Legend Review 7-3 to 7-10 2011 Lots of Pictures

Larry'sLady

Thank you Larry's Lady! My daughter and I sailed the Legend over Spring Break just 4 months ago. We loved Roatan and Belize so much we're going again, this time taking my husband and son with us.

We had a balcony cabin for my daughter and I, currently we're booked in an oceanview porthole and an inside with bunks because I wated the cabins pretty close together. I was so excited to show my husband and son Belize and Roatan that I didn't mind booking a couple of inside rooms. With all of our busy schedules, it would have been next summer before we could do it again and I just didn't want to wait that long.

We used Victor Bodden tours in Roatan, and are planning to do the Zip n Dip this time with them. In March we went through the Mayan Princess to the beach to snorkel and there was a huge drop off just a few yards out and about a tenth of a mile to the left on the beach. There was just this HUGE wall of coral just full of fish. It looked really healthy too! Terrific snorkeling!

The underwater pictures are amazing!

How was the food?

Thanks for reading our review.

The food was great with the exception of the beef dishes. The chateaubriand, the flat iron steak and the prime rib were tough and inedible. We were very disappointed in the quality of the beef. Everything else was great and plentiful. I loved the hot dogs. Larry got a cheeseburger at the grill one afternoon about 2:30 and said it was dry. If you get them fresh off the grill they are much better. The Unicorn Cafe buffet offered a wide variety of food from sandwiches, and pizza to hot entrees from various countries. The Asian bar was very good each day. Desserts were fabulous and varied. The fresh fruit was sooooo good. Full of pineapple, watermelon, cantelope, honeydew, grapes and peaches, I think they were peaches. I especially loved the watermelon and pineapple. On a last note, there was no bacon police the times I ate breakfast at the buffet. You could just help yourself. To tell you how good the food was, I gained 7 lbs and Larry gained 8.:eek: I have lost all but 2 lbs; don't know how Larry is doing. You will not go hungry.

WEDNESDAY Belize' date=' Central America[/size']

We met for breakfast in the MDR at 7:00AM. We had pre-booked the Belize City and Altun Ha Ruins excursion through Carnival. Tickets said we left at 8:45 AM so we met in the Follies Lounge at about 8:20. Everyone who had an early excursion got on the first tenders, no matter if you booked through Carnival or not. They gave each person a numbered sticker based on what time your excursion left.

I had never been on a tender before, so I was a little apprehensive after having a knee replacement 2 years ago. I should not have worried. The tenders were large and the steps leading to them were very easy to maneuver. There were plenty of hands on deck to help you enter and leave the boat. The trip took about 25 minutes and the waters were calm. We were met at the pier by a rep of our tour (Bak A Bush Tours) and taken to the area where busses park. We were given time to use the restroom and purchase water, if we wanted to.

We boarded a very nice air-conditioned bus and off we went. We drove around the city of Belize as our tour guides, Garrett and Ken showed us both sides of life in Belize. We saw fine homes and abject poverty. We all felt completely safe on this tour. I would not, even though others on the CC board have done it, go off on my own in Belize. The people drive like maniacs and there are bicycles everywhere. There are no speed limits on any of the roads. On the way to Altun Ha, we passed an armed check point. Garrett said they were placed at intervals along the road and you better have papers that proved the vehicle was yours and why you were on the road.

We arrived in Altun Ha about 1 1/2 hours later. We were given a bottle of water when we exited the bus. Be sure and have lots of sunscreen and bug spray when it is summer. The bugs were so bad that they burned pots of some kind of nut to keep them away. Garrett said when they had winter it was about 65 degrees! We were given the history of the ruins and allowed to view them. The tour was completely guided and we stayed together. Garrett explained that Carnival only allowed its tours to climb one of the ruins as they were concerned that the others weren’t safe. We saw people on all the other ruins.

