Back from MS Dnieper Princess cruise in June

Telopea

This is not a luxury boat but it is value for money for the cruise from Odessa to Kiev.

We were not with a particular group so we did not receive water with our meals and also did not receive a choice for entrees or for the main meal at lunch , omly for the main at dinner. That was not a problem as we found there was always plenty to eat. Some groups did not enjoy these extras- it seemed to depend on which group you were with or had booked with.

The soups were particularly good [lunchtimes]. Salad ingredients changed from meal to meal At lunchtime you served yourself salad from the buffet but at dinner it was readymade and served to you.

We were lucky we had booked a Junior suite just to have a double bed.. There was no safe but a fair amount of room with a couch, a tv [showing only 2 Ukrainian channels so it was useless], a fridge[!!] and plenty of cupboard space [a wardrobe and a dressing table].

After the 1st day a couple of sachets of body wash/shampoo started appearing in the bathroom - there are no tissues provided only a very small cake of soap.

Other cabins did not have a fridge and this was a general complaint.

For those who needed a safe valuables can be lodged at reception and a flat rate is charged.

The City Tours were generally a bit long. After a couple of hours we need a break even if only for 10 minutes. As always local guides want to impart their encyclopaedic knowledge. Most tourists do not want this overload- research before or after the trip is my habit. Ask if desperate to learn something but please guides be a little more concise.

We had one interesting night.:eek: About the 4th last night and after a very wet day we were reading in bed when a wall of water came through the ceiling onto us. I dressed and went to reception to report it. Fortunately Oksana was available as the young lass on duty didn't understand much of what I was saying. After about 30 minutes we were moved to another cabin- a twin suite which neither of us thought much of as we didn't sleep too well- just too used to being together.

The next day we were back in our cabin with fresh DRY bedding but much hammering ensued above us.

Oksana said it had happened before but not to that cabin.

As compensation Oksana arranged for us to have a bottle of champagne the next night- but it wouldn't have happened had I not asked.

I have to mention Oksana's help on the last day.

Our transfer did not arrive and she made many phone calls for us- the driver had 'Technical difficulties'. In the end after we had waited 50 minutes for the transfer she arranged another car for us and so we had to pay again and tip a few extras as well..

I have written to the company through which we booked but have had no response re the water incident and the transfer so maybe All Russia Cruises/Travel All Russia/Golden Ring Cruises might not be the best company to deal with.:mad:

We found the boat comfortable and even after paying for various options this was very good value for money. A Viking boat moored alongside us twice- same ship but slightly refurbished inside. I found the Viking prices to be far more expensive than for the Dnieper Princess so again I say this boat was a bargain.

The days when the boat is just sailing are a bit boring and there is often not a lot to see when looking across to the river banks [when you are close enough to see them]. I only went to a few of the talks as I found broken English all the time a little tiring.

We loved Sebatopol [the Diorama is fantastic], Odessa and Kiev. The Opera House in Odessa is a definite must.

I posted this same report as Bellbird2 on Trip Advisor and also in an earlier post the menus I had been sent prior to the trip.

Our Cave Monastery excursion was conducted in pouring rain so we didn't make it into the caves as it would have been too dangerous. However we did see a few of the churches and museums.

The St Sophia's Cathedral excursion was included in the city tour. Not sure if anyone didn't pay to do this as the group seemed to stay the same size.

In general the city tours are too long at 3 hours without a break.

The Open Air Museum in Kiev was called off because of the rain. Instead the group toured a Military museum and thought it worthwhile.

We joined a group of about a dozen and through Vladimir the boat's photographer we toured the Babi Yar area...various monuments, the park and then saw the actual ravine. Included were 2 synagogues and a drive past the home where Golda Meier lived till she was 5. Cost 20 euro - in a minivan. This is an unofficial option Ask your guide who will probably direct you to Vladimir.

The Kiev by night boatshow wasn't brilliant until we started to head back. A group of entertainers then worked their magic- some lively singing and music- the group dressed in national costumes. We were served champagne and there seemed to be plenty as drinks were continually offered. A platter of fruit was also offered for us to self-serve.

The Cossack Horse Show was washed out and money refunded.. We still got to eat their 'pilaf' and have a vodka. A musician entertained us while we ate and then passed his hat around.

We did not go to Bakhchisarai as we were in Turkey last year and it didn't seem to offer much more.

We also gave the Black sea fleet Ensemble and Male choirs a miss. Those who went enjoyed them.

The Yalta excursion was great- a clear day so good views along the coast.

The Danube Delta boat ride seemed a waste of money unless you have your heart set on seeing the 0 kilometre mark for the Danube.

Little wildlife was seen and most of the trip is spent looking at rushes growing along the river bank....one canape and a vodka is served.

At Kherson there is a similar trip to a village included and it was better than the option....be aware there will be children pitifully trying to sell you a single flower just to get some money....many of the goods here were quite cheap. Linen tablecloths are their speciality.

The option to the ballet at Odessa Opera Theatre was the standout- just to see the interior of the theatre was worth paying for. This was a wonderful option and not at all expensive.

The suggestion for tips for local guides was $2 and the drivers $1.

• 1 month later...

In my report after our cruise in June I wrote that a wall of water came through the roof and we had to be moved to a twin cabin.

Another problem was the no-show of our transfer on the last day.

The company has now agreed to compensate us for the inconvenience and for our extra costs in finding another transfer so they have been honourable after all.:)

I just wanted to put the record straight.

• 1 year later...
In my report after our cruise in June I wrote that a wall of water came through the roof and we had to be moved to a twin cabin.

Another problem was the no-show of our transfer on the last day.

The company has now agreed to compensate us for the inconvenience and for our extra costs in finding another transfer so they have been honourable after all.:)

I just wanted to put the record straight.

I have booked a trip to Moscow & the Golden Ring Cities in May with Travel All Russia and am considering booking a Dnieper River cruise through them, so I am relieved to hear that they behaved correctly and compensated you in the end.

Archived