Belize without an Excursion?

vtwiggy

We are cruising on the Carnival Glory this December. I'm looking through excursions on Carnival's website and I'm not feeling particularly inspired by any of them in Belize except possibly cave tubing. (Does anyone have any strong feelings either way about cave tubing? DH and I are both in our mid-20s.) What's the area around the port like? Is there anything to see or any shopping to do without having an excursion planned? How safe is the area around the port? This is our second cruise and we are trying to be a little less scheduled, but we do want to get off the ship and see a little of Belize at least. We're planning on doing snorkeling in Roatan and possibly Cozumel, and it seems like a lot of the excursions in Belize are sort of redundant to what's in Roatan or Cozumel. Thanks for your advice!

If your not doing an excursion in Belize I wouldnt bother getting off the ship personally. Its a lonnggggg boat ride from the ship to tender over to the island. Cave Tubing is a BLAST!!! My wife (in her 20s) and myself (early 30s) loved it! We have done it a few times now. We liked it so much we took my mother (mid 50s) and sister (late 20s) on the western caribbean cruise just so we could take them cave tubing in belize. It really is a neat experience. I personally dont feel a point to get off the ship though if you dont have an excursion planned. the town around the port is real run down and you will get "sales" people harrassing you like crazy and the farther you get from port the less safe your going to feel...and I mean minutes walk from the port.

Roatan has some pretty decent snorkeling as does Belize and Cozumel.

We have a different feel for the port area. The two times we walked around out there, the eager hawkers just outside the Tourist Village didn't make us feel endangered. We really enjoyed the Flea Market just outside the T.V. It's also a very short walk to the water taxi that will take you to Caye Caulker, which is well worth a visit, especially if you want to just enjoy a beach town.

I'm not painting everyone with the same brush, but IMO skin color and economic status differences may be a significant factor in why some folks (and I am not pointing at anyone in particular) feel less than comfortable outside the gates.

We really really enjoyed cave tubing, it's one of the best shore excursions we've taken. Wouldn't recommend the Carnival tours though, I'd book a private excursion. The Carnival tours are too large, and don't go through as many caves. The private tour we took entered the river further upstream, covered more caves, and was a much smaller group (we all traveled in a 12 passenger van rather than multiple tour buses). Next time we're there we want to check out San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. That's that town Madonna sang about and where they made the Temptation Island series. This looks interesting:

https://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/Default.asp

Thanks for the tips. I am leaning more towards the cave tubing excursion after hearing such good things about it. I lean more towards the cautious (ok, paranoid) side about going off on our own in the port cities. We went to Nassau, Bahamas two years ago and did the Atlantis excursion. We had a little time to walk around Nassau afterwards and I was sort of sketched out. We didn't go far from the cruise ship. Part of that was probably the warnings we kept hearing about recent muggings of tourists.

Anyone else have any experience booking cave tubing through someone besides the cruise line? Again, my paranoia is rising.. but the site you suggested is MUCH cheaper than going through Carnival and if anything rivals my paranoia it's my cheapness :)

Thanks for the tips!

If you don't plan on doing an excursion there is no reason to even get off the ship in Belize. unless you plan on buying drugs. Its that simple.

I am amazed that cruise ships even stop there.

Just a little insight about me real quick....I am FAR from a paranoid type of person. I work in law enforcement around all types of people from the average citizen to the hardest of criminals (felons, killers, gangbangers and drug addicts) and I can honestly say I see no reason to walk around Belize outside of the port village area. This has nothing to do with the skin color or poverty level in that area...it has to do with the criminal activity and the pestering in that area. I am a VERY adventurous person and I am up for doing nearly anything and going nearly anywhere. If I had to walk around Belize...I would. BUT if I dont HAVE to why would I...there is nothing to see or do there outside of the port village unless your taking an excursion somewhere or getting away from that part of town.

Cave tubing we have used Xstream Cave tubing every time we have gone there and have been more then happy with their service. And the lunch they provide is awesome as well!

OK, so I went back and reread my post. I should have added that I wouldn't advise anyone to wander all over the city for a walking tour, just as I wouldn't in many areas of the Bronx, Miami, etc. Having said that, there are a lot things worth buying besides drugs at the Flea Market just outside the TV, and the walk to the water taxi to Caye Caulker is brief.

If you don't plan on doing an excursion there is no reason to even get off the ship in Belize. unless you plan on buying drugs. Its that simple.

I am amazed that cruise ships even stop there.

Check out Gene Simmons show this tuesday. Belize is featured and I am sure you may see somthing other than drugs you may like in Belize.:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Just a little insight about me real quick....I am FAR from a paranoid type of person. I work in law enforcement around all types of people from the average citizen to the hardest of criminals (felons, killers, gangbangers and drug addicts) and I can honestly say I see no reason to walk around Belize outside of the port village area. This has nothing to do with the skin color or poverty level in that area...it has to do with the criminal activity and the pestering in that area. I am a VERY adventurous person and I am up for doing nearly anything and going nearly anywhere. If I had to walk around Belize...I would. BUT if I dont HAVE to why would I...there is nothing to see or do there outside of the port village unless your taking an excursion somewhere or getting away from that part of town.

Cave tubing we have used Xstream Cave tubing every time we have gone there and have been more then happy with their service. And the lunch they provide is awesome as well!

I agree 100%. I have been to third world countries and Belize is no exception. I do not mind skin color or poverty. My best girl friend and I decided to explore on our own in Belize City last year- big mistake. From the minute we emerged from the Tourist Village, we were harrassed and followed. We took a taxi and soon realized that we were being conned by the driver. There is nothing that is really worth seeing in Belize City, trust me.

Outside of the city is probably a different story. I just have never felt so unsafe in my life, and I have traveled to several foreign countries.

Book an excursion or stay on the boat!!!

Archived