I <heart> Silversea...my confession.

Northerncheapo

Thanks for your comments, Craig. I was stunned when the TA said he would give me X credit on my OBC. I know it came out of his pocket. If he had said that an OBC was impossible, I would have done one cruise on Silversea and never sailed again with the luxury lines. For me, it's a numbers game.

Ruby

You say that now, Ruby, but Silversea is a seductive mistress...she lulls you in sweetly with high levels of service, interesting itineraries and fascinating fellow passengers. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! :D

To the OP, you share my exact concerns about cruising. I did a transatlantic crossing with Cunard this spring and loved it, mainly because of the things it didn't have (contests, line ups, announcements etc). We are now looking at a Carribean cruise this fall and are considering HAL, Celebrity and now Silverseas. I know I'd love Silverseas, no question, but is it worth the extra $ ?

Thanks.

Rgaudet, I believe it is worth the extra money to get the experience that I want. For me, there is no point in spending a dime on a cruise that I Know that I will hate. What's the point? I pay the extra $ for SS and will be SURE that I'll be happy and I don't look back :)

Happy sailing on SS...You will love it!

Ruby, thank you for the kind words...DH and I hope to have many more opportunities for SS cruises! Happy sailing to you!

Ruby, you will be a happy lady if Fernando happens to be your CD. You would have hours to swap Royal Viking stories.

Thanks for that tip! I sailed RVL often for many years until the line shut down and they pulled up the gangway for the last time. A sad day indeed. But I have my RVL orange juice glasses, baggage tags, embossed leather bookmarks, and necklace charm for memories of an outstanding cruise line. In those days, trivia winners were given actual awards, not points.

On Prinsendam two years ago, I passed the Captain in a corridor, he noticed the necklace charm, and exclaimed with surprise and humour, "Royal Viking!"

When RVL sailed from each port, a kitschy song was played over the tannoy about RVL sailing away. At first, it seemed a silly ditty but, after several cruises, I happily sang along.

Each cruise on RVL was high excitement for me as is Silversea for the OP.

Ruby

Ruby, 287 days...but who's counting? :D

I am now trying to figure out my itinerary for each port. Perhaps I will start another thread asking for input. Anita

By all means start a Roll Call for your cruise. It's fun to talk to fellow passengers about plans and ideas for your particular cruise. Just think - you'll be strolling La Rambla in one of my favourite cities in the world, Barcelona, after enjoying another luxurious, exciting voyage on Silversea. Oh. And you'll be a member of the Venetian Society of that same cruise line. An experienced "old hand."

One wants to ask if the cruise or your 25th anniversary is more exciting but perhaps we won't go there. I'm sure each of these events will be marvy in their own way.

Ruby

Just came across your post and LOVED it! We too are avid cruisers, and have sailed on just about every mass-market and small ship line out there. And we couldn't agree more. There is something about luxury cruising that truly defines the experience. 'Gated community cruising', I guess.

Any way, thanks for posting such a great tribute to Silversea and to cruising the way it was intended!

Hi Ruby! Yes, I am very excited about not only the cruise but for celebrating our 25th. In this day and age, and with so many casualities among my friends, I am truely blessed and proud to make 25 years. But, it's only August, so stayed tuned...LOL :p We are spending about a week prior to our cruise in Switzerland, making our way down to Monte Carlo where our cruise leaves from with an overnight stop in Milan. The night before the cruise we are staying at L'hotel du Paris which I am very excited about...it looks beautiful. I'm still wondering how to get from the hotel to the pier, but it's too early for transfer info to be posted.

I was planning on starting a roll call in and around February...thanks for the vote of confidence on that!

Roomer, thank you for the kind words! I laughed out loud and nearly spat out my Shiraz when I read,'Gated community cruising' LOL Happy cruising to you!

I've sailed Disney, Celebrity, & Royal Carribean many times, but now that our youngest child is in highschool, my husband & I are ready to take off for a week & try a 'small' ship. We're booked on the October 11 Silver Wind cruise. I'm a little worried that the waters of the Eastern Mediterranean might be rough or choppy at that time. Has anyone here experienced seasickness on these smaller ships?

Rhumbadancer, may I suggest that you post your very good question on a seperate thread?

I am sure there are lots of SS cruisers who have an answer for you but wont know about your question because the title of this thread is unrelated to your question...they'll just skip on by it ;)

For the record, I did the west med last late sept/oct on Spirit and it was calm as anything...but The Spirit is a 'bigger' boat among the smaller ones.

Have a great cruise!

Archived