Cozumel and Progresso

mylof

We'll be heading to Cozumel and Progresso on the Carnival Triumph in August.

Our family is interested in beach going and snorkeling.

It's my understanding that Progresso isn't a great snorkeling destination. What's the best beach to go to?

For Cozumel, we'd like to do a snorkel tour along with beach, but also leave some time for shopping and eating. Any recommendations?

Any other thoughts on these two ports? Do's and Don'ts, Restaurants?

Thanks in advance!

Cozumel and Progresso are on the eastern side of Mexico and aren't part of the Mexican Riviera (Western coast). If you look in the Carribean folder http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587 you will find folders for both Cozumel and Progresso where should have better luck getting information. In fact you'll probably have too much. Cozumel is one of the best snorkeling spots in the world.

Enjoy

Ron

I personally wasn't interested in Progresso's beach. I'm glad I didn't go because the jelly fish in that area around the ship during that time were so thick you could practically walk on them. I don't know about the beach because we didn't go there...but several people were complaining a bit.

PROGRESSO: We DID go take the Mayan tour with the Cenote. That was nice. The Cenote was a nice little pond for swimming. A lot of people LOVED "Merida" for shopping. There really wasn't time for both the Mayan tour and "Merida". "I" felt the shopping at the "port" in Progresso was pretty "lame"...I bought absolutely NOTHING...but they did have some dancers that were cool. If you "do" want to shop at port. The big shop is "over priced" compared to the little shops.

COZUMEL: We went on the Fury Snorkle and Beach tour. That was GREAT. We had some snorkle time, beer, margaritas (a little dancing on the boat) then they took us to a beach with several water "toys" (slides etc) and kayaks and surfboards free. They also had horseback riding and jet skis for a fee. If you get the earliest boat...you'll have a good amount of time for some shopping in Cozumel in the general port. They have lots of nice shops there...I wouldn't have minded heading over to Jimmy Buffets but we were on one of the "last boats"...so we didn't have as much time...but we still shopped.

Archived