Carnival Victory July 10-17th. Amazing vacation for family of 5

abseas

We were all looking forward to this excursion. We booked a few months ahead of time with Calabaza Sails. This excursion cost more than some of the others, especially for 5 people, but worth every penny!

As usual, I got up before the rest of the family to enjoy my quiet breakfast (becoming a habit I could so get used to). Although I started rousting the troops in plenty of time to get ready, we were the last ones to meet our group at the van...Luckily a forgiving group. We were lucky enough to know a few people from roll call so we felt like we started our day's adventure with new friends. After a short drive, we arrived at the catamaran and were greeted with open arms. From the second we boarded, the crew did everything they could to make us feel welcome. Gina greeted everyone and immediately offered drinks and fresh banana bread. Danny, Andrew and Chad were welcoming and quickly made everyone feel at home. Gina spent time with everyone conversing and giving highlights of the island. The catamaran was wonderful and the company was even better. They offered a wide variety of snacks, refreshments (both alcoholic and non) and made an amazing rum punch. The 1st stop was with the sea turtles and the 2nd was for general snorkeling. Chad got in the water both times and was wonderful with the kids. Our 14 year old son loved him and became his sidekick for the day. They provided life jackets for the younger kids if desired and noodles for the adults/kids if needed. In between snorkeling spots was a full spread for lunch with great food and dessert. These guys are truly 1st class. Our kids loved this excursion. Aside from the biobay experience, this was number 1 for our kids.

P7130423.jpg[/img]

P7130417.jpg[/img]

P7130415.jpg[/img]

P7130414.jpg[/img]

P7130413.jpg[/img]

P7130412.jpg[/img]

DSC_0727.jpg

View of shoreline

DSC_0725.jpg[/img]

DSC_0733.jpg[/img]

I could't resist taking pictures through the porthole window in the bathroom

DSC_0731.jpg[/img]

This is when my family really thought I was nuts!

DSC_0730.jpg[/img]

DSC_0710.jpg[/img]

Not a bad way to spend the day!

Thank you for all the positive responses. I love reliving the trip. I'm a little jealous of all of you who still have the trip coming up...It was definitely a trip to remember. We loved everything about it and would definitely consider doing it again.

One thing that seemed more relaxed on this trip was that the excursions ended a little earlier so there was never that rush to get back to the ship. All our excursions were privately booked but we never once worried that we wouldn't make it make to the ship on time. Actually, we had time at every port to enjoy the shops or have a drink right at the port before getting back on the ship. There was never any rush and the lines to get back on board were minimal. Once on board, the kids would scatter to find their friends (or our sons would get in the much needed teenager nap so they could stay up longer). We always met for dinner and then the kids were free to go hang out again. During the evenings, there was events on the lido deck or shows. We enjoyed the 70's and 80's music nights with the "Name That Tune" type games. We are 80's fans and didn't realize that you could dress in the 80's clothes for that night...Our 10 year old was bummed because she had an 80's birthday party in March and has a whole outfit...My DH and I could have looked in our "maybe I'll fit back into that drawer" and found tons of 80's clothes. If you are into the 80's at all, grab a few things to wear for that night. You'll really have fun.

P1010560-1.jpg[/img]

This was the excursion that got us involved in the roll call for our cruise, which we are so glad we joined. We wanted to take Herod's Land and Sea excursion but needed 10 people. We put out feelers on roll call, and before we knew it, we had enough to book. For anyone interested in booking with Herod, it does take him a few days to reply to his emails but he does eventually respond and offers delivers what he promises. He's a family man running a business and I think that the internet can be fickle sometimes.

We ended up knowing everyone on the excursion which made it even more fun. There was the original 4 from roll call, another couple that we met on a previous excursion and the family of 4 that we had become friends with. Herod accommodated them at the last minute by providing an additional vehicle. We travelled in an air conditioned van and 2nd car which were well stocked with water, Piton beer, soda and, of course, rum punch. If anyone from this excursion is reading this, we want to thank you for putting up with our, sometimes moody, children...No matter how old the kids get, if you put them next to each other in a car long enough, they will start bickering!

St. Lucia ended up being our favorite port as far as sheer beauty goes. It was so lush and green with beautiful flowers and vegetation.

DSC_0744.jpg[/img]

VIEW FROM OUR CABIN IN PORT

DSC_0745.jpg[/img]

DSC_0747.jpg[/img]

Our tour included all the highlights of St. Lucia. We started in the city and travelled out towards the fishing villages and Soufriere. There was several "kodak moments" along the way. Herod explained the history and culture and stopped along the way to take in the view.

DSC_0748.jpg[/img]

VIEW OF OUR SHIP ALONG THE WAY

DSC_0758.jpg[/img]

DSC_0752.jpg[/img]

We stopped to see the "snake man" along the side of the road, but we opted for a quick picture from the van (not too excited about the snake thing).

DSC_0773.jpg[/img]

DSC_0759.jpg[/img]

DSC_0776.jpg[/img]

Our next stop was the banana plantation to sample fresh bananas (yummy!). We also bought banana chips and a few other fruits from vendors. I wish I could remember the name of the fruit that we tried that would definitely not be remembered as a favorite by our DS...

