Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier

Matotex

We will be traveling to Juneau where we would like to take an excursion and experience the Mendenhall Glacier. We have an option of simply taking a helicopter tour, or doing the helicopter tour plus dog sledding. There is a substantial price difference between the two, and after reading some posts on other sites, we have read that the dog sledding is not worth the extra cost.

Do any members have any thoughts about both excursions, and whether the additional cost for the dog sledding was worth it?

When we were in Juneau, we did an excursion called Four Glaciers and dog sledding. It was expensive, but when we landed on the glacier and actually did the sledding, it was very exciting. When will you ever have a chance to go dog sledding again? It's very worth the extra money, IMHO.

On my 2nd trip to Alaska 15 years ago we did the Helicopter only tour and it was great. On my last trip 4 years ago I did the tour with the dog-sledding with my brother and brother-in-law and we had a great time. We still talk about it every time we get together. In fact it was so good that I've booked it again for my trip this Sep. This will be my husband's first trip to Alaska and it's one thing I think he really needs to do. I think it's worth the extra money.

I did the four glaciers by helicopter with the dogsledding on my birthday in 2007. :D It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. :D I had tried to book independently but the provider would accept only bookings made through HAL, which worked out fine. :D In addition to the dogsledding itself, landing on the glacier, learning about the sport of dogsledding, and getting a break in the middle of the helicopter ride were additional benefits.

Our first Alaska cruise we did took the helicopter and landed on a glacier, walked around a bit and it was wonderful. Our second Alaska cruise, we booked the glacier/dog sledding but it was cancelled due to weather conditions. On our third cruise we were able to do the Glacier/Dog Sledding and it was well worth the cost. As others have said, how often does one have the opportunity to dog sled on a glacier. Besides, we got some great pictures and the picture taken of the two of us on the sled graced our Christmas cards that year.

Have to agree with what everyone else has already said: if you get the opportunity and can afford it, you won't regret doing the helicopter to glacier and dog sledding excursion . We did this in 2009 and, while it was undoubtedly the single most expensive excursion we have ever done, it was well worth it. My wife still drags out pictures occasionally to relive that experience. It's the one excursion I don't believe she will ever forget. She loved it that much!

Archived