Basketball Final Four in NOLA in March

ebbinns

After booking a March 31, 2012 NOLA departure, I tried finding a hotel room for March 30 and have found nothing available yet due to the NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four that weekend.

Even if I could find something in the area, I'm thinking that the area around the Superdome and port will be crazy busy. I'm seriously considering changing our cruise to avoid this mess.

I guess it also explains why airfare seems quite high.

Any thoughts?

I cant offer much as far as help, but I just found out the same thing today. I am sailing on April 1, 2012. I don't intend to change my cruise due to the timing is perfect for all those going, but I do not look forward to the crowds. I am hoping it will not be too bad in the morning and I will arrive early to give plenty of time for traffic and other delays. I am also considering getting a hotel in Metairie or similar and taking a cab to the pier since they will know the best way to avoid the traffic. Of course I'll be looking for advice before I make any definite plans.

No one knows what teams will be in the Final Four until just a few days before, so I am sure the NCAA has blocks of rooms booked at all of big hotels (like the Sheraton, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt). I would try some of the smaller hotels or try calling the Convention & Visitors Bureau (we have two for some reason). You can also try a Bed & Breakfast. Rooms may free up closer to the date (when the field of teams get narrowed down). Keep in mind that even though the Final Four is very big, it is not a Super Bowl, which brings many, many more people who do not even go to the game.

Metairie is a good, safe convenient option if you have a car. Trying to use public transportation would be very time consuming and impossible from most locations. Some of the Metairie hotels do offer a shuttle to Lakeside Mall, but I do not think any go downtown. You can ask though.

Keep in mind that in New Orleans there is always something going on. It could be the Sugar Bowl, the BCS Championship, Mardi Gras, NCAA Final Four Jazz Fest, French Quarter Fest, Essence Fest, etc. We get a lot of major conventions and quite a few smaller ones, but we have lots of hotel rooms. I would not hesitate to come down during this weekend - yes, it will be crowded, but there will be lots of things going on. There will be events associated with the games, but there will usually be more music options, extended hours for events, etc.

I was able to find rooms at the Super 8 in Metairie and at the Best Western in Harvey. Both offer cruise parking deals and though not as close as I would have liked they aren't bad. I made reservations and can always cancel closer to time if a better deal opens up. I have normally pricelined a hotel for New Orleans, but probably will not this trip due to wanting to park my car for an extended period of time. Hope this info helps. :D

You do not want to stay in Harvey. Stay in Metairie, but I probably wouldn't recommend the Super 8 hotel area. There are a group of bars near there where there are problems on occasion.

You can also check the New Orleans hotels as that week approaches. As team get eliminated, hotel reservations will change dramatically.

Lynda,

Could you explain why you say not to stay in the Harvey area? The best western has great reviews and was actually recommended on the Carnival forums by other cruisers. Just curious as to your reasoning. Everyone has different standards and preferences. Thanks.

Safety would be my primary concern. It is not the worst area, but it is not the best. It is on a main thoroughfare (although off the main westbank road) and as long as you stay on a main street you should be OK, but I would not walk anywhere. That being said, crime can happen anywhere.

You are also very far away from everything. My husband compares it to visiting NYC, but staying in New Jersey. Traffic will be a problem during rush hours during the week, but should not be too much of problem on weekends (unless there is a parade somewhere and you just never know when there is a parade!)

I have only stayed in the French Quarter in New Orleans, but rooms look scarce right now. I have some reservations as insurance, but will look closer to the cruise and see about upgrading. I don't plan on walking in Harvey any. Just a place to crash. My plan was if I stay there to take the algiers ferry across and spend the day in the French Quarter and then come back for a good nights sleep in prep for my cruise. I know I wont sleep much on the ship so I better start out right. LOL. Thanks again for the info.

I wouldn't worry too much about the traffic or the crowds. The Arena only holds about 20,000 people (vs. more than 80,000 in the Superdome), and it is all the way across town from the cruise terminal.

I wouldn't worry too much about the traffic or the crowds. The Arena only holds about 20,000 people (vs. more than 80,000 in the Superdome), and it is all the way across town from the cruise terminal.

The final four will be played in the Superdome. Don't know what the seating configuration will be or number of seats.

And yes, it is not near the terminal.

JimmyJames

The games are being played in the Superdome.

Isn't the Superdome just a few blocks from the cruise ship terminal?

I booked a room at Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St near the French Quarter, but the rate was outrageous. We're now looking at getting an early morning flight into MSY on the day of cruise departure rather than trying to get in the day before.

Thanks for the advice!

Archived