DSC_0767.jpg[/img]

DSC_0765.jpg[/img]

Somewhere along the way, Herod stopped at a local bakery and picked up some fresh baked. buttered bread to tide us over until lunch. We made our way to the volcano and mud baths. The sulfur smell was not as bad as I thought it would be but it was definitely present. There are bathrooms and changing rooms at this stop. Our group opted out of the mud bath but we looked around for awhile, grabbed a drink and continued on.

P7140455.jpg[/img]

DSC_0779.jpg[/img]

DSC_0794.jpg[/img]

VIEW OF VOLCANO...PLUG YOUR NOSE!

Next came one of the highlights of the excursion...A homemade lunch at Herod's mother's house out on the front patio. It was a full creole buffet with fresh juice and a wonderful view. It was wonderful and what a great addition to an already amazing excursion.

P7140458.jpg[/img]

P7140462.jpg[/img]

VIEW FROM PATIO

P7140463.jpg[/img]

P7140465.jpg[/img]

After our wonderful lunch, we were off to the see the Pitons and to snorkel.

DSC_0790.jpg[/img]

ONE OF OUR 1ST VIEWS OF THE PITONS

The area to snorkel was beautiful. We rented snorkel gear but others brought their own. They had bathrooms and showers. We stayed a a few hours which was plenty of time. There wasn't as many fish as we would've liked but there was plenty to look at. It was a nice calm area that is roped off for snorkelers so even our 10 year old was fine (she isn't too sure about the snorkeling thing yet). When it was time, we were picked up by a speed boat and were taken back to the port. The ride back was a little wild, but safe, and we were back in no time. I definitely see why people recommend going by land only one way. It would be a painful ride back by van after you've seen most of the sights and had an eventful, fun day.

DSC_0816.jpg[/img]

DSC_0821.jpg[/img]

DSC_0822.jpg[/img]

P7140478.jpg[/img]

P7140532.jpg[/img]

Sorry to post a photo from our cruise but you seem to like taking the same photos I do and I am enjoying them all very much. I even bought a 3-d little 5x7" plaque art scene of Old San Juan with the buildings and their balconies from a little souvenier drugstore type shop. They are so easy to photograph being quanit,bright and different than US.

Very cool picture. I'm glad to hear that someone else was excited to take pictures of buildings...My family thought I was a little crazy. What size are the pictures you posted? I'm still a little slow with the whole posting picture stuff.

Thanks for the pictures!

I too enjoyed taking pictures of the buildings in Old San Juan. Reminded me a lot of the French Quarter here in New Orleans with all the wrought iron balconies.

I'm enjoying the review and your pictures very much. We really enjoyed your family. I guess I was oblivious to any bickering among the kids. Herod's tour was a lot of fun with everyone. I do highly recommend this tour to anyone who is looking for a way to see St. Lucia. It was a wonderful day.

Wonderful review! I wish the trip wasn't over with. We agree the trip in Barbados was perfect and well worth the money. If we ever take our kids to Barbados we are going to do this one again. We also loved our day in St. Lucia. Your kids were fine and did not impact our day at all. Actually I am glad they were along because I was missing my kids and having your kids around helped, especially when they started with the; she touched me spat. :D My kids do that all the time. I was glad to see other families deal with the same thing and its just not our kids. Your kids were also so funny. That fruit that they tried in St. Lucia made me laugh so hard. Their faces were priceless, espcially your youngest son.

Can't wait to read the rest of your review and enjoy the memories.

Since all of you guys have been on this cruise I need help! My husband and I are leaving for this cruise on Jan 22. We are looking into booking flights right now. I hear it is absolutely crazy getting from the cruise port/boat to SJU airport. 8 miles in 45 minutes I hear! DOes anyone see it possible for us to make a 11:15 am flight departing out of SJU on time?? We plan on holding onto our luggage and trying to get off the boat as quickly as possible, waving for a cab and then running to get on our plane. DO you think its possible to make this flight. I hear Carnival doesnt recommend any flight before 12noon. The 11:15 flight is really the only flight that will connect us to Florida in time to board another flight back home in time. Any tips, suggestions??

Since all of you guys have been on this cruise I need help! My husband and I are leaving for this cruise on Jan 22. We are looking into booking flights right now. I hear it is absolutely crazy getting from the cruise port/boat to SJU airport. 8 miles in 45 minutes I hear! DOes anyone see it possible for us to make a 11:15 am flight departing out of SJU on time?? We plan on holding onto our luggage and trying to get off the boat as quickly as possible, waving for a cab and then running to get on our plane. DO you think its possible to make this flight. I hear Carnival doesnt recommend any flight before 12noon. The 11:15 flight is really the only flight that will connect us to Florida in time to board another flight back home in time. Any tips, suggestions??

I have been working so much to make up for vacation, that I haven't been able to get back on here. Disembarkation, for us, was amazingly fast. We were off the ship, luggage in hand, grabbed a taxi and were checking into Embassy Suites (which happens to be right by the airport) by 8:35am. Our friends were off the ship even earlier because they kept their luggage and took it off themselves. I would only think it would be even easier in January.

Archived