New Years Eve In Galveston Suggestions

Karen_N

Can someone suggest what we might do for New Years Eve in Galveston?

We are a family of 6, ages 16, early 20's and early 50's.

We arrive late on the 30th and cruise on the 1st.

For the locals who are so helpful on these boards...

Will there be any family celebrations?

Otherwise suggestion for a decent restaurant within walking distance of the Quality Inn and Suites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Karen

Can someone suggest what we might do for New Years Eve in Galveston?

We are a family of 6, ages 16, early 20's and early 50's.

We arrive late on the 30th and cruise on the 1st.

For the locals who are so helpful on these boards...

Will there be any family celebrations?

Otherwise suggestion for a decent restaurant within walking distance of the Quality Inn and Suites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Karen

Your hotel is at 59th & Seawall, next to the Kroger supermarket. Then comes the convention center at 57th & Seawall, then you get to the Hilton and the San Luis around 56th St. That would probably be your best bet for dinner within walking distance. However, you might enjoy getting a cab and eating on the Strand.

On the other side of your hotel, part of the shopping center/Exxon station along Seawall is a Rita's Italian Ice & Custard. That's a great place to get a snack or dessert with the kids.

I usually do New Year's in downtown Houston, so I can't help with that. Have fun!

Thanks for the info... I have never been to Galveston, not even Texas.

A cab is certainly not out of the question. We want to be where there will be some action on New Years Eve. Any suggestions for dinner on the Strand? I am sure I will have to make reservations a couple of months out.

Karen

Thanks for the info... I have never been to Galveston, not even Texas.

A cab is certainly not out of the question. We want to be where there will be some action on New Years Eve. Any suggestions for dinner on the Strand? I am sure I will have to make reservations a couple of months out.

Karen

Take a peek at galveston.com - look under dining under "things to do." Keep in mind that that website is essentially a tourist guide that businesses pay to advertise on, so they'll tell you that everything is wonderful everywhere, but it's probably the most comprehensive listing of everything on the island I've found.

There's two parts of town where you'll find places to eat and things to do - the Strand and the Seawall. They're fairly close together - the whole island is maybe 4 miles wide - so you can get to and from there via cab pretty easily.

Since you'll have some time on the island during the day, you'll probably enjoy touring the historic homes on the island and such. Moody Gardens does an annual Festival of Lights that runs through New Year's Day, so they may have something going on for New Year's Eve. The San Luis hotel usually does something fancy (and expensive).

My picks for dinner around the Strand would be Olympia Grill at Pier 21 or Rudy & Paco. 901 Postoffice is very good, but very expensive.

Check out galveston.com for lists of places to go, things to do and restaurants.

There are more restaurants on Post Office (Sky Bar, Saltwater Grill, Rudy & Paco's, etc) than Strand (Luigi's, MaggieRita's, Strand Bar & Grill and bars).

There is always a party at the San Luis, but adults only as are most New Year's Eve parties.

Moody Gardens may have something going on, but it would be posted later in the year.

• 4 months later...

If you enjoy football, there is a Bowl game at Reliant Stadium in Houston on New Years Eve at 11am. Texas A&M vs Northwestern. They sell family packs of tickets at a discount of $25 per ticket. http://meinekecarcarebowloftexas.com/

Another family option is Schlitterbahn. The Waterpark in galveston is open on New Years Eve and it's heated. They're open 10a-5p and tickets run around $30pp http://schlitterbahn.com/gal/

If you want to stay in Galveston, the Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens is a great event. Runs from 6pm-10pm Thur-Sat until 12/17, and daily from Dec 18 to Jan 1. Tickets are $5.95pp. http://blog.galveston.com/what-to-do/festival-of-lights-twinkles-back-to-isle-for-10th-anniversary/

Archived