After the tour, we spent some time shopping in a small area of local shops. These were very primitive but they had some beautiful things. I bought a hand carved cane with a toucan head for $20. I saw one similar in Roatan with a dogs head for $44. We found the best prices for souvenirs in Cozumel & Belize. Locals were also selling fruit but we did not buy any. They had restroom facilities at the ruins and they sold beer. Dave & Larry sampled the local beer, Belikin beer, and pronounced that for $1 it was very good. There are other tours to these ruins that go on the Wallace River and by bus. I would not recommend these as the bugs would probably be very bad and some of the boats weren’t covered. The sun was HOT!!!

Our tour was supposed to be for 4 hours but we went over and did not arrive back in port until 2:45. We had not eaten since breakfast. I would recommend a tour that serves lunch or bring some crackers or other sealed snacks. We caught a tender back to the ship and hurried to the Unicorn for lunch. It was 3:30 by the time we ate and we had dinner at 6:00 PM. This is why I prefer ATD. We rested on the balcony and went on deck for sail away at 5: PM. Macie had a swim party tonight so she was swimming and eating with Camp friends.

After dinner we went to the Firebird for singing (karaoke) and dancing. We didn’t stay too long as they were terrible and the same people kept singing. There was a party on the Lido at 10 PM. Our dancer, Macie, took her dad as her dance partner tonight. Fun ship Freddie and the whole gang were there. Larry and I did the balcony routine and called it a night. Our towel animal was a frog.

Beautiful morning in Belize

325.jpg

Breakfast in the MDR

326.jpg

Macie & Kelly on the tender ride into port

327.jpg

A look back at the ship

328.jpg

The port of Belize

330.jpg

One of our tour guides Ken

331.jpg

Cool we had Ken as a tour guide, when we sailed on the Legend last year in July. We went to the Mayan ruins Xunantunich, he was a very good tour guide. This was my favorite tour for the entire trip.

Could you tell me the price; where you able to bargain for it

I paid $20 for it. I did not bargain. Larry bargained for a couple of Mayan calendars and got them cheaper. I thought $20 was already a bargain. I saw similar canes the next day in Roatan for $44.

The cane we are discussing in the picture below. It is much prettier than the picture shows.

378.jpg

Cool we had Ken as a tour guide, when we sailed on the Legend last year in July. We went to the Mayan ruins Xunantunich, he was a very good tour guide. This was my favorite tour for the entire trip.

Did you enjoy the ruins? Were there more structures in Xunantunich than Altun Ha? How long was your tour and did you book with Carnival? Sorry for all the questions. I am curious about your tour.

I paid $20 for it. I did not bargain. Larry bargained for a couple of Mayan calendars and got them cheaper. I thought $20 was already a bargain. I saw similar canes the next day in Roatan for $44.

The cane we are discussing in the picture below. It is much prettier than the picture shows.

378.jpg

Thanks so much. I will look while on my Sept Dream cruise

Dot

We had table 207 in the Truffles Dining room all week.

We just got off the Legend on Sunday and had the same table as you!! Suresh, Victor and Lovelei were nice...not overly friendly/eager to get to know you, but good enough.

We just got off the Legend on Sunday and had the same table as you!! Suresh, Victor and Lovelei were nice...not overly friendly/eager to get to know you, but good enough.

Maybe they knew you were on your honeymoon. We found Suresh and Lovelei to be very friendly and eager to please us. Knew our names after 1st day. Victor was the shy one.

Thank you Larry's Lady! My daughter and I sailed the Legend over Spring Break just 4 months ago. We loved Roatan and Belize so much we're going again, this time taking my husband and son with us.

We had a balcony cabin for my daughter and I, currently we're booked in an oceanview porthole and an inside with bunks because I wated the cabins pretty close together. I was so excited to show my husband and son Belize and Roatan that I didn't mind booking a couple of inside rooms. With all of our busy schedules, it would have been next summer before we could do it again and

I just didn't want to wait that long.

We used Victor Bodden tours in Roatan, and are planning to do the Zip n Dip this time with them. In March we went through the Mayan Princess to the beach to snorkel and there was a huge drop off just a few yards out and about a tenth of a mile to the left on the beach. There was just this HUGE wall of coral just full of fish. It looked really healthy too! Terrific snorkeling!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. My SIL will appreciate the snorkeling tips. Hope y'all have as much fun together as we did. Happy cruising.

