Best Ruins and something else?

jarand

DD and her BF (late 20's) just told me they've always wanted to see some Mayan ruins. They're pretty active, so I can't see them loving a bus-look only tour. Suggestions? Is there a tour that combines ruins with something else, maybe snorkeling or cenotes? We are going this October on Carnival.

Thanks!

My favorite is the Mayan ruins at Uxmal, but it is a ninety minute bus ride. You're guide gives a history and culture talk on the way. Doesn't leave much time for other activities.

There's a more modest ruins closer to Progreso.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Autoprogresso tour to Uxmal is 5 hours, of that 3 1/2 is getting there and back. Is 1 1/2 hrs enough time there? Carnival gives you 6 1/2 hrs. We cruise in January, and im leaning towards going to the ruins here.

Are there any other alternatives, is this something i can do by hiring a car? Although i believe i will miss out on the history lesson on the bus, but prefer not to be rushed.

Help!!

Thanks,

We have been to the Dzib ruins twice and loved it. Once we got to the cenote area my hubby and I veered off to the left and found a whole other area of ruins including what looked like some sort of sports field with sloped seats on each side. Very cool. We had this spot to ourselves. The first time I was there I opted to swim in the cenote which was refreshing but I'm glad we found this other place and will go back and explore further when we are there in May 2012. If you are interested in pictures let me know and I'll send you a link-I never have much luck adding photos directly to this site. Enjoy!

Malden - make sure to wear long pants, socks and closed shoes and spray them with bug spray if you are exploring around Dzibilchaltun. The site itself is fine, until you wander into the underbrush where there are a ton of ruins un/restored. There are many cattle ranches in the area and the cattle graze in the vicinity. There can be ticks in the grass.

Uxmal can be combined with a market as well as an out of the way cenote, yes. There is time if you are not part of a large group which tends to be slow-moving.

Gentlemen, i want to go to Uxmal, Carnival excursion leaves at 7:30 and gives you 3+ hours at the ruins. Autoprogeso leaves at 9:00 and gives you 2 hours at the ruins. Is this enough time to fully appreciate the site? The reason for the debate is its $30.00 less per person through Autoprogeso.

Do you know of any other vendors that are trustworthy?

Thanks

I did the Uxmal tour through Carnival last january and found it to be worth the extra money. The Autoprogresso bus will go into town and wait for more people for the tour. We hopped on a bus at the port and were on our way! We did get much more time than the bus that came later and you'll want all the time you can get. It's amazing!

malden, plan on doing the dzib tour in a couple of weeks, can you tell me how long the ride was and how much time did you have at the site. plus once you get there do you go out on your own or they show you around.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
malden, plan on doing the dzib tour in a couple of weeks, can you tell me how long the ride was and how much time did you have at the site. plus once you get there do you go out on your own or they show you around.

thanks

The trip probably didn't take more than 25 minutes. Tour guide will take you into Dzib and get you started then you can stay with the group or go off on your own which is what we always do. You probably get about 3 hours at Dzib including the option swim in the cenote. If you don't want to get in the water go to the left and look for the "undiscovered" area I'm talking about-it was really cool. We missed it the first time.

• 3 weeks later...

We are going to Mexico on the Elation at the end of the month. My wife has decided we are taking our 1 year old daughter (which I have reservations about, but understand).

We were looking at excursions, and saw Uxmal and Ch. I. Would you reccomend these trips with a 1 year old? I decided we are not riding a bus through Mexico for 3 - 4 hours with her, but if it's an easy trip, maybe I'll reconsider? Would the Dzib trip be good for a 1 year old, can they swim in the cenote?

I also heard the Ch. I. ruins were mostly under construction. Can anyone verify this?

We did hire a private tour van to take us to Tulum while we're in Cozumel. Has anyone seen and enjoyed that site?

Thanks! All your help is greatly appreciated!

Archived