...it was totally fine with me to not actually swim with the sharks but just get in the water and look at them...they were actually kind of large (at least up close!) Very cool to see. It is a long excursion, but I know they worked really hard to get people back to the ship...an NCL cruise was scheduled to leave at 6pm, and the tour was supposed to get back around 5:30, but they actually got all the NCL people on one bus and took them immediately back to the ship...so if you just communicate with them, and you are in port the hours they do the tours, I think they'll work with you if possible. We were in port from 11am-10pm or something like that, so we had plenty of time to do the afternoon tour.

I am going to Grand Turk next year and from my research so far, I want to do the Blue Waters Divers excursion someone else here mentioned.

Another vote for Nassau and Stuart Cove's Ultimate Snorkeling excursion. We just went last month and saw a ton of fish and the sharks...it was totally fine with me to not actually swim with the sharks but just get in the water and look at them...they were actually kind of large (at least up close!) Very cool to see. It is a long excursion, but I know they worked really hard to get people back to the ship...an NCL cruise was scheduled to leave at 6pm, and the tour was supposed to get back around 5:30, but they actually got all the NCL people on one bus and took them immediately back to the ship...so if you just communicate with them, and you are in port the hours they do the tours, I think they'll work with you if possible. We were in port from 11am-10pm or something like that, so we had plenty of time to do the afternoon tour.

I am going to Grand Turk next year and from my research so far, I want to do the Blue Waters Divers excursion someone else here mentioned.

Thanks!

I sent Stuart an email to see if he an work with our port hours. I am really intrigued by the shark snorkel!!

Archived