Suggestion for best shore excursion in Cozumel please

allurenewbie

We'd like to sightsee, see some Mayan ruins and snorkel. What would be the best shore excursion to book to be able to do all of this. We are newbies and I'm getting confused by all of the choices for activities in port.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I have been to cozumel twice and never did an excursion there .. we just took a cab to Mr. Sanchos and great time tons of stuff to do there very clean and good food. and they dont charge an admission.

All of the Mayan sites are on the mainland, Tulum is the closest. If you are visiting Progresso I'd do the Mayan thing from there. Cozumel is all about the reef, scuba diving, snorkeling, beaches and shopping. I really enjoyed the Atlantis sub though.

We have been to Cozumel many times and overall, our favorite place is Chankanaab Park. It is a beautiful park with a manmade beach but on a reef so there is great snorkeling from the beach (there are stairs that lead down into the water. They rent snorkeling equipment there). There is a beautiful lagoon that is so clear you can see the fish swimming in it but you can't swim in it. There are nature trails with Mayan ruin replicas and usually a lady or two making torillas in a replica Mayan Hut. There are iguanas walking around everywhere. There is a great open air restaurant with very good food. There are lots of trees, nice setups with the big straw umbrellas on the beach (and it has always been easy for us to get one). The servers will come to you for bar and food orders but they have never been pushy.

Also, if you wanted to try beginner scuba, you can do so right there on the beach by going to one of teh huts. You don't have to pre book and anyone can do it. It is amazing! You do it right off of the beach. They reach you all you need right before. It is not a very deep dive. Perfect for beginners.

Also, another great thing about Chankanaab, it is very close, about 10 to 15 minutes by taxi. Overall, it is the most well-rounded place in our opinion.

If you like to drink, love the sun and a beautiful beach, then Nachi Cocom is the place to go! Playa Mia is very good as well but the food at Nachi is much, much better! They have any drink you want. I acn't wait to go back! YOu simply fil out a form on their website. YOu give themm your credit/debit card number only to hold. YOu are NOT charged unless you don't show up and I think they keep 20 percent. However, if you do show up on the date specified on your form(you print this form and bring to the resort}, you pay in cash only at the gate. Hope this helps,

SHARON

Having only been to Coz once, I'm no authority. But unless you have a long day in port, I don't think you're going to be able to do all of those things in one day. Some of the ruins (I'm told) are a long drive away from the port.

There are some ruins in Coz.. you can have a cab take you around to them before you go to the beach. They are not as large as the ones one the mainlnd but you can at least say you went to some. But as someone else said if you want large ruins then do an excursion in Progresso if yor ship stops there (Chitzen Itzca) Hope that helps you.

Archived