Nice review! Dave's pictures are great, thanks for sharing them. I'll be on the Legend in two months, can't wait. Looking forward to the rest of your review!

Larry'sLady, great review really enjoying it. We sail the legend on 9/11. Do not want to hijack your thread, but LovesAllTravel come join our roll call.

Thanks Nana for posting my photos. And thanks even more for not posting ALL of them!

I love taking pictures anywhere, but particularly on or under the ocean! I'd like to put a disclaimer out there that all of these images were taken with a point-and-shoot (Canon D10) as opposed to a professional digital SLR that I would normally use (whole line of Nikons). For an active traveler like me, when I'm around the water, the convenience of carrying a little camera and not being restricted to staying dry outweighs the obvious quality difference between a PNS and say the D3 that I might otherwise have with me!

If you have any questions about cameras, photos or other photo-related things as they pertain to cruising, hit me up...

Amazing pictures Dave! Do you offer photography lessons by chance?!? :D

Miss Macie has been looking at Carnival.com and announced that she wants to go on the Dream next year. Guess we will be Dreaming the Eastern route next year. I hope.

Your review is incredible. We sale on the Legend in 81 days and are so, so excited. If you do go with the Dream, you will love her. She is much bigger than the Legend, but we had no trouble at all navigating her. She was our first cruise ever so we have a special place in our memories for her.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. :)

Your review is incredible. We sale on the Legend in 81 days and are so, so excited. If you do go with the Dream, you will love her. She is much bigger than the Legend, but we had no trouble at all navigating her. She was our first cruise ever so we have a special place in our memories for her.

Thanks, Jobell for the kind words. I agree, Dave is a fantastic photographer. I think photography is in part being an artist and is a God given talent.

So glad you enjoyed my review. It was a lot of fun to put it together and relive our cruise. We almost went on the Dream for this cruise, but I was afraid it would be too big for a new cruiser, Larry, and me who had only cruised on the Fantasy class. Looking forward to sailing on the Dream sometime in the future.

Love your signature because we are all Hokies For Life, too.:)

Thank you for the wonderful review. I can't wait until we go on the Legend for the third time in January. Dave's pictures are gorgeous. So glad that you had a wonderful family vacation. I will keep your cousin in my thoughts and prayers. That is great that she is doing better.

Thanks' date=' Jobell for the kind words. I agree, Dave is a fantastic photographer. I think photography is in part being an artist and is a God given talent.

So glad you enjoyed my review. It was a lot of fun to put it together and relive our cruise. We almost went on the Dream for this cruise, but I was afraid it would be too big for a new cruiser, Larry, and me who had only cruised on the Fantasy class. Looking forward to sailing on the Dream sometime in the future.

Love your signature because we are all Hokies For Life, too.:)[/quote']

Aside from the cruise itself, I think the lead up to the big event is my favorite. Getting to know our fellow cruisers on the roll call, planning excursions, etc. I think you'll find the Dream to be a great ship and I think Larry will enjoy it as well. ;)

Hoki, hoki, hoki hy

Techs, Techs V.P.I.

I think Larry's Lady is pretty much right ... there's not that much to know, it mostly just looking at things differently, and sometimes, just getting up early for the great sunrises! I think a lot of good travel photography is just looking for the best light and angles and capturing the beauty the Big Fella creates for us! I think there are always good pictures to be taken, you just have to look for them and sometimes work a little to get the best light/angles. I think the god-given part comes in that I "see" the good pictures before I take them...

I think Larry's Lady is pretty much right ... there's not that much to know, it mostly just looking at things differently, and sometimes, just getting up early for the great sunrises! I think a lot of good travel photography is just looking for the best light and angles and capturing the beauty the Big Fella creates for us! I think there are always good pictures to be taken, you just have to look for them and sometimes work a little to get the best light/angles. I think the god-given part comes in that I "see" the good pictures before I take them...

I can completely understand and agree. My struggle is having the right setting, speed, etc. lol.

Again, amazing pictures. And yes, the Big Fella does give us amazing backdrops, scenery, etc.

GO HOKIES!!!!

Archived