Pompeii or Herculaneum trip

I am trying to make that decision too! Was thinking of trying to DIY as you can get to them by the same train but don't know how easy it is to get to the station from the port. I will watch this thread with interest!

I am trying to make that decision too! Was thinking of trying to DIY as you can get to them by the same train but don't know how easy it is to get to the station from the port. I will watch this thread with interest!

Hi, the jorney from the port to the station was nerve racking, we were lucky when asking directions from a well dress business man, he very kindly told us to follow him as he was heading in that direction. The actual train journey to Pompeii was very easy and the actual site was just over the road from the station. I would suggest getting a taxi to the station if you are unsure of walking.

We did the Thomson's excursions and went to Pompeii and Vesuvius. We had a fantastic guide - Vincenzo. He took us to Pompeii early so we saw quite a lot before it was too crowded. You can only cover about a quarter in the time and found having a guide was very helpful and informative.

Would also have enjoyed Herculaneum so really the choice has to be yours. There is a very steep climb up Vesuvius but boy was it worth it! The views are tremendous and we were above the clouds! Fantastic!

Enjoy your trips!

We did the Thomson excursion to Pompeii & was not disappointed. We hear that Herculaneum is even better, with more preserved buildings. We intend to that one when we travel in September. I don't think that you will be disappointed with either.

Hi there

We've done both Pompeii and Herculaneum and I must say I preferred Herculaneum.

It is smaller than Pompeii so you get to see it all and it is also better preserved. I think most of the really interesting items initially found in Pompeii are in a museum somewhere. The day we went to Pompeii it was scorching and it was difficult to find any shade to stand in when we stopped with the guide.

I'm glad I have been to Pompeii, more just to say I have been, but in all honesty I thought Herculaneum was more interesting.

Janet

x

Have been to both more th once but for me the favourite is Herculaneum. I would do it on my own as you will be there by train before the coaches(much quicker by train). Remember that the train is the Circumvesuviana and you need to alight at Ercolano. If you go to Pompei you alight at Pompeii Scavi.

Did both a couple of years ago but stayed in Sorrento for the week after the cruise a few weeks before. Would agree Herculanum is more manageable in the time you'll have but recommend joining a guide when you enter. IIRC train was €3 or €4 return, entry €12 and the guide €10 so if you do the maths it works out a lot cheaper if you do it on your own. Only thing I would say is Herculanum itself is not the kind of place I would like to stay and have a coffee but dont let that put you off well worth the effort to go.

Hi there having visited both sites in the past i would have to say go for herculaneum as it`s a smaller site we had half a day there and got around it all and as others have said it`s better preserved than pompeii,with regards to a diy trip i don`t think i would do that for herculaneum as the area did look a little rough.

I have to disagree!

While Herculaneum is very interesting, Pompeii is so much bigger, more varied and atmospheric.

We went to Pompeii first, because that was what we knew about and what we really wanted to see. It was a DIY trip from Sorrento on a land trip, but we only spent a few hours there.

We did Herculaneum ourselves on a cruise stop, and found it interesting, but it didn't have the WOW factor.

kate

Hi I've been to both on different cruises and both are very interesting. I think your only choice is which to do first - you can always go back and do the other on your next cruise! I don't think it matters which way round you do it. I did the ship trip both and had excellent tour guides. I would recommend an organised tour for Pompeii as it is so large you could be wandering around and miss bits. Have a good time. (BTW there is little shade in Pompeii - take a big hat!)

We have visited pompeii on a number of occasions and still find the place fascinating. Last year we stopped in Naples, on a Royal Caribbean cruise and decided to revisit. It was vey easy to get to the station, once you leave the cruise terminal, turn right walk along the road, for about 5 minutes, then cross at the first junction, the station is a few minutes up that road. The ticket cost a few euros, and once at the site we hired an excellent guide, who took a mamimum of 10 people around the site. We passed groups from cruise ships, who appeared to be in groups of hundreds, all trying to fight their way nearer to the guides, to try to catch what they were saying.

We did intend to then continue, on the train to Sorrento, but we didn't really have enough time. Once back in Naples, we decided to have a walk around the Port area, bit of a mistake. Although nothing happened, the area is extremelly rundown (that's putting it mildly) and we did feel slightly self conscious, and a bit guilty. People were living there in squalour, while we were returning to our luxurious ship.

We decided just to finish with a nice portside drink. The only bar we found was on the dock, think it was called Bar Italia, avoid at all costs. They tried to rip us off, by charging for large drinks, while providing small, s******ing together in a corner and then doing the usual shrugging and indicating their lack of comprehension, when we questioned the bill.They chose the wrong tourists, we sat and told everyone who came into the bar, about our experience, they soon refunded our money. While we sat there, they tried the same with 2 more couples, who were just as verbal in their objection.

Thankfully that was the only unpleasant and unnecessary incident, on the whole cruise, and it certainly won't put us off organising our own excursions.

We did DIY to Herculaneum, easy walk to train station in Sorrento jump

on the train to Ercolano out of station and head straight down the hill

right at end entrance we where gobsmacked how it was preserved we loved it took great photos and then our second to last port our camera

was stolen,so a return vist is required.

Just back from Naples. Herculaneum and Pompeii are so easy to do on your own.

Just over the road outside the port is a Newsagent.

Get your tickets there, 6.30 euros each for a full day pass for trams and train. Catch the Number 1 tram by the newsagent ( he will show you where ). Get off at the train station. Go down the steps to the right and look for your platform on the noticeboard.

The station for Herculaneum is Ercolano Scavi and the station for Pompeii is Pompeii scavi.

Outside the station in Herculaneum you can get a shuttle to the ruins, or it is a nice walk straight down the hill in front of you, you can see the entrance arch in the distance.

You can also get Versuvius shuttles here.

Entry is 11 euros, they don't take credit cards and make sure you have the right money as they had no change when we were there. You can get a guided tour for 10 euros. Groups we say were of 4 people, so almost a private tour.

The new visitor centre is not yet open, so take water in with you.

We enjoyed the walk down and back from the station, some really nice cheap shops and a great market.

The ruins in Pompeii are just by the station and the entry / guide is the same as Herculaneum , but it is a LOT busier.

We did Pompeii on a DIY trip when cruising with Ocean Village. Search the web (and cruise Critic port forum) for detailed instructions to get you to the station. The train is easy and you get a good map when you buy your ticket. If you want more there is a very good self-guided tour you can download from the Net - by an American guy who does them for several sites. I found the link to it on cruise Critic... That having been said we only got around about 60-70% of the site and were there from around 11 to about 3:30pm. And didn't stop for lunch because the only cafe on site was mobbed! (Take water and a snack!) Lots of cafes just outside though, on the way back to the station. The train is a very local service, we had great fun watching the local teenagers fighting and flirting on the way home from school. ;)

Can't comment on Herculaneum, never been there, but the train passes the stop so its quicker to get to, and several other cruisers said they found it "easier to take in"...

Archived