FOS Cooking Class

Just wanted to post my experience.

3 of us took the Knife Skills and All About Chicken classes on the Freedom of the Seas a few weeks ago. Both classes were very good. The instructor and his assistant were very patient. The instructor would demonstrate the skill then we would go to our own stations to try what we learned. They gave individual attention to anyone that needed it. It was held in Chops and we had to go back into the kitchen a few times which was cool. The chefs were back there preparing somethings for that night and they were very friendly, telling us what they were making. We made many dishes that we were able to enjoy at the end of the class. We were even able to bring some leftovers back to the cabin for others to try.

They gave us recipe cards for all the dishes we made and an apron to keep. A little pricey but I would definitely sign up for another class on my next cruise.

Just wanted to post my experience.

3 of us took the Knife Skills and All About Chicken classes on the Freedom of the Seas a few weeks ago. Both classes were very good. The instructor and his assistant were very patient. The instructor would demonstrate the skill then we would go to our own stations to try what we learned. They gave individual attention to anyone that needed it. It was held in Chops and we had to go back into the kitchen a few times which was cool. The chefs were back there preparing somethings for that night and they were very friendly, telling us what they were making. We made many dishes that we were able to enjoy at the end of the class. We were even able to bring some leftovers back to the cabin for others to try.

They gave us recipe cards for all the dishes we made and an apron to keep. A little pricey but I would definitely sign up for another class on my next cruise.

What was the price?

In knife skills, they taught us different techniques with a knife. We cut up different vegetables and herbs. The Knife Skills was $90 which we booked online. When we boarded they had a table set up on the promenade and let us book the chicken class for $80 because they had a special if you booked both classes it was $170.

$90 - That's seems kind of steep. Did you learn anything exceptional to justify that cost? Was it how to rock the knife and keep your fingers out of the way, or more than that? (I'm thinking maybe I don't know what I don't know - if you get my drift.)

I thought it was a little steep but I did learn different knife techniques for different situations. We also made a vegetable soup and sweet potato fries with a dip which we ate at the end of the class with champagne. The class was 2 1/2 hours long and it was alot to learn. Most were new to me but I have never taken a cooking class before. One woman in our class had taken a class in France and said she learned some new things. In my opinion it was a good class and a fun thing to do on a day at sea.

• 3 months later...
$90 - That's seems kind of steep. Did you learn anything exceptional to justify that cost? Was it how to rock the knife and keep your fingers out of the way, or more than that? (I'm thinking maybe I don't know what I don't know - if you get my drift.)

WOW! $90 for a Knife Skills cooking class is a lot....At that cost, I do not think I will consider those classes.

Archived