Dive skin with shortie suit?

Bowie MeMe

We leave for a snorkling trip to Galapagos Islands in 4 weeks. We bought our own shortie wetsuits so that they would fit. We have prescription masks/snorkels and snorkeling vests. It has been suggested that we have long dive skins under the shortie suit. What does the dive skin do for snorkeling in about 70 degree water? Neccessary for comfort? We are only allowed one 40 pound suitcase because of the flights from mainland to islands. Bottom line question Carry and wear a dive skin or take another short/tshirt?:D Thanks.

PS we are trying the stuff on tonight and if the neighbors were peeping toms they would be rolling in the aisles. This getup makes you look past ridiculous.:eek::D

Seventy degree water is pretty chilly. When I'm diving, I would be in a 3mm wetsuit plus the diveskin, but many divers would be in a 5 mm. I would imagine you'll be warmer snorkling, but it still will be cold.

Skins are good protection againist jellys and coral. May look goofy, but who cares. Dittos on the 70 degree water - full 3 mils recommended if not a 5, depends on time in the water. - Have Fun and we will be diving in the eastern Carb. next month

I have not been able to find a dive skin that I can get on (one piece). I am a fluffy type and not so tall. It seems divers are lean and tall. Any suggestions for under my shortie 3mm for warmth. Suggestions on where to purchase a rash guard and not spend a fortune?

I don't know about a 1 piece but look at Tommy D's. They have suits for all sizes (including "mature" like my wife and I). Their dive skins/rash guards weigh next to nothing and make slipping wet suits on a lot easier. Very inexpensive as well. Their URL is www.tommydsports.com

• 3 weeks later...

I concur on the need for a full wetsuit of either 3 or 5 mm. Since you have a shorty, you may be able to get away with a 2mm unter the shorty. You will be cold with a skin or just a shorty.

Look for a wetsuit with "hyperstretch" or four way stretch in it. I was really fluffy and 6'4" tall... bought a henderson hyperstretch 3mm suit that had enough "give" to make it work.

I normally don't get cold, but when we were in Pacific a few years ago snorkeling in 68 degree water, it was pretty miserable without my wetsuit.

Also, beware of cramping when you get cold and muscles start guarding....

Archived