Amazing diving in Roatan

We booked directly with Barefoot Divers in Roatan when we on the Legend this past week. I cannot begin to say how wonderful the whole operation was. They were professional and very safe. We were the only three divers on the boat with a captain and 2-3 divemasters. All equipment was in like new condition. We dove Mary's Wall and Johns..(forgot exact name). What pristine locations with amazing diversity of plant and marine life! We had a short stay in port so the divemasters arranged locations that were close (5-10 minutes) from the shop. They took care of all our gear and fresh washed everything while we were given the option of using their showers. If you are looking for the best excursion from the ship, don't even think about booking anyone else in Roatan.

Amy

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, sounds really nice. We are first timers to cruising and diving outside florida. We thought about doing our own dives but chose to go with the Carnival Excursions in Roatan and Belize. More info the better though...Glad your trip was really good. Guess we will see if the Carnival excusions are any good....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very interested in diving here, but I'm concerned over the issue of timing. Our itinerary has us in port from 7:00AM to 3:00PM. I would imagine this would mean 6:00AM to 2:00PM Honduras time. Has anyone run into this in the past?

Yes, just did that this month. If you dive with Barefoot Divers, they are only five minutes from the terminal. Get a cab there, and arrange to have the driver come back to pick you up. It will be $10 per person each way, but we made it with plenty of time to spare after two dives.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm very interested in diving here, but I'm concerned over the issue of timing. Our itinerary has us in port from 7:00AM to 3:00PM. I would imagine this would mean 6:00AM to 2:00PM Honduras time. Has anyone run into this in the past?

Carnival Cruise lines dock at Mahogany Bay which is 10 minutes closer to Barefoot than other cruise lines. We were on Norwegian and they docked in Coxen hole which made it a little tighter time wise to get there early enough for the earliest dive.

We made it, but we were one of the first off the ship and by calling ahead to Barefoot, they had a taxi waiting for us. It was $20 dollars apiece round trip.

I highly recommend these guys. Everyone there was terrific and the lunch was great. We dove with Pete, Scottie, and Delphine. They treated us royally.

Being a new diver, I got a little overwhelmed with the environment and trying to operate my new camera. I had to give it to Scotty on the first dive and then Pete on the second. They gladly took pics during the dive for me with my camera.

Thier were 2 instructors/DM on each dive, so the second DM took care of the pics for us. Pretty cool, huh?

Here is a link to my/Scotty's/Pete's pics.

http://community.webshots.com/user/sparkinatorST

When we were in Roatan, the ship time was changed to port time, so the time was the same. This was on the NCL Spirit. If this is the case on your ship, you would have no trouble getting to Barefoot Cay in time for the first dive. We got to port at 8am, so we were in a rush to get there.

Check to see if your ship time is changed to port time and if it is, your 7am-3pm would be easy to work with.

• 4 months later...

They're slow. I didn't dive with them on my B2B over New Year's. We went with Subway Watersports this time and I prefer them. My boyfriend (who is an instructor) and I were allowed to do our own dives without a guide and there wasn't an underwater maraca in sight. They're the same price as Barefoot, but they provide free transportation so you save $20 a person in taxi fees.

Archived