working areas of the ship tours?

samtesla

I believe if you renew your vows at see there is some type of tour of the bridge that you get to do, although for the life of me I can't understand how renewing you vows and touring the bridge are at all related.

I've read (on this board) that if you submit a request at the Pursers Desk the first day of the cruise, you might be invited for a bridge tour sometime during the cruise. Also, a number of years ago a friend of ours struck up a conversation with one of the officers and was invited to see the communications area. Our friend was a former Navy man and a current ham operator. This was definitely before 9/11, so doubt if that would work nowadays. Besides the galley we have also done a backstage tour that was excellent.

Cruznliz is correct. Last year while we were on the Coral we addressed a letter to the Captain about taking a tour of the bridge. The first day when we were on the ship we presented the letter to the Pursers desk. About 4 days later we received an invitation to tour the bridge. There were about 25 of us(it was people who were celebrating anniversaries)we were not. The captain was not there but one of the officers showed us around. It was fascinating and my DH was beside himself as he got to sit on the Captains chair. Give it a try, you having nothing to lose.:D

Marilyn

When on the Star 2 weeks ago, I submitted a letter to the purser's desk requesting a tour of the bridge for a companion traveling with us. All four of us received written invitations in our cabins with a date and time and place to meet. I declined but the other three were given a wonderful tour of the bridge, were allowed to take pictures, listen to the radio (?) and even sit in the captain's chair and get a pic taken there. They all said the tour was amazing. I had asked about the engine room and was told they never allow that anymore.

My brother-in-law was able to get a "quickie" overview of the engine room. He had struck up a conversation with one of the engineering officers in the buffet, and was able to "con" a trip to the engine room.

This was before 9-11, and probably wouldn't be possible today.

Years ago, we were sitted at a table (Sov. of the Seas) with a manufacturers rep for the engines of the ship. Don't know why he was there but he was very friendly and by the middle of the cruise he invited the whole table to tour the engine room (which was massive) and the control room. We were allowed to take pictures, ask questions, and stay as long as we wanted.

Can you imagine this happening now, after 9/11?!! Nonetheless, it was a unique experience and we have great pictures. Too bad that times have to change.

I believe if you renew your vows at see there is some type of tour of the bridge that you get to do, although for the life of me I can't understand how renewing you vows and touring the bridge are at all related.

I think bridge tours can be arranged for anyone if you ask nicely. I've heard the best way is to write a nice personalized letter to the captain, and drop it off at the purser's desk as soon as you board.

The engine room, though, I would tend to doubt they would allow you to tour ... probably for safety reasons, if for nothing else. That area, from what I understand, is hot, noisy and congested. They probably wouldn't want to risk someone getting dizzy and falling. But, tours of this area might be granted to certain people who have a background in that sort of thing, so I would certainly give it a try if it's important to you.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived