Maritime Command Museum vs Maritime Museum in Halifax

As a retired naval officer and avid historian/museum geek, I'd like anyone's comparison of subject museums. My AAA Tour book and their respective web-sites seem to indicate the Maritime Command Museum would be more interesting to the historian of WWII; the Maritime Museum comes across more as touristy "nautical " museum primarily aimed at landlubbers from interior states. Would like to hear comments from anyone who has visited both. Our port stop duration only allows time to visit one and still do a quick city-wide bus/ walking tour. Which should it be?

I have not been to the Maritime Command Museum (kind of sad since my Dad was in the navy during WWII and after until retirement).

The Maritime Museum displays ships of many kinds, including a real one you can board. It also has artifacts from the Titanic.

Unless walking is an issue, you do not need a bus tour. You could take the Harbour Hopper and with whatever time you have left, walk in the harbourfront area.

Another museum to consider seriously is the Pier 21 Immigration Museum which is next to where you ship will dock.

The library of maritime history (just inside the front door and does not require an entry fee) is outstanding and has been very helpful to me when doing research on WWII ships which came to Halifax.

link: http://www.pier21.ca/home

Of course, I do buy a ticket each visit and I want to support this fine museum.

Ad House as its known as would be your best choice. Mar Musem very close to the Cruise Terminal offers Titanic history as well as Nova Scotia sailing history, Halifax Explosion. The Ad House Musem would offer history etc of Canadas Navy http://psphalifax.ca/marcommuseum/ Beautiful building located At CFB Stadacona( Navy land base about 20-25 minutes by cab from the pier. Im sure you would have much more enjoyment and pleasure visiting the old Ad House as we know it. Hope this is some help and enjoy your visit to Halifax

Downeaster- Thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure how far away from pier the Admiralty House was. Trying to figure whether we can fit Peggys Cove, Citadel, Ad House and Maritime Museun into a 7 hour visit using a rental car! May be too ambitious, and result in "streaking" the venues, rather than actually seeing them. Any comment?

Downeaster- Thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure how far away from pier the Admiralty House was. Trying to figure whether we can fit Peggys Cove, Citadel, Ad House and Maritime Museun into a 7 hour visit using a rental car! May be too ambitious, and result in "streaking" the venues, rather than actually seeing them. Any comment?

I worked at the base as a naval communicator, therefore found the museum at CFB Halifax / Stadacona very interesting, especially the old uniforms. It is 2.5 miles from the ship and shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to get to by cab. I strongly suggest the Citadel as a stop if you are interested in history - you may particularly enjoy the reenactments and the cannon going off at 12:00 noon.

I think doing all those stops is too ambitious. You'll just have to come back. Grab the car early and get to Peggy's. It is beautiful before the tour busses arrive. Then go back to Halifax and go the the AD House, Citadel and see how much time is left. The Maritime Museum is on the waterfront on your way to your ship.

Example: Ship arrives ast 8:00 nearest rental CN Station 10-15 minutes from ship. Paperwork, car inspection etc 15-45 minutes depending on how busy they are,, Lets say you get underway by 9:30 a.m. 1 hr to Peggys, 1 hour should cover that venue, 1 hour return= 12:30 p.m. lunch 1 hour now 1:15 p.m. the Ad House according to your likes perhaps 1 1/2 hours, In my humble opinion The Citadel is a minimum of 3 hours to throughly enjoy everything there, leaving the Mar Museum which is another hour. Bear in mind that returning the car requires a fill up of gas plus the usual paperwork at the rental which is quite cvlose to the pier. Hope I have not discouraged your endeavors buit these are choices you weill have to make

Hope this is of some help regards

Archived